HELP! If you have an EMERGENCY situation with your truck, or you need IMMEDIATE technical help, use this board.

02' dreaded dead peddle

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2007, 04:16 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by brandikestong
. Hey u be quiet about that wire DC doesnt have to know about that, nor does anybody else. ha ha. u and i both know that is not the cause of this prob or Edge would be in big trouble. if im full of then why did DC authorize in tank lift pumps (like in 03 and newer) as warranty on late model CTDs (fact) they know and they dont want to hear it from guys like me. why no recall if they know? money thats why!
I'm just saying that IF they choose to cover the pump don't be "surprised" if you get a phone call saying that you will be flipping the bill. DC sent out a bullitin years ago stating that IF you returned a VP back with a pierced wire that the warranty claim would be rejected. Right or wrong, it's corporates call and I know that I will not at a dealership level risk sending a tampered pump back in. The last thing I want is to be called into the office and hear about how the dealer had to "eat" the cost of a VP. Personally I could care less if you mod your truck, but if it comes down to the possibility of me paying for your pump....not a chance!! If you find a shop that wants to carry that risk....more power to ya!

.....and you need to do a bit of research on this fuel system. It's been problematic on other makes and lines that utilize the ISB with the Bosch VP44/lift pump design. Motorhomes, busses, delivery trucks, etc..... Dodge bought the system complete from Cummins and covered the warranty. I'm sure DC will be dang glad when the last of the VP's falls off the warranty radar. It's had to been incredibly costly for them.

Last edited by Totallyrad; 02-25-2007 at 07:02 PM. Reason: profanity
Old 02-24-2007, 05:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
my bad, i wasnt aware that DC inspects the IPs that well. and ur tellin me the lift pump isnt a DC design, i was misinformed. thats why i need u guys to set me straight. im sure im not the first person to be p.o.ed about this prob, and im probably blowin smoke(no pun intened)but its worth a try right? Besides DC, Cummins, or Bosch the prob still remains, warranty or not its wrong and we r the little guy takin it in the edited by admin

Last edited by Totallyrad; 02-25-2007 at 08:14 PM. Reason: profanity-symbols for letters
Old 02-24-2007, 07:27 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'm not even sure they do inspect them anymore....but I did attend a training session where the subject came up and there was a tech present that said their store had to eat a claim due to a pierced wire. There is even a TSB warning of this. I'm in no way disagreeing with you. I feel for a part that costs $1k plus (not to mention those that end up paying someone else to install it) should have a much better reliability history. I know I've personally installed over 120 of them since 99, and I'm at a little dot in the middle of nowhere. Warranty bought my first one at 82K. Next one is on me. It sucks, but love is blind and I'm in love with my truck!!!......and $1000 beats the he77 out of trading off for a newer truck. Unfortunately for most of us that is the only way away from the VP. Knock on wood the newer remans are better.
Old 02-25-2007, 05:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ok, ok 99% chance im going to whine and cry and noboby is going to care and ill end up buying my own IP. and yes , i too am deeply in love w my truck (Edit it took me 6 months to locate it "02 CTD 6spd QC 4x4") but if i can get DC to do something about it, I WILL ! it is still better than a new one, i agree and love IS blind. next Q, what do u think about the Hot Rod VP44, better, worse, or the same. im thinkin if im gonna spent the $ a HP increase is justifiable.