HELP! If you have an EMERGENCY situation with your truck, or you need IMMEDIATE technical help, use this board.

92 CTD warmed up and quit

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2007, 08:19 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
92 CTD warmed up and quit

hi all I have recently purchase a 1992 250 CTD with 5 speed. The other day I had it plugged in and it started fine, let it warm up about 10-15 minutes then when I was driving out the driveway went to accelerate a little and it died. I have pulled off the fuel filter and checked the fuel in it for ice it was good, I can pull fuel with my vaccuum pump up the supply line from the tank, I have removed the discharge line off of the pickup pump and have worked the priming lever on the side of the pump but no fuel is coming out. I have suspected the pump but these are not a cheap item $150.00 so I don't want to just change it if it is not the problem. I have done some reading here but most of the posts are for newer trucks so I thought I would throw this out there and see what I got back. Thanks for any help.
Old 02-16-2007, 08:59 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I don't have a lot of info.But because you said it was plugged in I'll assume its cold wherever your at. Its not so much the water but the parafine gelling in your filter. So,the first thing to do is Go get some Power Service 911. Its the fuel additive in the RED bottle.and a new fuel filter. Fill the new filter with the P/S 911 And add the rest to your tank. Try this and report back.You should be into this for about $20. Do not try substatutes or winging it.This 911 is designed for the gelling problem.The directions are on the bottle.
Old 02-16-2007, 09:03 AM
DTR's Night Watchman & Poet Laureate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
layton... You may have air in your lines from somewhere. Crack the bleeder banjo nut above the fuel filter and see if you have fuel when you crank it over. If not, its probably the lift pump or a clogged filter( even if it looked good.)
if you have fuel there, then loosen or "crack" an injector line at the injector. Crank it over and see if you have a good flow of fuel there. Bleed any air out of the system and it should start. Crack #1, #3 and #6( from teh frontof the engine back)
BUT FIRST! Check the wiring at the Fuel Shut-Off Solenoid( FSO) it is located on the top rear of the injection pump. The connection there often comes loose and will shut off fuel flow.

Hope this helps!!
Old 02-16-2007, 09:04 AM

I am in Winnipeg and on Monday it was around minus 30 celsius. I removed the filter poured out the old fuel and replaced it with fresh fuel from one of our above ground tanks. I am not sure if this is the problem but am more concerned about not being able to pull fuel through the pick up pump by use of the priming lever on the side of the pump.
Old 02-16-2007, 09:07 AM

Originally Posted by Layton
I am in Winnipeg and on Monday it was around minus 30 celsius. I removed the filter poured out the old fuel and replaced it with fresh fuel from one of our above ground tanks. I am not sure if this is the problem but am more concerned about not being able to pull fuel through the pick up pump by use of the priming lever on the side of the pump.
The temp probably shouldnt have been the issue if it fired up at all... I would guess that the filter clogged, or more likely teh FSO wiring came loose. If you ever have a doubt about your filter, replace it. dumping it and refilling it wont really solve anything and could let contaminants into the fuel lines. and ditto on Bumpys advice.. I took it for granted you use an anti-gell, being in Canada...
Old 02-16-2007, 09:12 AM

If you do not know when the last time the filter was changed .change it, you will not pour the problem out,check the wiring but at -30 you problerly don't want to be messing with the lines and such.The truck would do exactly as you described if your gelled up. Do what you want but this is where I'd start.
Old 02-16-2007, 09:13 AM

Originally Posted by Layton
am more concerned about not being able to pull fuel through the pick up pump by use of the priming lever on the side of the pump.

the priming lever on my lift pump doesnt work worth a toot either, but it pulls plenty of fuel when cranking the engine over.....
Old 02-16-2007, 09:14 AM

Okay will try new filter but any thought on the lift pump issue. i have worked on diesels iin the past and have run them out of fuel, usually all I did was crack lines like you said and then work the lever on the lift pump. This should start pumping fuel right away but I am not getting anything. is there another filter or screen in these lift pumps?
thanks
Old 02-16-2007, 09:16 AM

try the antigell 911 FIRST... gelled fule will clog the filter and lines...then if that doesnt get it, start with other things
Old 02-16-2007, 09:21 AM

Okay thanks alot will go and get filter and let you know how i make out. by the way what is BHAF and old smokey mount
Old 02-16-2007, 09:24 AM

Layton, go to the First Gen Forum and read the Stickey thread....

https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/...d.php?t=102027
Old 02-16-2007, 10:21 AM

bump the engine the pump may be on top of the cam lobe,
Clark
Old 02-16-2007, 10:24 AM

Check my photo Gallery for the BigHonkenAirFilter And Old smoky Mount for it All you need is in my gallery.
Old 02-16-2007, 04:12 PM

ITS alive the filter must have plugged in the coolldd temps we were having and I wasn't driving it much. Changed filter bled and she's purrin again. thanks to everyone and I did glance at the sticky and will read more as I saw a few things that I can uses.
Old 02-16-2007, 10:32 PM

Also check all of the electrical terminals that plug onto the injection pump. Vibration causes the slip on terminals to wear and sometimes the engine will just shut off. Squeeze the terminals with a pliers to tighten them and put them back on if loose.

I just traded the same year model to my buddy and this just happened to him a recently.