General Diesel Discussion Talk about general diesel engines (theory, etc.) If it's about diesel, and it doesn't fit anywhere else, then put it right in here.

Would this help lower fuel prices??

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2004, 11:44 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Would this help lower fuel prices??

Do do yall think that this would really work?? Got this as an email.

Join the resistance!!!!

I hear we are going to hit close to $3.00 a gallon by the summer. Want gasoline prices to come down? We need to take some intelligent, united
action. Phillip Hollsworth, offered this good idea:

This makes MUCH MORE SENSE than the "don't buy gas on a certain day" campaign that was going around last April or May! The oil companies just laughed at that because they knew we wouldn't continue to "hurt" ourselves by refusing to buy gas. It was more of an inconvenience to us than it was a problem for them.

BUT, whoever thought of this idea, has come up with a plan that can really work. Please read it and join with us!

By now you're probably thinking gasoline priced at about $1.50 is super cheap. Me too! It is currently $1.72 for regular unleaded in my town.
Now that the oil companies and the OPEC nations have conditioned us to think that the cost of a gallon of gas is CHEAP at $1.50- $1.75, we
need to take aggressive action to teach them that BUYERS control the marketplace....not sellers. With the price of gasoline going up more each day, we consumers The only way we are going to see the price of gas come down is if we hit someone in the pocketbook by not purchasing their gas!
And we can do that WITHOUT hurting ourselves. How? Since we all rely on our cars, we can't just stop buying gas. But we CAN have An impact on gas
prices if we all act together to force a price war.
Here's the idea: For the rest of this year, DON'T purchase ANY gasoline from the two biggest companies (which now are one), EXXON and MOBIL.
If they are not selling any gas, they will be inclined to reduce their prices. If they reduce their prices, the other companies will have to follow suit.
But to have an impact, we need to reach literally millions of Exxon and Mobil gas buyers. It's really simple to do!! Now, don't whimp out on me at this
point...keep reading and I'll explain how simple it is to reach millions of people!!
I am sending this note to about thirty people. If each of you send it to at least ten more (30 x 10 = 300) ... and those 300 send it to at least ten
more (300 x 10 = 3,000)...and so on, by the time the message reaches the sixth generation of people, we will have reached over THREE MILLION consumers! If those three million get excited and pass this on to ten friends each, then 30 million people will have been contacted!
If it goes one level further, you guessed it..... THREE HUNDRED MILLION PEOPLE!!!

Again, all You have to do is send this to 10 people. That's all. (If you don't understand how we can reach 300 million and all you have to do is send this to 10 people.... Well, let's face it, you just aren't a mathematician. But I am ... so trust me on this one.)

How long would all that take? If each of us sends this email out to ten more people within one day of receipt, all 300 MILLION people could conceivably
be contacted within the next 8 days!!! I'll bet you didn't think you and I had that much potential, did you! Acting together we can make a difference.
If this makes sense to you, please pass this message on. PLEASE HOLD OUT UNTIL THEY LOWER THEIR PRICES TO THE $1.30 RANGE AND KEEP THEM
DOWN. THIS CAN REALLY WORK.
Old 02-16-2004, 11:48 AM
DTR Founder

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
This is a joke, and came out years ago. It would never work. The oil companies have enough money to sustain themselves for quite some time. If nobody bought fuel for a day, that is like nothing to them. Now if you could do it for a month, then it would be a different story. Good luck with that though.
Old 02-16-2004, 07:44 PM
Administrator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Mathmetician view:

consumer income (generally speaking) = $25,000.00 to $100,000.00 per year

oil company income (generally speaking) = $25 billion to $100 billion per year conservatively speaking

I'm betting on the oil company. The only thing you do by not buying gas a certain day is allow them to build up the depleted reserves a little. If you don't buy it, someone else will. If you want to see near major chaos, you should have been around here when the hurricane came through and the gas stations didn't have power for five or six days till some got temporary generators (what price wars). Or those that remember the gas lines of the early 70's and odd-even days.
You will never win against the oil companies as long as they are pumping crude out of the ground. Kinda like bringing a knife to a gun fight. The only way to even think about evening the odds (just a little) is to put our farmers to work growing our own fuel.

