HELP! If you have an EMERGENCY situation with your truck, or you need IMMEDIATE technical help, use this board.

2003 stalls on Highway!!! Need help quick.

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2008, 12:36 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2003 stalls on Highway!!! Need help quick.

I just got towed off a busy snow covered highway at night. Dangerous spot, tow truck did a great job. Was driving about an hour earlier up a long mountain road, truck starts acting like it's ready to stall out. RPM go up and down and for a few seconds as I'm driving about 40 miles an hour. Keeps running but RPM still jumping around. Turn around, drive home. Go driving the neighbourhood, no problems. Head back up the mountain road, make it all the way up and down no problem. Driving along the flats at about 60 mph, truck just stalls. I've been able to start it after turning it over a long time. Idles and stalls. Start again after a few attempts, idles, I rev it up to about 2500 and then it just stalls. Now I turn it over and it will not start. The only unusual thing I noticed for a while which I don't think is related, is I would get a knocking sound like something is loose under the drivers floor boards. Inconsistent noise but I would say worse when the truck is first driven in the morning. Ironically I looked under my truck tonight just prior to driving it just to see if I could see anything that is loose causing the knocking sound. Can't see anything that could potentially cause it. I've recently done all new front u-joints, upper and lower ball joints and shocks. Like I say, I don't think the noise I heard has anything to do with the stalling but you just never know. I think it's not getting fuel. Change my fuel filter regularily, did not see any water in fuel light come on and buy diesel at a busy dealer. Any suggestions would be appreciated before I talk to the dealer in the morning.
Old 01-30-2008, 03:59 AM

Any fuel conditioner to keep it from gelling in the cold temps?
Old 01-30-2008, 08:17 AM

check your fuel filter also. sounds like water in fuel gelled in the filter.
Old 01-30-2008, 09:05 AM

It was too dark and late to check the filter for gelling but luckily I was within miles of a dealer so I'll go check on it today. Thanks for your suggestions.
Old 01-30-2008, 09:32 PM

So here is the update. Lift pump gone. Under warranty. Will do an ECM update, and fuel filter. Problem solved. (I hope) The tow truck last night was a Ford F450. Had to lift my truck from the front. His front tires were just about floating off the ground. He did a good job.
Old 01-30-2008, 10:34 PM
DTR's Volcano Monitor, Toilet Smuggler, Taser tester, Meteorite enumerator, Quill counter, Match hoarder, Panic Dance Choreographer, Bet losing shrew murderer

How many miles on the truck? (keep waiting for my LP to go)
Old 01-30-2008, 10:58 PM

82,000 Kilometers which is about 51,000 miles.
Old 02-01-2008, 05:22 PM

My bro. has an '03 w/45,000 the LP just went south. The cost $1400 @ dealer covered under warranty
Old 12-07-2009, 10:18 PM

Having the same problem (MAYBE)

What is a lift pump?

My truck kind of does the same thing.

It will run ok at a steady pace say 55mph. If I give it some throttle it starts missing and sputtering, especially when I am going up a hill. It has completely quit 2 times when at red lights. After it quits, I crank it for about 30 seconds (on and off) it fires right up. It also misses and sputters with not much power at all when I accelerate 3rd 4th and 5th gears.

I have been told I may have water in my diesel. Please help I am on the road visiting family and am worried about getting home.
Old 12-08-2009, 03:54 AM

Originally Posted by krisbarger
What is a lift pump?

My truck kind of does the same thing.

It will run ok at a steady pace say 55mph. If I give it some throttle it starts missing and sputtering, especially when I am going up a hill. It has completely quit 2 times when at red lights. After it quits, I crank it for about 30 seconds (on and off) it fires right up. It also misses and sputters with not much power at all when I accelerate 3rd 4th and 5th gears.
Your lift pump is located on the back side of the fuel filter on the left side of the engine if it has not been replaced by a dealer and then it will be in the tank.

It sounds like your lift pump is failing. A quick and easy fix is to get an OEM replacement from Geno's, if it is still on the filter. It would be much better to go with an after market pump but would be a lot more work to install.
Old 12-09-2009, 12:23 PM

check your lift pump pressure befor buying a new one. you should have around 15psi deadhead
Old 12-09-2009, 02:56 PM

The original pump on the filter only produced 10 psi at idle. I changed mine out when the pressure dropped to 6 psi at WOT before it completly failed. The pump can still run but not produce enough fuel to the CP3 with engine under a load.

There is a flow test that can be easily done. Put an extension on the fuel filter drain and place a container to catch the fuel and run the pump by turning on the ignition and bump the starter, do not start the engine. Time the seconds that the pump runs, including the 2 seconds that the pump runs when you turn the ignition on. I am not sure of the amount of fuel that the pump should produce, so many gallons per minute. Perhaps someone else will know.

If you check the pressure, 4psi at WOT is the minimum required, which is what I was watching for before I changed mine.