HELP! If you have an EMERGENCY situation with your truck, or you need IMMEDIATE technical help, use this board.

0 Boost at cruise

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2005, 11:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The comp will fool the computer, but not the waste gate. That is why they gave you the elbow. I think the elbow should be adjustable. If it is wide open you will not increase the manifold pressure.

As for no smoke, it sounds like your not getting much extra fuel. Are you adjusting the sub level as well?

Not having any manifold until 35 MPH is a little odd. I am guessing your in third at that speed. I get about 4 PSI in 2nd starting off. 7 in third, more (15-17ish) if I accel. harder. 8-10 in fourth, again 15-17ish if harder. That is not box, fooler, or blockage. Try disconnecting the comp and see what it does.

Randy
Old 07-08-2005, 12:27 AM

I have tried about every sub level and they are all about the same as far as boost pressures. I did'nt see anything as far as adjustability on the elbow. Will look tomarrow.
Will turn off box and see if that helps and will try it with harness unplugged.
Old 07-09-2005, 04:34 PM

I doubt the elbow is adjustable... the elbow I got from edge wasn't. TST makes an adjustable elbow though.

It sounds like your comp isn't connected correctly or may even be malfunctioning. Even when I only had the EZ, I was able to produce a haze in the summer temps. Of course it's a lot more now. The truck was much more responsive than stock.

It also sounds like you have a boost leak somewhere as well. When I only had the EZ, I could hit 32 psi(I have a 60 psi gauge). I have boost in all gears and it comes on immediately... no waiting until 35 mph.
Old 07-09-2005, 04:47 PM

Check all of the connections, take a volt meter and make sure you have 12 volts at the wire that is peircing the pump. When i firts got my comp, i did not feel all these power gains that everyone was talking about, I had checked and triple checked all my connection, had good connection on the pump wire, but still got nothing so to speak.(no more then an Ez, that was what i replaced) I called edge, told them the problem, they sent me a new one and i sent them the old one back. What a difference when i got the new box.
Old 07-09-2005, 07:25 PM

as far as the autometer 60psi gauge... i installed mine around month ago. if it sits in the sun for an hour or two it takes a while for it to get "unstuck" sometimes i tap on the face a little to get it to pick up (i am all stock and can only hit about 13-14psi because of my 21cm housing) i will be calling autometer for a replacement. also... is the gauge 2psi per til 10psi or does it just start reading at 5psi?
Old 07-09-2005, 08:25 PM

I love this gauge! It starts at 1.5 PSI and is in 1/2 PSI intervals...

Or for you big boyz that need a 60 PSI... It starts at 2 PSI is in 1 PSI interval...

Just my 2 cents worth...
Old 07-10-2005, 12:10 PM

Mine is autometer 0-60. it starts out 0,2,4,6,8,10,11,12,13,14......

I will try and get out and do some more checking. It is awfully hot out right now. the needle does not appear to be sticking. i just dont have the low end umpf everone talks about.

I have triple checked all the boots and fittings for air leaks with soap solution.
this truck was a dog when i bought it and with the comp it sounds like a touch better than some stock units on this site.

gonna apply air to the wastegate and see if it is sticking. it acts like it is open more than it should be even with the elbow. I got a friend with a ez without the elbow and it has 3 times the power. his is an 01 2wd 5spd.
Old 07-10-2005, 01:36 PM

new findings

Alright went and checked voltage. 0 volts at the pump wire. checked wastegate applied 20+ psi , no binding , guess it is working.

unhooked comp harness , drove down driveway about the same as with comp wired up. guess the comp is bad hopefully not the harness.
Old 07-10-2005, 09:59 PM

What type of line did you use from the intake to your guage? If you used the line that came with that guage that should be alright. If you are using a rubber hose say a #4 you could be loosing boost when the hose expands. I am using #3 teflon aeroquip, it hardly has any expansion as its mostly used for brake lines where you dont want any.
Old 07-10-2005, 10:52 PM

useing the 1/8 nylon that came wiyh the gauge.
Old 07-10-2005, 11:53 PM

2busy;
check your codes and see if you got an over boost code. If the wastegate is not stuck open and the orice(elbow is in) you should be able to get more boost stock unless the computer is defueling. not sure how the comp's electronic fooler interacts with the rest of its function.

Randy
Old 07-11-2005, 09:07 AM

I've got the 1693 compannion code, it only shows ---- after that then pdone. i dont have any thing to retreive the other code. it's 20 mile drive to oreillys auto store. may be going to one this afternoon.
Old 07-11-2005, 01:44 PM

checked codes got a 0237, did'nt have it till i hooked the comp up.
turbo/super boost sensor A circuit low input.
Old 07-11-2005, 05:55 PM

Re: new findings

Originally posted by 2 busy
Alright went and checked voltage. 0 volts at the pump wire. checked wastegate applied 20+ psi , no binding , guess it is working.

unhooked comp harness , drove down driveway about the same as with comp wired up. guess the comp is bad hopefully not the harness.
OK, if you are not seeing 12v on the pump tap wire (Grey) with the key in the on position, then you don't have a good connection at the pump, or the wrong wire is tapped. Verify that you have the inner wire closest of the two to the block tapped. It sounds to me like you are only running in the EZ mode.

On the boost issue, take a close look at the the lower intercooler boots by the inner fender. Some trucks didn't have enough clearance for the boots and wore a hole in them. You can bend the metal out of the way to gain some extra room. Also look at the first boot off of the turbo, I have seen the AC pressure switch wear a hole in that boot as well. You can loosen the band clamp on the turbo discharge elbow and rotate it to gain some clearance there as well. Just a couple of things too look for.

HTH
Max
Old 07-11-2005, 07:40 PM

Maybe i am checking it wrong, i checked the gray wire unplugged, should i be checking it plugged in? i assummed the volts came from the gray wire to the pump.

i cleared the p0237 code and reconnected everthing drove it 100 miles and no code came up. I didn't connect the pump wire this time. i can feel a little surge as i increase levels but still no smoke issue and the boost only went to 20 on a hill ,peddle on the floor.

i am going to make an adapter and pressure the intake side and see if it is a pressure leak. i can find no leak at idle and no bubbles appear with engine reved up.

it does't look like the boots are rubbing anywhere.

Quick Reply: 0 Boost at cruise