HELP! If you have an EMERGENCY situation with your truck, or you need IMMEDIATE technical help, use this board.

'02 HO, missed bad at start, then ran fine...P0216 code

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2004, 07:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'02 HO, missed bad at start, then ran fine...P0216 code

2002 HO 4x4, 69K miles. The truck started just fine, but when I pulled away it started missing bad...did it for ~3 miles, then ran fine for 60 miles home. I stopped at Autozone and had them hook up the scanner, which read P0216. Where do I get a fuel pressure tester for a diesel? I've got one for regular fuel injection car, but I don't think the fitting is the same. Do I check it at the fitting located between the filter and where it connects to the pump? What's the spec?

Man, I'm worried, I drive a 100 mile round trip commute, and absolutely can't miss work until Thurs. I bought this truck used this year and purchased the Chrysler warranty, so it's covered, but since it's running perfect, I wonder if they will charge me to check it over, and tell me to wait until it dies beside the road. Anybody been through this?

Steve
Old 12-14-2004, 06:06 PM
Tom

Steve10,

I have an 02, and the lift pump has been replaced. I did not throw any codes but the fuel pressure gauge said it idled at 5 psi and a with little pressure on the accelerator the psi would fall to zero. At other times the pump would put out 15 psi and then fall to 5 psi and below, after a little driving. It also run perfect even with 0 psi. Not good for the injection pump!!!

When they tested the lift pump at the dealership, it flowed the correct amount, but they replaced it under warranty. The technician said it had an intermittent short.

Looking at your commute, I wouldn't want to gamble on it failing on me. However, your standard warranty should cover it, I believe, if it fails.

Peace of mind means everything to me. Feel them out at the dealership and see what they say. Maybe it will throw a code for them.

Tom
Old 12-14-2004, 08:09 PM
Banned

The P0216 is the kiss of death code for the vp44. You need a new one.
Old 12-15-2004, 08:00 AM

It's hard for me to understand the fuel system on these trucks...lift pump not putting out much pressure to VP...VP has the kiss of death code, yet truck runs perfect. I was thinking it should be running different, but I've been 300 miles since the problem. To a person that doesn't look at this forum or has know knowledge of the history of failures, they wouldn't even worry until it failed.

Still haven't found where to buy a pressure tester here in Austin, so I can actually see what the lift pump is doing.
Old 12-15-2004, 08:48 AM
Banned

O'reillys has a fuel pressure gauge. It's 0-100 and it's made for fuel injection but it'll work the same. Only problem is it's $50. Do a search on here for the Briar (or Brian) Hopper Fuel Pressure Gauge.
Old 12-15-2004, 03:21 PM
Tom

Steve10,

On these trucks, the VP is dependent on the lift pump for the lubricating properties that the fuel has in it. The lift pump may provide sufficient fuel to run but as it deminishes in efficiency it does not carry enough fuel to appropriately lubricate the VP. The VP then fails from lack of lubrication.

Like I mentioned, my truck ran fine, but eventually if would have been toast. Do what BigBlue
suggested and get you the Briar Hopper gauge. You can get one pretty quick from .....

http://www.smokindiesel.com/Dodge/BriarHopper.htm

Hope this helps.

Tom
Old 12-16-2004, 10:14 AM

I just went through the VP trip,just like yours mine ran fine,but there was a difference,I would get a dead pedal then she would kick in,she would do it more when I was in a warm climate,I live north of Detroit but deliver campers,mostly to the south.My code was 0216,checked fuel pressure,replaced the lift pump,but it was to late,and I cant tell you how long the lift pump was bad,but I can now,a gage or idiot light which I have now.I replaced the VP44 and we are good to go now,just about 300k and looking forward to another 300k.Suburban Turbo and Injection in Detroit,Bill is the man I dealt with,I cant say enough about this guy,just great to deal with.He supplied me with the idiot light kit for no charge and warrantied my VP44,and a great set of instructions from a member on this forum on how to replace the VP44.It seems these Vp44 have a few different actions before they quit,my first one died with no indication at all,parked the truck,came out and no start.The first one lasted 180k,first replacement one lasted 90k but I truely believe my lift pump was bad for awile.When you change your fuel filter and drain the cannister,that lift pump should fill that cannister in just 2-3 bumps of the starter,if it dont,I think you had better get a pressure gage on it.I am now with most of the folks on here a fuel pressure gage or a idiot light inside these trucks is a MUST.
Old 12-16-2004, 12:33 PM

Another thought...if the lift pump is going bad, but I've still been driving it...then I've probably damaged the VP. Say I take it in to the dealer, the lift pump tests low, he replaces it, then my damaged VP lasts another 30K miles before it fails...just out of warranty. I wish they were obligated to replace the VP since it set the code, but I'm concerned that they won't. If I drive it until they have to pick it up on the side of the road, they probably will.
Old 12-16-2004, 01:40 PM
Banned

If they don't replace the injection pump even with that code and low fuel pressure, demand and get it in writing that they will warranty the VP when it fails. No matter when that is.
Old 12-16-2004, 10:09 PM

Hey Big Blue...what dealer do you use? Looks like you've had a few lift pumps replaced. What dealer did the work? Were you satisfied? I'm less than an hour from College Station.
Old 12-18-2004, 06:25 AM

I had a fuel pressure gauge on my 02 and never saw less than 8psi with the comp at 5x5, and the pump never had less than 10psi stock or at lower settings on the comp. Even with a healthy lift pump, my truck started having the dead pedal syndrome and the P0216. The truck was getting worse the longer I drove it. I only say this because I put the gauge on to ensure the health of the VP-44. I didn't want to drive the truck with a weak lift pump and kill the injection pump. In the end, it didn't matter even with a healthy lift pump the VP-44 was on its way out. The stock lift pump was going strong at 75,000 miles.
Old 12-19-2004, 09:21 AM

BPD239, did the dealer replace the VP because of the P0216, even though the lift pump was good?
Old 12-19-2004, 10:27 AM

Good question? I don't know, I decided to trade the truck before I had to make the decision to take it in or not for the pump. I had modified the truck so had I needed to replace the pump, I had made up my mind to replace the VP-44 myself. Unfortunately...or fortunately, I had a minor "incident" with a utility pole. I was looking at fixing the body damage on the truck, replacing the VP-44, then I knew with a healthy pump I would need a clutch. I figured I was looking at about $4000 in repairs, so I made a trip to the dealer and they made me a great deal on a trade for the truck.

Hind site being 20/20, now I would have repaired the truck!!