HELP! If you have an EMERGENCY situation with your truck, or you need IMMEDIATE technical help, use this board.

07 Dodge Cummins w/melted piston

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2007, 03:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
07 Dodge Cummins w/melted piston

Hi Everyone, I'm new to this forum. I love Dodge Cummins especially with all the stuff available for the 98.5 - 2002. But that's not why I'm here. I know a guy that has a new 07 Dodge Cummins. He bought all kinds of things for it including a TS MP8 and a PPE Xel. Hot+2 ET Eliminator for it. Well he was driving to work today and his truck started knocking so he took it to the dealer and found out that the #6 cylinder is melted. Was it the programmers or could there have been other problems. They're talking new motor for this truck which will probably cost him 10,000. Dodge is bad about voiding warrantees for the least little hint of any power adders. The service guy said he'll see what he can do but doesn't think it will be covered. In the meantime, they have had bunches of trucks come in after they've melted pistons. Makes me wonder if it's the newer dodges since the older ones don't seem to have that problem.
Old 07-19-2007, 06:50 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
First time i've heard of it on a new 07.

Smells like a troll to me.
Old 07-19-2007, 06:52 PM
Banned

i think his power adders definately had something to do with it. usually stock cummins dont melt pistons while driving to work. does he have gauges?

brett
Old 07-19-2007, 07:23 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I'm with Brett, does he have gauges?
You can melt anything with enough fuel.

MikeyB
Old 07-19-2007, 08:08 PM

07 Dodge

Yup he's got gauges and his egts stayed within a normal range. That's what he couldn't understand. One of those programmers,(can't remember which) doesn't defuel if there's any tranny slippage.
Old 07-19-2007, 08:21 PM

Lets not jump to the troll crap. Give him a chance, The ford and chevy forums go troll crazy on someone with a major problem on there first post. Lets be The friendly forum.

I dont have any experience with those to products, but i know once you stack things gotta be just right, timing and pressure. It could be a failed injector but most cases on the #6 piston its usually caused from aftermarket. To much timing is usually the cause when egts are in check. Mabey he had a bad pyro probe, is the probe pre turbo or post, that makes a big difference to.
Old 07-19-2007, 08:59 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
I'm betting a bad injector. My friend had this happen to his 2004. He didn't heed the little knock. The piston melted and when a chunk of it went out the exhaust it jammed the exhaust valve, broke the valve seat, then the piston hit the valve, ripped it off the stem, and it ended up jammed in the top of the piston, sideways. When we pulled the injector the end of it was melted.
I have pictures.
Tell him to check into getting the engine repaired. The dealer is probably not qualified to do this, probably won't do this. He'll want a diesel mechanic to assess it, and if the cylinder is OK, replace the piston, repair the head as necessary, and put ti back together.
My friend, who is hooked up with a Cummins mechanic, is getting the cylinder bored (the valve grooved the cylinder), replacing that one piston, repairing the head, and putting it back together.

Chris

Trending Topics

Old 07-19-2007, 09:21 PM
Registered

I thought i read on here that the guys with 07's are calling TST and saying they are 06's to get the tst box. because evidently the tst's arnt working properly on the 07's and TST products wont sell them the box???

of course, this is all 2nd (or 3rd) hand and coming from a 2nd gen 24 valver. Take it for what its worth
Old 07-19-2007, 09:24 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by blackdiesel
I thought i read on here that the guys with 07's are calling TST and saying they are 06's to get the tst box. because evidently the tst's arnt working properly on the 07's and TST products wont sell them the box???

of course, this is all 2nd (or 3rd) hand and coming from a 2nd gen 24 valver. Take it for what its worth
thats what tritont was saying. but i think it was a mp-8 and a ppe, not the tst...im kinda curious whats going to happen with this...keep up informed turbolady

brett
Old 07-19-2007, 09:53 PM

Might also check for a plugged piston cooling nozzle.
Old 07-20-2007, 07:39 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
The MP8 could be the cause. If he ran it at the higher levels all the time that could have damage or cracked the #6 injector and dumped fuel into the combustion chamber.

MikeyB
Old 07-20-2007, 08:29 AM

Correct me if I am wrong but, were did he have his pyro placed??? Did he have it near the top on the exhaust manifold by #3 cylinder?? If he did he would never see #6 getting hot. Many many people say to run the pyron for #5 and #6 cylinders because they run hot. Just a thought and I may be wrong.
Old 07-20-2007, 08:51 AM

Its almost certain that the power adders contributed to the melting - its unfair to blame Dodge for the melting or to expect them to pick up the tab for damages they had no hand in.

As far as having guages and melting one piston, the guage reads the average temp of all exhaust gasses flowing by it. The spike temps in #6 may never be noticed if #1-5 cylinders are ok. This issue of melting only one piston and not noticing "high" EGT's is not that uncommon around here.

Before I dumped $10g's at the dealer for a new engine, I'd investigate other options of engine repair/replacement.
Old 07-20-2007, 10:46 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
We had an 06 melt #6 piston about a month ago. It's been about four years since we replaced an engine. Customer drove it in and from the data on the scanner pulled out his program on the drive. He was using a Superchips downloader, no gauges, towing heavy when the "knock" occured. This makes the score at the place I've been for 10 years:

Stock: 1
Modded: 8

Interesting ratio don't you think?
Old 07-20-2007, 10:53 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Well I guess you eventually get what you know is coming. I won't stack until I have more mods that can handle it.

Quick Reply: 07 Dodge Cummins w/melted piston