(patiently awaiting oil truck to deliver home heating oil)
Old 02-16-2004, 08:19 PM

There is merit in the scope and intent. Large energy companies watch their markshare on a daily basis. This equates to the VP of marketing seeing the effectiveness of his/her department failing. They know the CEO is watching them and more than likely they have a % of market share to achieve and maintain in their performance contract.

So, if everyone bypassed Exooff/Mibil to say buy at the Pectin, etc. for 1 week you would have a bunch of red eyes doing double takes and they would start a downward spiral in price to get their market share back.

True that 1 refinery sells product to several companies who may or may not add their own additives, but refineing margins generally are quite narrow. Marketing (service stations) is where they hope to make up shortfalls.

If everyone did do this it would be a fine show from the sidelines to watch the enemy organization of Maxwell Smart and Agent 99 demonstrate how they got their name.

Old 02-17-2004, 03:34 PM

Actually, It would work, and has worked, Once that I know in the last couple years, Back on Sept 11......... AND there was a huge gas usage the day of Sept 11, But, everyone didnt buy it for a day or so. Only the people that were in the trasportation Indrustry did. That why here in Iowa Gasoline dropped al the way down to 83 cents per gallon ( what i remember seeing may have been some lower ones) and Diesel stayed aroudn 1.30. Theres some food for thought. So in all actuallity, how many people really go through a tank a day? other than truckers and what not. I bet most of the people wouldnt. So if you could even reach 1/2 the people out there and tell them to stop buyin for that one day, wed be ok. As far as changing the company you buy from, Wont work for most people however, a lot of small towns only have 1 station, maybe 2.
Old 02-17-2004, 04:30 PM

Originally posted by BigBlackDodge
For insatance - Go down to your local Circle K - there is a Exxon sign outside. Go down to the 7-11 and theres a Texaco sign outside. Guess what - Un less there is a Exxon or Texaco (Shell) refinery in your neighborhood, your gas is being made by your local Citgo Plant. Just because there is a Exxon sign does not mean Exxon is making your gas. Closest Exxon plant to me is in Baytown, TX. 240 miles away. And no - there not trucking it in.
Food for thought.
Same old story no matter where you live. Just because the branded station is there, doesn't mean they are receiving fuels from that brand's refinery.

When I lived in Wyoming, we had Exxon, Texaco, Sinclair and Conoco stations in our small town. The trucks arrived on Saturday from Billings refineries. Most came from the Cenex plant and one or two from Exxon; Sinclair always got their fuels from their refinery. There wasn't a single Texaco refinery within 500 miles of our locale. Now all the Texaco stations are Shell, but there's no Shell refinery.

Holding out against the refiners isn't going to do anything. They have the product and you need it.

Originally posted by kingofdodge7131
Actually, It would work, and has worked, Once that I know in the last couple years, Back on Sept 11......... AND there was a huge gas usage the day of Sept 11, But, everyone didnt buy it for a day or so. Only the people that were in the trasportation Indrustry did. That why here in Iowa Gasoline dropped al the way down to 83 cents per gallon ( what i remember seeing may have been some lower ones) and Diesel stayed aroudn 1.30. Theres some food for thought. So in all actuallity, how many people really go through a tank a day? other than truckers and what not. I bet most of the people wouldnt. So if you could even reach 1/2 the people out there and tell them to stop buyin for that one day, wed be ok. As far as changing the company you buy from, Wont work for most people however, a lot of small towns only have 1 station, maybe 2.
Yeah, 9-11 was the only day we didn't see trucks at the airport fueling aircraft either, but that was only three days where nothing moved. Neither did the refinery trucks. Most people stayed glued to their tv sets and our western prices never dropped a dime. Those of us that had storage tanks got our regular deliveries the following week.
Old 02-17-2004, 04:55 PM

