General Diesel Discussion Talk about general diesel engines (theory, etc.) If it's about diesel, and it doesn't fit anywhere else, then put it right in here.

Are you going to buy a Mahindra?

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2010, 12:58 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Are you going to buy a Mahindra?

I will probably buy one if they come to Canada..... Bout time someone is coming out with a small diesel!

http://dfwmahindra.com/index.php?x=vehicleinfo
Old 04-03-2010, 07:04 AM

id consider it if it wasn't so UGLY!! i guess if you could get over the looks it wouldnt be a bad truck
Old 04-03-2010, 09:26 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I'll second the ugliness.

I wish VW would change their minds about bringing the Aramok pickup into the states. That is one sexy looking diesel powered rig.

MikeyB
Old 04-03-2010, 11:40 AM

Not even considering it.
Old 04-03-2010, 12:42 PM

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts
I'd be worried about the brand, not knowing anything about their build quality or customer service philosophy etc., but I agree we definitely need more small diesel vehicles to choose from in our marketplace. When our manufacturers figure this out, maybe they'll stop going bankrupt.
Old 04-03-2010, 02:44 PM

I read some where that thecompany had a license to built the Jeeps during on of the wars. Keith
Old 04-03-2010, 03:28 PM
Banned

Ugly like an old range rover but maybe simple and reliable like an old datsun or VW diesel pickup. Might be a good cheap commuter and work horse.
Old 04-03-2010, 03:53 PM
Administrator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by torquefan
I'd be worried about the brand, not knowing anything about their build quality or customer service philosophy etc.
They have an excellent reputation with their tractors.

Originally Posted by 15 Digger
Fugly like an old range rover but maybe simple and reliable like an old datsun or VW diesel pickup. Might be a good cheap commuter and work horse.
Good and reliable, probably. Cheap? No way. They're going to be asking in the neighborhood of 25 grand for those little things!
Old 04-03-2010, 10:16 PM

How hard is it gonna be to find parts I'm wondering
Old 04-03-2010, 10:47 PM

I will be out of the running for one.... No truck dealers up here in Canada. And as the crow flies I am 2000 miles from Dallas Tx. A little 2 far to drive if I have some problems! With any luck it will be successful and get others in the small truck diesel market. Everywhere else in the world has small economical diesel trucks except North America...... Anyone know the real reason for this?

Unless Mexico has em??? I dunno!
Old 04-04-2010, 12:36 AM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
I saw a review of them on TV, wasn't very favorable. The test driver couldn't get comfortable in it, was too small of a seat/cab and he didn't look like a very big guy.....

That doesn't say much though, we had a bunch of leased 2wd, regular cab Ford Rangers at work and I couldn't sit comfortably in one, I'm not huge either, 6ft ,210lbs. Fortunately their lease was up and we just got a bunch of ext. cab Dakotas in to replace them.
Old 04-04-2010, 10:57 AM

Originally Posted by Swamp_Donkey
I will be out of the running for one.... No truck dealers up here in Canada. And as the crow flies I am 2000 miles from Dallas Tx. A little 2 far to drive if I have some problems! With any luck it will be successful and get others in the small truck diesel market. Everywhere else in the world has small economical diesel trucks except North America...... Anyone know the real reason for this?

Unless Mexico has em??? I dunno!
Yep, Mexico has 'em! Just about every second vehicle is diesel powered south of the border. I was talking to my barber the other day, and his sister lives in Venezuela. IIRC it was around $0.75 a gallon of diesel... makes you wonder doesn't it? Price gouging, what price gouging?
In New Zealand, (where I'm from) Nissan, Ford/Mazda, Toyota and Mitsubishi all have small bore diesels, ever since the late '70's. Maybe I need to load a few containers worth of engines from over there and ship them here...
Old 04-04-2010, 11:59 AM

In Mexico the Ford Rangers have a 2.8 Powerstroke. It would be nice to have a small diesel truck to run around in. Keith
Old 04-04-2010, 07:12 PM

Received 39 Likes on 31 Posts
Originally Posted by KD93
Yep, Mexico has 'em! Just about every second vehicle is diesel powered south of the border. I was talking to my barber the other day, and his sister lives in Venezuela. IIRC it was around $0.75 a gallon of diesel... makes you wonder doesn't it? Price gouging, what price gouging?
In New Zealand, (where I'm from) Nissan, Ford/Mazda, Toyota and Mitsubishi all have small bore diesels, ever since the late '70's. Maybe I need to load a few containers worth of engines from over there and ship them here...
I don't know how many diesels are in Mexico as they only opened up diesels for personal use a couple of years ago. As far as Venezuela goes,Chavez subsidizes the cost. What's diesel in NZ now,$7.00/gal with the conversion? Nicaragua charges charges $5.00/gal for diesel and they are neighbors to Hugo. There is a huge untapped market for small diesel vehicles here for sure.
Old 04-04-2010, 07:42 PM

Originally Posted by chaikwa
Good and reliable, probably. Cheap? No way. They're going to be asking in the neighborhood of 25 grand for those little things!
Hey chaikwa,

tell me what a new RAM with the Cummins costs
In the neighborhood of 40-45k?

But I agree, smaller trucks with small diesel engines would be nice for you.
That Mahindra is ugly though, I wouldn´t drive one. Over here we only get small pickups

Quick Reply: Are you going to buy a Mahindra?