General Diesel Discussion Talk about general diesel engines (theory, etc.) If it's about diesel, and it doesn't fit anywhere else, then put it right in here.

Wow! Dodge Ram Cummins with a 12 speed!

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2004, 07:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wow! Dodge Ram Cummins with a 12 speed!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...category=31831

I've heard old timers tell stories about the compound trannies in big trucks, never seen one in a pickup.
Old 01-29-2004, 08:01 PM

Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts
Could be nothing more than a gear vendors overdrive. Two sticks? has to be some kind of bolt on...
Old 01-29-2004, 10:05 PM

Two gear shifts?

That isn't unusal...I have seen those kinds of setups on small cars actually...Chrylser used to put out a small hatchback that was a compound transmission.

Drove a large one in an old gas Binder...it was 5 and 4...talk about doing nothing but shifting gears!!
Old 01-30-2004, 02:14 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The parts are available to bolt up any of the lighter big truck transmissions with the SAE bellhousing and flywheels from the mid sized trucks. Of course floor pan clearence mods necessary. Same for automatics, an Allison 4060 will bolt right up with the right flywheel housing.
Old 01-30-2004, 07:18 AM

This reminds me of our '64 IH Scout. It has 4 gear shifters. When someone gets in they are blown away.

1- regular shifter, 3 forward & 1 reverse,
2- overdrive, non-overdrive
3- hi or low range ( i like this one, can be used in 2wd or 4wd)
4- 2wd to 4wd

Pretty cool I think.

I know its off topic, but I dont care...lol just kidding.
Old 01-30-2004, 07:54 AM

Re: Two gear shifts?

Originally posted by sgrooms
That isn't unusal...I have seen those kinds of setups on small cars actually...Chrylser used to put out a small hatchback that was a compound transmission.

Drove a large one in an old gas Binder...it was 5 and 4...talk about doing nothing but shifting gears!!
I remember that too. It was offered in the Colt models in the early 80's, a 4 speed main with a 2 speed UD/OD box. I remember reading something about it in MT on a Colt Turbo. The writers said it was really useful if you got used to it. I guess it failed to impress the motoring public since it didn't last.

I've driven a 5 speed/2 speed rear end truck. We had several when I worked for Pepsi. One of them apparently had the speedometer calibrated to the low end of the rear end because in high range the speedometer was reading 20 mph slow. At an indicated 45 mph you were doing 65!

Eh, it was a Ford, what are ya gonna do?
Old 01-30-2004, 07:57 AM

Originally posted by Haulin_in_Dixie
The parts are available to bolt up any of the lighter big truck transmissions with the SAE bellhousing and flywheels from the mid sized trucks. Of course floor pan clearence mods necessary. Same for automatics, an Allison 4060 will bolt right up with the right flywheel housing.
So, for example, a 9 speed tranny made for a medium duty truck would fit too? Interesting. Of course you'd need an air compressor to provide the air needed to range change.
Old 01-30-2004, 02:03 PM

Originally posted by PackRatTDI
So, for example, a 9 speed tranny made for a medium duty truck would fit too? Interesting. Of course you'd need an air compressor to provide the air needed to range change.
There are three sizes of SAE bell housings, A, B, and C. All commercial vehicles (at least made in America) use one of the three. I am sure that the only one made for the 5.9 is the smallest one. A simple measurement across the circle of bolt holes will give you what to look for in a trans. To put a 600 series roadranger in the dodge you would need the flywheel housing, starter, and flywheel. One problem on ours is the hydraulic clutch, you would have to find or rig up a clutch linkage for it. I have not looked to see if there is a hydraulic slave cylinder on an SAE transmission, probably is. My 613 RR is mechanical push clutch. The bell on the trans is bored for the linkage for a pull clutch. Later if the six speed does not hold up, I will stay with the 3.55 rear gears and go with a 610 or 6610 and have the gears to run both ends of the speedometer. The 6610 is a later model with finer pitched gears. What I have here is a RTO613 which is actually the setup of a 15 speed. It has deep reduction and then the low and high range, overdrive is in the front box with the backwards shift pattern.
Old 02-05-2004, 11:04 PM
Administrator

Received 40 Likes on 34 Posts
I would love to have a compound tranny behind my Cummins. I love shifting. Too bad I didn't look around more when I bought my truck, it an auto.
Old 02-05-2004, 11:51 PM

Originally posted by jrs_dodge_diesel
I would love to have a compound tranny behind my Cummins. I love shifting. Too bad I didn't look around more when I bought my truck, it an auto.
You must be kidding......we need to trade trucks for a couple of weeks....you may love shifting now....but the 6 speed will cure you of that in a hurry....
Old 02-06-2004, 12:13 AM

Originally posted by Dr. Evil
You must be kidding......we need to trade trucks for a couple of weeks....you may love shifting now....but the 6 speed will cure you of that in a hurry....
Don't mind it a bit. With the Road Ranger you don't have to bother with the clutch either. Depending on the gearing of the individual unit (low first) some units will even slip into first no clutch. I doubt it on the ram though with the 850 idle. Used to do that with the RTO913/Detroit all the time. Could not do it with the 9513 or 9509, faster gearing.
Old 02-06-2004, 07:22 PM
Adminstrator-ess

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Yeah, shifting's not such a chore when you never use the clutch. I do it all day in the work truck, got a couple of calluses on my right pinky to prove it. I'd try it in the Dodge but I don't think the Getrag would appreciate it.
Old 02-06-2004, 07:42 PM

I have read on here that some do it with the six speed, can't do it on mine. I could with the nv4500.
Old 02-06-2004, 08:19 PM

Had a 5 speed in the old truck and a 6 speed now. Don't mind the shifting vs transmission break downs. I smoked to many slush boxes to want one.