Like DieselDude4x4 Said Your not going to hurt the majors.These oil co. trade & sell back and forth all the time. When One co. is out of product at the pipeline I load at they just barrow then repay. Not all brands are in every area. Most of the stations here are independently owened but the prices have to reflect what the oil co. charge the jobber that is supplying it. To stop buying at one particular brand station would more than likely put the little guy out of buisness & the guy down the street would benifit. The oil co. don't care if they sell to you John Q public or to another oil co.
Old 02-17-2004, 08:23 PM

http://www.miami.com/mld/miamiherald...ss/7952274.htm
Old 02-17-2004, 09:37 PM

You people must not have read the whole thing...it says that not buying gas for 1 day has already been tried and did not work.

"This makes MUCH MORE SENSE than the "don't buy gas on a certain day" campaign that was going around last April or May! The oil companies just laughed at that because they knew we wouldn't continue to "hurt" ourselves by refusing to buy gas. It was more of an inconvenience to us than it was a problem for them."

What the article is talking about is, not buying gas from 2 companies for a WHOLE YEAR!

"Here's the idea: For the rest of this year, DON'T purchase ANY gasoline from the two biggest companies (which now are one), EXXON and MOBIL."

If 30 million people didn't buy gas from a company or 2 for a whole year, I'd think that would be a huge chunk of profit out the window.

Americans are buying their products out of convenience rather than basing their decisions on quality and reputations. We shop at Walmart because everything we need is right there...while Chuck and Jane's Butcher Shop down the road suffers, eventhough they have the best meat in town.
Old 02-18-2004, 08:23 AM

Saying not too buy fuel from Exxon or Mobil stations is like the idiots that wanted people to boycott French restaraunts a year ago. The only people they were hurting were the American citizens who owned them. It didn't faze the French government a bit. If you boycott these stations you will in many cases be hurting the people in your community who own and run them. Yes Virginia $1.50 a gallon is cheap for fuel. Look at how much of the price is tax and what oil costs a barrel. Contrary too popular belief the large oil company's do not set the price of crude. Opec control's it by supply and demand. If the oil company's controlled it, then it would be even higher. As for the enormous profits, yes they do make lots of money. But when you are in a business taking enormous risks, that's the payoff, or you wouldn't be doing it. If you think fuel prices are high here, ask anyone from any other country in the world how much they are paying per gallon in US dollars. Besides, I make a good living working for ExxonMobil, So pick on some other company like BP/Amoco or Royal Dutch/Shell. At least ExxonMobil is American owned.
Old 02-18-2004, 10:19 AM

I don't buy from Exxon-Mobil, Shell or BP-Amoco and haven't for years. I buy from ConocoPhillips locally and Cenex or Arco when I'm out west. Chevron was never a big seller in any of my travelled areas, so it was never considered. On occasion I've bought from Unocal, Citgo, Fina and Total.

Staying away from the Big 3 is gonna be hard on a lot of people where there's not much choice.
Old 02-18-2004, 10:45 AM

so I know who the big three or two are but what stations don't use fuel from the big guys?
DM01
Old 02-18-2004, 01:00 PM

Originally posted by dodgeman01
so I know who the big three or two are but what stations don't use fuel from the big guys?
DM01
You'll never know, unless you follow the truck.....
Old 02-18-2004, 05:19 PM
Administrator

It costs so much to produce a gallon of gas or diesel fuel and that is what we pay plus the cost of the profits they want to tack on and the few pennies the seller makes per gallon just like anything else we buy.
There is a way to hurt the oil companies, about 20 million of us could go back to horse and buggy and not need oil. Yeah right.
Like I said before, if you don't buy that gas or diesel guess what, someone else will. Even if bio diesel did become readily available and comparibly priced to dino fuel here in the states, it still would not hurt the oil companies. I just buy the fuel or gas, be glad it's as available as it is, and drive happily on.

Quick Reply: Would this help lower fuel prices??