HELP! If you have an EMERGENCY situation with your truck, or you need IMMEDIATE technical help, use this board.

12v white smoke and won't restart

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2005, 03:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
12v white smoke and won't restart

I'm new here, but have been reading for a while, now i need help. I was a victum of the KDP, so while the truck was apart i put in the gsk, afc, and advanced the timing. The truck would not start, rechecked the timing, it had slippedback, reset it and it fired right up. Took it out for a test run, put fuel in it and was coming home. I layed into the throttle, i heard what sounded like the wastegate pop, the truck fell on its face and started bellowing white smoke, now it won't restart. It was running real rough at anything more then resting your foot on the pedal. I rechecked the timing, that is fine. i am at a loss now. Everything i have read is pointing to fuel somehow, but that pop is bothering me. any help will be great, thanks
Old 10-29-2005, 04:20 PM
RCW

After you check the items below, reopen your AFC housing, and lift out the fuel cam, and check to be sure the follower did not jamb up under the stop. There used to be an excellent photo of what and how to check and adjust the follower on Pier's website, www.piersdiesel.com

Check the rod on the fuel shutdown solenoid and make sure it is straight, and properly adjusted. Try turning on the key, then reach down and lift the solenoid and see if it stays locked in the up position. I have seen a lot of these problems when the fuel solenoid rod gets bent from swinging the mount off the top of the pump to access the fuel stop cam.

The pop sounds suspiciously like you blew a turbo hose somewhere, but I would expect it to still start but run like crap. So, check your solenoid and then the hoses.
Old 10-29-2005, 09:22 PM

RCW, thanks for the input, i will check it out in the morning, i have been working on this thing for 2 weeks, i needed a night off.
Old 10-30-2005, 09:16 AM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Two things that can go with a pop and cause the same problem.
As mentioned an intake boot popping off or the diaphragm at the rear of the AFC housing failing.
Old 10-30-2005, 11:17 AM

ok, the follower was not out of place, it is still apart, so i will check the diaphragm. the shut down solenoid is ok as well. i didn't look at the boots yet. thanks for the help so far.
Old 10-30-2005, 12:10 PM

do u have a leak anywhere? broken hose? broken fuel line? cracked fuel filter?....if ur system isnt air tight it wont start ....overflow valve still good?

feel for ya buddy
Old 10-30-2005, 12:29 PM

afc diaphragm was ok, no busted turbo boots either. i was checking some of the lines, like the 5/16 one on the return, that was fine, didn't look at the filter yet though. the overflow valve is brand new, as is the fuel filter, but will double check. i am new to digging this far into a diesel, used to BB chevys. thanks guys
Old 10-30-2005, 12:33 PM

I wondering if your timing slipped again.
The shaft and gear hole must be spotless before torquing down or it will slip.
Old 10-30-2005, 01:50 PM

Sounds like the timing slipped to me, also. Wipe eveything down with brake cleaner and do not lubricate the shaft.
george
Old 10-30-2005, 02:40 PM

timing was the first thing i checked, it was right there. i have another ? i was just double checking the fuel filter, as i was pushing the primer, after about 24 pumps i started hearing air from around the injection pump. is this normal, i couldn't find where it was comming from though. i would say there is my air leak, but i can't seem to locate it. any thoughts?
Old 10-30-2005, 06:30 PM

The sound of fuel passing though the overflow valve while pumping sounds a lot like air passing though. If you had a leak that you could hear it would likely gush fuel also.
Old 10-30-2005, 07:27 PM

thats what i thought, but i wasn't sure, cause it sounds like its comming from the back of the pump. i am out of things to try here. i rechecked the timing again, did it 3 times, it did not move. i pulled the valve covers, rechecked the lash and to make sure nothing broken under there, everything fine. the only thing i have now is the #1 line doesn't seem to bleed like the rest. the rest kinda squirt, #1 just kinda flows out. the delivery valve is wet also, so i will go to cummins tommorow and pick up a new o ring. other then that, i am at a loss.
Old 10-31-2005, 12:02 AM

don't worry good things have to happen...don't despair....check for any fuel leaks anywhere....when u say it won't start is it cranking over and wont catch? or is it clicking?....does it feel like its about to catch but doesnt?
Old 10-31-2005, 09:55 AM

Probably obvious but make sure you keep your batteries charged up with all that cranking.
The engine may turn over but unless it does so fast enough it won't start.
Old 10-31-2005, 02:16 PM

its spinning over, just won't go, doesn't even sound like it wants to go. my batteries are on their way out, but it is spinning good enough. i keep the charger on it as well. i am not putting new ones on it till its running. I'm sure the problem is right in front of me, just can't see it. I am a patient man, but this is getting old. thank you for all of your help again.

Quick Reply: 12v white smoke and won't restart