HELP! If you have an EMERGENCY situation with your truck, or you need IMMEDIATE technical help, use this board.

02 Dually New Apps' New Vp44 Still Dead Pedal Help!!! Asap!! Thanks

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2009, 08:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hey Dave you should probably change your sig, you have twice replaced that truck.
Old 01-11-2009, 10:44 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
you could try and swap ECMs from the other truck you swapped apps with?
Old 01-12-2009, 08:19 AM

other truck is an SO auto. mines an HO 6spd

Thanks though!!

is there a way to just get the new pump tested with out them having the truck?? i have no way to get the truck to the dealer where I bought the pump as its over 100km's away.

also can the ECM be checked out of the truck??? cummins service??

thanks
Old 01-12-2009, 06:47 PM

Reading codes can only accurately diagnose SOME of the problems with the VP44 fuel system. The easy way to read DTC codes, that works on most trucks, is to turn on the ignition switch three times and leave it in the ”on” position and read the codes in the odometer. Of course a scan tool can do this AND clear codes. There are only three DTC codes that absolutely positively condemn the VP44. The 216 code tells you the pump is worn out mechanically, and can’t attain full timing advance, but this failure won’t cause any drivability issues and doesn’t demand immediate VP44 replacement. Read about Lift Pumps elsewhere in this site for why the 216 code occurs. If the truck won’t start, and you haven’t opened any fuel lines, and you have either or both a 1688 and or a 1689 DTC code, the truck will never start until you replace the injection pump. This is MOST LIKELY because the computer on the top of the injection pump is not turning on the fueling in the VP44. Other causes are explained below. Other codes are explained in detail below, that accurately diagnose other parts of the fuel system. Other circumstances like stray RF (radio interference) can cause false codes and therefore confuse or misdirect an accurate diagnosis. To prove the codes are relevant and or current codes, clear them with a scanner and see if they are reset when you try to start or drive the truck next. Disconnecting the batteries will NOT clear the 216 code and worse than that, some generic scanners won’t either. To be sure the codes are cleared, READ them again after clearing them, BEFORE you attempt to start the truck, and if they are gone, then you really did clear them. If they are still there BEFORE trying to start the truck, you didn’t clear them! If they come back when you try to start the truck, or drive the truck next, you can be sure they are relevant. Code 1693 only means there is at least one code in the other computer, the PCM, which has/have NOTHING to do with the fuel system. Codes in the ECM should be duly noted and COMBINED with the drivability SYMPTOMS and PROCEDURES described below, you CAN accurately diagnose what you have to do to fix your problem. Sometimes automatic transmission issues create drivability issues that appear to be a fuel issue. Call me for help here too.

This is on Blue Injections Site check out 1689 this is what I had two months ago 1689 code but my truck would not run at all. Cleared the codes crank the truck and it was back 1689. Replaced vp44 pump fixed. The only true test is to get the cummins to connect to vp44 and test the pump. Its hard to narrow it down. Let us know what you find out. If you go to there site there is a ton of check out stuff on vp44 and grounds wiring etc.
Old 01-12-2009, 09:36 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I have 2 01s 1 SO 1 HO and have swapped the ecms before to test out problems and they seem to work fine
Old 01-13-2009, 12:14 PM
Registered

my truck has went into limp mode twice. Once after using my exhaust brake to slow down coming off of a interstate with a cattle trailer, and once after using my exhaust brake to slow me down coming off a BIG hill with 6000lbs in the back of the truck. check engine light came on both times, and i got 4 codes. 0500 (common with a smarty) 1693 (companion code) 0121 and XXXX

i forgot the last code number, but they turned out to be a TPS intermintent voltage too high and a vehicle speed sensor.

both times the truck wouldnt rev up. it would just set and idle. i cleared the codes with the smarty and havent had any more problems.... yet
Old 01-13-2009, 10:07 PM

ck the wiring harness at left frt of engine where it rubs on frt cover, right before it fastens to oil pan. there is a sharp edge there. look for the white & black wires twisted together. p1693 isn't a cummins code
Old 01-16-2009, 04:34 PM

Did you find the problem just wondering there is nothing worse with having the Diesel down.