HELP! If you have an EMERGENCY situation with your truck, or you need IMMEDIATE technical help, use this board.

02 Dually New Apps' New Vp44 Still Dead Pedal Help!!! Asap!! Thanks

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2009, 01:36 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
02 Dually New Apps' New Vp44 Still Dead Pedal Help!!! Asap!! Thanks

Hello this board has been great, full of very helpful people wanting to help thanks every one!!!!

THIS IS DRIVING ME NUTS!

my problem

2002 3500 6spd 4x4 edge w/att and 4' exh.

driving home truck started to buck and miss for a few mile's fuel pressure good at 13 cruise.filter is 1500km's old

after about 10 min of driving check engine came on and I could not keep the revs up. again pressure was good. had to drive at idle last few miles home.

now the truck starts fine but the pedal does not do anything. after holding it to the floor for 45+ seconds it will creep up or instatly rev like mad.

only trouble code is a 1693. no death code. disconected the edge and nothing either

started reading some posts and figured since there is no death code and the truck starts up fine it must be the APPS.

installed a new Apps and nothing. Did the Apps reset a million times. talked to a bunch of people and read 100's of posts with my problem so bit the bullet and bought a new VP.

installed the new Vp and nothing. same problem. but will rev after about 15 seconds then cut right out again.

Heres what is strange. I Put my EDGE on to read throttle % display.
Now, it registers fine 100% down to 0% with the key on and the engine not running. BUT when the truck is idling and you can get it to rev, it will stay at zero.

it will only give a reading when its off with the key on. or the first few seconds after start up with your foot on the pedal the goes back to zero.

I have new batterys and cleaned all my grounds

ECU??
Map sensor??
Any Ideas would be great.

ignore my sig its my old truck

THANKS!!!!!

Dave
Old 01-10-2009, 01:58 AM

I would remove and clean the MAP, or replace it. When the truck is running, perhaps the ECM isn't seeing the proper / no pressure at all in the manifold. So it thinks it doesn't need to fuel = no throttle %.

Maybe try cleaning it/testing it and seeing if that helps.
Old 01-10-2009, 06:04 AM

you should hook it up to a code reader first to see what is the code stored in the computer. P1693 Dodge A companion DTC was set in both the ECM and PCM
Old 01-10-2009, 11:00 PM

cleaned the MAP and all the ground I could find. plus check main conections and put die electric grease in.

used 2 differnt code reader's. only codes were for the grid heater relay's

thanks!

Dave
Old 01-11-2009, 06:27 AM

I'm not sure adout the 02, but a mechanic I know for cummins explained to me that there is another computer onboard that is cummins and not Dodge. You need a different reader to look at that one. Like I said, I could be mistaken. I know their tools connect under the hood.
Old 01-11-2009, 07:10 AM

Does you tach read fine for the rpm at start up. Might be your position sensor below the vp44. Should be changed when vp44 is done. I did mine just easy to do at the time. I belive the 02 still has it 4921597 cummins. You might want to take it to cummins so the can plug direct to the Vp44 and see if it the problem. The truck will run as long as the plug at the vp44 has 12 volts.
Old 01-11-2009, 11:23 AM

the tach works fine, no problems there.
so the sensor has to be good.

and since its registering throttle % on my edge, im sure the ecm has to be good or there would be no signal?????

thanks!
Old 01-11-2009, 11:40 AM

I have same code on the 02 (CTD 3500 4x4 auto) at work. It runs ok, but still seems weak. When you mash on it, it takes off really slow. New VP, LP, Turbo, etc.

I agree with HD Guage, the 1693 code is a cummins code that only the cummins techs can read with their "special" computer.

Let me know what you find,
Old 01-11-2009, 01:14 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I had this happen to my 01 I would be towing heavy then WHAM! shut down to idle. It turned out to be Dealer said it was IATS or MAPs, dont remember off hand .it would warm up and fool ECM that it was getting over fueled and to hot. sorta like restricting exhaust under full load. truck would go into limp mode. good luck let us know what it turns out to be
Old 01-11-2009, 02:57 PM

I checked the intake temp on my edge and its registering 75f so it must be working....

and also unplugged the map sensor and the truck runs exactly the same.

Thanks though any help is great!!!
Old 01-11-2009, 05:55 PM

I let the truck run for a good 1/2 hour today and now have some new codes.

1689 -communication to ecm!! hope this is it
0236 -MAP too high

also my cousin brought his 01 over and we hooked up my new APPS to his truck and it worked 100% back on mine still major delay's and will go from nothing to full out. not driveable

now my edge is not reading throttle % at ALL running or not

Thanks!!!
Old 01-11-2009, 06:20 PM
RCW

The 1693, in conjunction with the 1689 would lead me to verify the wiring harness between the ECM and the injection module.

1693 indicates a DTC has been set in the JTEC module, the JTEC is the ECM or engine controller. The 1689 is telling you that there is no communication between the ECM and the injection controller (the computer built into the injection pump).

Check your pins and connectors, if it is not obvious then I would suspect either the ECM is bad, or the controller on the injection pump has failed (pump has to be replaced with the latter). I see you said that you replaced the VP44, did you do so with one that had a new controller? If not, you may be in the bucket for another rebuilt VP44.

This happens all the time with rebuilt VP's that do not have the controller replaced during the rebuild process.
Old 01-11-2009, 06:26 PM

I bought the vp44 pump right from chrysler. so it should be 100%

I took the plug off the ECM and it looked like new, zero corrosion. and the wiring looks good.

Is there a way to test the ECM or is it a gamble?? see lots of post's with money wasted and dont want to be a guesstamate

Thanks's
Old 01-11-2009, 06:36 PM

Originally Posted by 440FURY
I bought the vp44 pump right from chrysler. so it should be 100%

I took the plug off the ECM and it looked like new, zero corrosion. and the wiring looks good.

Is there a way to test the ECM or is it a gamble?? see lots of post's with money wasted and dont want to be a guesstamate

Thanks's
I still think the best person to talk to when it comes to ECM's is Bob Wagner from Wagner & Associates. He's extremely knowledgeable with these things.
mishkaya
Old 01-11-2009, 06:42 PM
RCW

Chrysler is the last place I would purchase a rebuilt VP. All VP's are rebuilds, and Chrysler uses the lowest cost available, about what you would get from a local pump guy for $300, or for $125 if you buy parts off E-bay.

But, once that boat is sunk you cannot reverse it. I would take the truck in and have Chrysler shoot the circuit from the VP - bet it is dead. Then they can replace the defective pump!

Quick Reply: 02 Dually New Apps' New Vp44 Still Dead Pedal Help!!! Asap!! Thanks