HELP! If you have an EMERGENCY situation with your truck, or you need IMMEDIATE technical help, use this board.

2001 turbo acting up & noise

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2004, 09:33 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post 2001 turbo acting up & noise

I have a 2001 24V 2500 Dodge ram auto w/ 90,000 Miles Completly Stock I was driving home today and noticed my turbo was spooling up sooner usually i can really hear it at 1900 - 2100 RPM which is normal now im hearing it @ 1400 - 1600 RPM and it just gets louder and louder up till about 2600 i was thinking a boost leak now here is the confusing part my truck could barely break the tires loose in 1st gear off the line on a straight away now it lays you back in the seat like im driving my trans am and when it grabs 2nd it breaks the wheels loose rember this truck is completly stock. then at times while im driving itll be completly normal like it was before doesnt matter if i shut truck off or anythign just sometimes it does it sometimes it doesnt. ive worked on alot of diesels mostly the mechanicals and im very confussed someone please help I dont mind the extra power but i know it shouldnt be there LOL and of course non of the dodge dealerships have any idea i still have 10k left on my warranty and id like to get whatever issue resolved before warranty up
Old 04-02-2004, 10:41 PM

Received 142 Likes on 108 Posts
Without gauges its hard to get a feel for whats happening but it almost sounds as if you truck is lagging "all the time" and for whatever reason its running correctly when you feel the extra power, since I have never heard of extra power coming from nowhere. Its usually the other way around. And as for the turbo spooling faster, it gives the impression that you have a fuel issue or a strange electrical one. Just guessing here. Maybe you should have someone check it out.
Old 04-03-2004, 01:40 AM

Maybe a boost leak. Check all your intercooler boots.
Good luck
Scott
Old 04-04-2004, 08:50 AM

have someone check your computer for codes. Autozone dose it for free here. Have them reset them and see if they comeback. If you got more traction problems with it broke then I want to break mine there too!!!
Old 04-05-2004, 12:01 AM

well no codes or anything took to a dealer they said they dont know what it is and not to worry about it took a 400 mile trip this weekend acted up 2 times for about 20 min with the extra power and my fuel mileage round trip is usually 19 MPG i got 22 MPG which is really strange take the same trip every other week the noise is still there from the turbo when its what id consider normal i can still walk walk just about any stock diesel rams included the trucks always had a lil extra power from the day i bought it but this is crazy MAYBE a computer problem or something ?????? check all the booties all i know is i have a **** load more power for no reason at times. almost like putting a banks git kit on it and then going back to normal its very noticable TRUCK IS COMPLETLY STOCK
Old 04-05-2004, 01:39 AM

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
Let me get this straight...

You have a problem in that your truck makes too much power, and to make matters worse, it gets better milage?

I forgot to look, was this posted April 1st?

If not, rather than try to fix it, perhaps you should find the "problem" so you could patent it?

I suppose you could experiment and find out how much parking brake you have to leave on until power and milage are back down to normal?

Seriously, for a second, I also suspect there is something strange going on with the turbo. Could you beg, borrow or steal a boost gauge, even temporarily, and see how it acts?
Old 04-05-2004, 08:21 AM

JM_1
Is your air filter setup stock also? When you are "hearing" you turbo spool up quicker, could it be you are getting more input air? Have you checked your air filter and input tubing for any holes?