HELP! If you have an EMERGENCY situation with your truck, or you need IMMEDIATE technical help, use this board.

02 Transmission wont shift...

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2005, 04:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation 02 Transmission wont shift...

My 2002 2500 A/T 4x4 (32k miles) was running just fine until we stopped to watch some hot air balloons this afternonn.. After pulling back onto the highway the engine rev'd up higher than normal before it started shifting.. At the next stop light it did the same thing, but when the engine got to 2,000 rpm and about 20 mph was all i would push it to do. I didnt push it any harder since i knew something was not right.

A couple times it finally shifted into 3rd gear, but at the next stop light it would not go past 2nd it seemed.. So for the most of the way home it was about 2,000 rpm and 20 to 25 mph...

I did a quick search but didn't see a similar problem posted..

any suggestions.. Ideas? I am assuming the 7 yr/100k miles warranty will take care of any problems - but is there anything I should be aware of with them trying to deny it?

thanks

Brian
Old 10-30-2005, 04:42 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
One suspect is the gov. pressure sensor. It is on the tail/OD section. You can put a pressure guage on it, ( remove the sensor) and check for 1 lb for each mph.
If the pressure is correct the sensor may be at fault.
Old 10-30-2005, 04:59 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Lets start with simple things first. Have you check the AT fuild level? Were you parked on a slope when you stopped for the hot air balloons?
Old 10-30-2005, 06:03 PM

Ok should have posted this the first time, the transmission fluid level is good..

After sitting for about an hour I took it back out - At first it would not shift correctly, then it shifted OK, then didnt shift, then shifted OK all the way back home (thru about 3 or 4 starts from a stop).... This was about a 5 mile trip.

Any more thoughts..

Brian
Old 10-30-2005, 08:10 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Get the codes?? keyon/off/on/off/on...readout in the odometer.. Not shifting, starting out in second...most likely gov psi transducer/solenoid, but they are located on the valvebody, not the extension housing.
Old 10-31-2005, 07:07 AM

Called the dealership.. Service Manager thought it was the speed sensor. Did a quick search on here for 'speed sensor' and found a few hits with ppl having the same/similar problem..

Did the ignition switch thing - got a code of 'P PCU"

Any ideas on what this code is?

Where do you buy this sensor?

Where can I find instructions for replacing it?

thanks

Brian
Old 10-31-2005, 08:41 AM

Ok... im stupid... I didnt wait for the error code to come up.. but i went back to and got a Code 1762

I found that this code means:

1762 The Governor Pressure Sensor input was too high or too low for 3 consecutive park/neutral calibrations.

But I dont know what this means?

Any suggestions? Thoughts? ideas?

thanks

Brian
Old 10-31-2005, 09:21 AM
Banned

tramsmission

Originally Posted by thatguy
Ok should have posted this the first time, the transmission fluid level is good..

After sitting for about an hour I took it back out - At first it would not shift correctly, then it shifted OK, then didnt shift, then shifted OK all the way back home (thru about 3 or 4 starts from a stop).... This was about a 5 mile trip.

Any more thoughts..

Brian
My friend had a problem with his transmission an I had him call Dave Georend, Dave called him on HIS time and helped Harvey trouble shoot his transmission, gave him the part numbers, ect. Harvey offered to pay for the help but Dave refused. Harvey transmission works good now. By the way the local shop wonted to completly overhaul it. Harvey spent less that $100 in parts. I would call Dave Goerend. good luck JimK