HELP! If you have an EMERGENCY situation with your truck, or you need IMMEDIATE technical help, use this board.

02' dreaded dead peddle

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2007, 03:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
02' dreaded dead peddle

my name is Casey Gildersleeve, age 28 from austinburg ohio, i have a 02' dodge cummings expirencing dead peddle 40 days after my warranty. I am unsucessufully trying to fight dodge to cover this problem at no prevail. Informed of timeing problem in VP 44. Any information or help that you can give me would be much appreiciated. Please call me anytime with anything you recommend 440-812-3509.
Old 02-23-2007, 04:02 PM
Chapter President

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Wink

Welcome to the DTR!! Now go look up your local Chapter and join.
Read your warranty very carefully.
there is a loop hole in it that gives you extra 100K Cummins warranty after the 3/36 Dodge warranty expires.
Page 12 par 2.6 in my 99 manual states:
Cummins Diesel engine limited warranty
A. When it begins
If your truck is equipped with a Cummins Diesel Engine the Cummins diesel engine limited warranty begins at the end of the 3/36 Basic warranty period, and covers the cost of repairing those parts of your truck engine listed that are defective in materials, workmanship, or factory preparation.
Part B lists the fuel injection pump & injectors.

It's there read it and then take it to the dealer and show them. How many miles on your truck?
Good luck.
Old 02-23-2007, 05:15 PM

58,000k on my CTD. the dealer told me its 5 year 100k miles. 5 years on my 02 ended on 12-28-06. now what?
Old 02-23-2007, 05:17 PM

I just went through this on my 02. Call Daimler Chrysler before you let the dealer work on it. I made the mistake of letting them do the work first then fighting the issue. In the end I got $1919.93 out $2539.69 the dealer charged me. The diffence was the labor, make sure you let them know before any work is done and they may cover the entire thing!
Daimler Chrysler Customer Assistance Center
P.O. Box 4639
Oak Ridge TN 37831
1-800-992-1997
I needed to have in writing;
Name and address,
Owner name and address is different,
Day and evening phone numbers,
Vin
Name of dealership where it was purchased,
date of purchase,
description of problem (the dead pedal)
vehicle mileage when the problem started,
and the action your requesting! Refund, partial or full I guess?
Because of what happened to me (not calling them first) it took 6/8 weeks for a reply to my letter... then got the check after they called me in two days! Don't be shy about making some phone calls and writing a letter. Good luck, hope it works out. Fill out your signature so we can see what you have.
Old 02-23-2007, 05:49 PM

yeah, i did all that by phone and was told my claim was denied. i have tried to contact the same Rep but SHE wont return my calls.
Old 02-23-2007, 05:52 PM

Sorry about that, wish I could help out more. My contact was "Jamie" at extention 69845
Old 02-23-2007, 06:08 PM

Here's a dumb question, does your truck have modifications to it? Like computer upgrades, injectors, a lot of aftermarket stuff? Just a thought, the dealer may have called DC after they checked it out?
Old 02-23-2007, 06:29 PM

no mod's the dealer knows of HA HA! dc refuses to give me reason for the denial. I just read the warranty book, explains the 5 yr 100k, 7/70 in cali. Do you think hiring a lawyer would be wise or do you think i'm just screwed? i am a computer retard and have never been on this site. how do i list the signature? if DC refuses all together, i will be in the market for a hotrod VP44. other mods consist of , edge juice w/ additude, 4" BD exhaust, K&N fipk. plans of 500hp by this summer. thanks for all your help!
Old 02-23-2007, 06:35 PM

Go to the upper left hand corner the web page and click on "User CP" it opens a new window you can add the information to. Just another thought, the VIN number on your truck may have been "RED FLAGGED" with Daimler Chrysler before you were the second owner?
Old 02-23-2007, 06:40 PM

I spoke with orginal dealer and no red flag was known of. The dealer also was suprised that DC would not assist me in any way. If Dodge is retro fitting, intank pumps, on late model trucks, they know of a pre existing problem. If enought people got together, we could fight back.
Old 02-23-2007, 07:51 PM

Originally Posted by brandikestong
If enought people got together, we could fight back.

It would be nice if there was a page on this site that had a simple statement that allowed the general public to enter their VIN #, build date, mileage and date of VP44 failure and cost to fix, and store this data.

Link that page to TDR and other dodge and diesel forums, and after the THOUSANDS of entries are compiled, send the data to NHSTA, Daimlier Chrysler, Cummins and maybe and attorney.

Maybe if everyone who entered thier data, if needed, submitted a couple dollars, it could pay to get a class action started.

Just an idea, I guess you can tell i'm really edited by admin I just spent $1200 on a freakin' injector pump.

Last edited by Totallyrad; 02-25-2007 at 10:29 PM. Reason: Profanity
Old 02-23-2007, 08:07 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
First you talk of "dead pedal" and "vp 44's".....and then your last post you talk of in-tank lift pump conversions. Take it you want them to buy both pumps for you???

....if your Edge required you to pierce the VP wiring you are out of luck anyways.
Old 02-23-2007, 08:17 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Lama
It would be nice if there was a page on this site that had a simple statement that allowed the general public to enter their VIN #, build date, mileage and date of VP44 failure and cost to fix, and store this data.

Link that page to TDR and other dodge and diesel forums, and after the THOUSANDS of entries are compiled, send the data to NHSTA, Daimlier Chrysler, Cummins and maybe and attorney.

Maybe if everyone who entered thier data, if needed, submitted a couple dollars, it could pay to get a class action started.

Just an idea, I guess you can tell i'm really edited by admin I just spent $1200 on a freakin' injector pump.

....so do you think they should be replaced for free forever??? I think it sucks too, but I own one and I'll continue to drive around in it realizing that it WILL suck $900 from me at any time it chooses. This fuel system is 5 to 8 model years old now. They are ancient history. I'm sure if Dodge could look into their crystal ball and see what kind of expense the Boschturd fuel system was going to cost maybe they would have bailed on the Cummins....but I doubt it.

Last edited by Totallyrad; 02-25-2007 at 10:28 PM. Reason: profanity
Old 02-24-2007, 01:29 PM

yah, im in but i dont know anything about class action lawsuits. i have contacted an attorney, but have yet to here back from him. i will list all my findings. any more help from u will help. lets round everybody up thats the first step.
Old 02-24-2007, 02:10 PM

i only want the injection pump, i have a Carter high volume lift pump that supplies the OEM lift pump w fuel, and my attitude shows constant fuel pressure. i dont believe it is a Bosch prob, i think after the OEM lift pump starves the VP44 it slowly dies. after talking to the original owner of my truck i learned of a lift pump failure in 04. was that enough? all i know is 58k is edited by admin few miles on any truck. Hey u be quiet about that wire DC doesnt have to know about that, nor does anybody else. ha ha. u and i both know that is not the cause of this prob or Edge would be in big trouble. if im full of edited by admin then why did DC authorize in tank lift pumps (like in 03 and newer) as warranty on late model CTDs (fact) they know and they dont want to hear it from guys like me. why no recall if they know? money thats why!

Last edited by Totallyrad; 02-25-2007 at 07:04 PM. Reason: profanity

Quick Reply: 02' dreaded dead peddle