HELP! If you have an EMERGENCY situation with your truck, or you need IMMEDIATE technical help, use this board.

1st Gen. overfueling

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2003, 09:03 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
1st Gen. overfueling

I have a buddy that has a 90 non-intercooled truck, I am totaly in the woods on these inj. pumps other than the few mods for more fuel. The problem he's having is the other night while plowing snow he noticed everytime he went to pull out, or put a load on the drivetrain (pushing snow into a pile), the truck would create a large plume of black smoke, his truck has never done this before, and no mods. have been done to this pump. Is there a spring that could have broke? Maybe a seal that finally wootsed? Any, and all help would be greatly appreciated to help resolve this problem. This truck kinda reminds you of a old R-model Mack dump truck when he goes to pull out, unfortunately this guy doesn't have guages so I can't tell how high his egt's are either. Diesels and no guages, maybe I'll finally be able to talk him into a set. Thanx in advance for all help.<br>Rick
Old 02-22-2003, 10:00 AM
Administrator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Re:1st Gen. overfueling

Has he checked the intercooler boots for tightness? New fuel filter installed? Sounds more like an injector sticking open than a pump failure. I could be wrong though.
Old 02-22-2003, 03:10 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This truck does not have an intercooler, but yes I did go over the clamps from the turbo over to the intake. If it is an injector sticking open how can I check. Thanx<br>Rich
Old 02-22-2003, 03:47 PM
Administrator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

About the only way to test it would be to use a infared thermometer on each cylinder and see what different temps you see. Or, take them out and have them tested at a pump shop. I would pour some fuel additive into the truck and see if that helps first. Like I said, this may not be your problem, but it very well could be.