HELP! If you have an EMERGENCY situation with your truck, or you need IMMEDIATE technical help, use this board.

2002 fuel pressure problems

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2004, 05:48 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2002 fuel pressure problems

Hello to all....Myles the piano rebuilder here again. Problems have arisen once again with my 2002 ISB. Was going down the road when the fuel pressure dropped down to 5psi. I pulled over and called my mechanic who told me to immediately bring the truck to him.

After having it for 4 1/2 weeks in his garage (!!!!), and after replacing the lift pump (this is my third one in the past 15,000 miles) and the fuel canister in the fuel tank, he called me to say it was finished. The Lift pump was still under warranty, but the canister was $330 plus another $400 labor! As I was driving home from his shop, I glanced at my pressure gauge only to see it drop down to 5psi again....then back up to 14 or so.....and then back down again. (It almost appeared as though there was a short or something like that occurring) I called him back up, very annoyed that he didn't solve the problem, and then returned the truck to him.

He now thinks that maybe the new lift pump was a defective one so he's going to place a new one in the beginning of this coming week. He also mentioned something about a possible "ECM" wiring problem? Got me on that one.

I'm really fed up with this truck. I bought it brand new in Dec. 2002 and spent about $40,000 on it. I had it pretty much trouble free for the first 65,000 miles and then all hell broke loose. Between the front end swaying all over the place and going thru an injector pump, 3 lift pumps, a canister in the fuel tank, as well as the tank being dropped previously to have a filter replaced, and being tied up in the shop for at least 10 weeks in total, I feel I got a real lemon. I went back to the place where I purchased it, trying to get a feel for having them swap me a new truck for it, but that didn't go over too well. (never hurts to try!)

I only have 3500 miles left on my warranty. I am about ready to unload this dog, and I'm wondering if I should even consider another deisel. I really like the benefits of owning one, however sometimes the disadvantages outweigh the advantages.

Is there any other make deisel that is more reliable? I know ya'all are Dodge fans, so maybe this isn't a good question to ask you. I'm just fed up and am looking for some advice.

Thanks guys....Myles
Country Piano
www.countrypiano.com
Old 09-18-2004, 08:49 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
are you going to a dealer for these repairs or an independent shop?
Old 09-18-2004, 11:14 AM

nitrousn....The local Chrysler dealer does NOT have a qualified mechanic to do deisel repairs. So they sent me to this fellow 10 miles up the road from them that handles all their deisel work. The other option is to have the truck brought to another dealership 75 miles northeast of me.
Old 09-19-2004, 08:44 AM

It sound like you fuel problem might be air in the lines... Check for air leaks...

Is the tank full when this happens? (Cracked fuel line, hole in pickup tube)

Has the filter been changed lately? (Plugged filter)

Hard to start?

Someone chime in... There was a few articles about testing for air in the fuel, testing flow / pressure, etc...
Old 09-19-2004, 11:45 AM

Have him check all wire connections and the wire itself.
Maybe he has.
Are you sure the gauge is correct?
Old 09-19-2004, 02:35 PM

Thanks for the replies. To answer your questions:

1) The fluctuation in the fuel pressure happens regardless where the fuel level in the tank is. I was going down the road today and it was running a steady 14 psi. Then all of a sudden, it dropped to 6psi and I NEVER changed the throttle pressure on the pedal! 5 minutes later is jumped up to 15 again.

2) The truck starts right up every time.

3) It's a new gauge, about a month old.

4) Wiring problems? Could this have anything to do with the ECM connection?

5) I'll have him check for air leaks.

Thanks again guys. Any more help is welcome.

Myles
Country Piano
www.countrypiano.com
Old 09-24-2004, 09:58 PM

myles i would try to hook a mechanical gauge to the port on the inj pump and see if it stays steady.
Old 09-25-2004, 04:57 AM

Thanks to everyone for their help. According to the mechanic, the problem has been narrowed down to the lift pump again. He installed two new ones from Cummins only to find that both of them were defective as well. So he's getting another brand, neither Chrysler nor Cummins, and giving it a try.

I'll let you guys know the end of the story as soon as I hear it myself! Thanks again.....Myles
Old 09-28-2004, 04:05 AM

Yup, that was the problem. The mechanic gave up after installing 2 new Cummins pumps, and installed another brand....can't remember what it was. But it solved the pressure problem. It now idles at 15....runs at 11-12....and wot at 8. No more fluctuation like it did before. At least that problem is solved...until something else rears it's ugly head!
Old 09-28-2004, 04:19 AM
Administrator

Received 40 Likes on 34 Posts
That other brand might be a Carter, they make the pumps.
Old 09-28-2004, 05:59 AM

Ever hear of a "Delphi" lift pump? That is what he installed. He got fed up with the Chrysler/Cummins ones and is now trying to get the Chrysler dealer to pick up the tab using this manufacturers brand! This should be interesting.
Old 10-02-2004, 07:55 PM

Well, I'm back on the road again...finally! The new Delphi lift pump is doing it's job. The specs are 15 at idle.....11-12 at running speed.....8-9 at WOT....acceptible in my book I guess.

The mechanic swears by the Standyne perfomance additive for the fuel. Can anyone shed any light on this product? He says it makes the fuel more slippery and therefore lubricates the pumps...making them last much longer! Any remarks???? Thanks
Old 10-02-2004, 09:18 PM

i suppose anything can help. i thought we were running in oil as it is.
myles i hate to say this. i dont think your independent shop knows beans about your truck. to many quick not finished right come backs to me.
what did this guy fix that finally repaired you problem?
the tank repair makes me go HMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM.
how many miles on your truck?
Old 10-03-2004, 08:21 PM

i have used stanadyne for alot of miles and my first factory lift pump lasted about 85k. the manufacture of bosch fuel system will only recommend stanadyne for an additive. john deere has the same stuff with their name on it and its a few bucks cheaper. wiid cat diesel says the reason the lift pumps fail is back pressure in the small line after the pump and filter.