HELP! If you have an EMERGENCY situation with your truck, or you need IMMEDIATE technical help, use this board.

1999 International 4700

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2008, 05:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1999 International 4700

I am new to the world of diesel trucks, so please forgive my ignorance.

I purchased a international 4700 from a well known company last year. The truck has a DT 466E engine with 180,000 miles on it. When I first received it during the winter, I noticed a little smoke coming from it on start up. I was told that there was nothing to worry about and that white smoke at start-up is common in the cold months and to simply keep it plugged in during the cold days and nights when it was not being used. So I did. Shortly after that, I began to notice that the acceleration of the truck, in particular, when going up hills was practically non-existant. The most I could get on an incline was 30 to 35 miles per hour and the truck was not close to full...I also began to notice heavy white smoke coming out of the exhaust. I was told by the seller to get all of the fluids and filters changed then everything should be fine. So I did.

Well, a short while later, I lost a fuel injector, it blew up! The heaviest black smoke I had seen since the wicked witch of the west told dorothy to surrender in Oz.
I had the injector replaced. The mechanic told me that the engine would smoke for a while but eventually would be okay. That lasted for about 150 miles until the white smoke started getting heavy again. I was told that the rest of the injectors may be bad and I should have them looked at. I did and it was determined that the injectors were okay and the smoke would go away as long as I kept the engine warm all of the time...even in the summer. So I did. But once again, I also noticed that I was losing acceleration while going up hills. 100 miles later, the engine began to over-heat and white smoke was pouring from it heavily. The engine began to spit and sputter, the anti-freeze was bubbling over, it was a mess. I was able to get it to a secure location before it shut off. I then had it towed back to my business.

I am begging for help on this. I literally have a truck sitting that I cannot use. Everytime I say I am going to sell it, people tell me that I am nuts to do so, that it is a great truck and the DT466E is a great engine...one of the best diesels ever made! I have read up on diesels engines and understand how the work, but I have no idea what is going on with this one. I have already put a couple of thousand dollars into it, but I don't want to keep dumping more money into it if the engine is a peice of crap.
Any advise on what the problem or problems could be would be greatly appreciated...I am completely frustrated.

Gripmeister2001
Old 10-14-2008, 08:48 PM

The dt466e is great engine and the dt444e is basically the 7.3 ford powerstroke, log onto www.powerstroke.org these guys can help you. Sounds like a head gasket or cracked head,any water in your oil? Good luck
Old 10-14-2008, 10:48 PM

Probably Headgasket, we had one go in the same truck this year.
There are tons of those motors out there.
Old 11-09-2008, 02:40 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You might also check your turbo, but I'll be the last one to give advice on a Navistar; I could write volumes about what I don't know about International diesels. I have owned 3 International class 8 truck tractors, but all had Cummins engines. Good Luck
Old 11-11-2008, 10:22 AM

I might also try thedieselstop.com. Unfortunately most of the things I think of are fairly bad, but someone may have experienced this and it could be an easy fix. Guys can plug in an autoenguinuty and take a look at many parameters with you truck. May help to point you in the right direction.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

From Diesel Mans Page....
Smoke analysis

White smoke:
Caused by unburned fuel passing through the engine. Some white smoke is normal on cold start-ups.
Excessive white smoke could be an indication of inoperative glow plugs, loose injectors, low compression from worn rings or bent connecting rods, or coolant leak into the cylinders--head gasket or injector well sleeves.
Black smoke:
Caused by excessive fuel for the amount of air drawn into the cylinders. Some black smoke on hard accel or at higher altitudes is normal.
Excessive black smoke could result from restricted intake or exhaust, inoperative leaking or weak turbo, intake hose(s) leaks, leaking or worn injectors, fuel return or supply restriction, stuck Exhaust backPressure Regulator valve or solenoid. Also PCM inputs such as BARO MAP ICP or EBP sensors.
Blue or blue/white smoke:
Caused by insufficient fuel or oil consumption. Normal when engine is cold or idling for extended periods.
Excessive smoke could be caused by air in the fuel, contaminated fuel, loose or plugged injectors, worn or leaking injector o-rings, thermostat stuck open, oil consumption, or plugged crankcase depression regulator valve. Also PCM inputs such as MAP or ICP sensors.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

And just out of curiosity, did you check the turbo? Maybe the turbo shelled on you, which would give you deceasing power.... Possibly leading you to work the truck pretty hard to keep up without any boost.
Old 11-11-2008, 10:43 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
White smoke is water or antifreeze burning 99% of the time.