General Diesel Discussion Talk about general diesel engines (theory, etc.) If it's about diesel, and it doesn't fit anywhere else, then put it right in here.

Will it be worth owning a diesel in the future

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2007, 10:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Will it be worth owning a diesel in the future

With fuel prices and all the hooplah do you belive that we could all be screwed down the road and be stuck with a useless machine because of costs to run it , already the diesel market seems to be dropping on used at least
Old 04-11-2007, 10:29 PM

I think it may get to the point that owning a 3/4 or larger diesel truck will (is) not practical for a daily driver. It will make sense as a work vehicle that tows or carried constantly.

I think the introduction of 1/2 ton diesel will fill that void. They'll figure out the nuances of the emissions and the mileage will come back up with more power (I'd bet).

Having a diesel car will be the same IMHO, esp. when honda starts kicking butt in the market.
Old 04-11-2007, 10:37 PM

disel should go down in the future. Also, look at the fact that a diesel gets about 20% or so better mileage than a gasser equivalent, its still cost benefit fuel wise to use diesel. Also, diesels have a much higher resale value. It will still be more cost efficient to own a diesel in the long run, you just gotta figure in the savings when you're crying at the pump after filling up
Old 04-12-2007, 11:30 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I don't use my truck for daily driving, just towing, hay hauling and working with the sawmill. I wish toyota would come out with a turbo 4 cyl diesel that would get 30mpg. I'd even consider buying a new truck if they did. Meanwhile, I am working on getting my diesel VW together, and using my gas jetta as a daily driver.
Old 04-12-2007, 11:47 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i could use a honda civic in place of my rig and would be fine but i never will!!!
Old 04-12-2007, 11:50 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
If you use the diesel for a job that it performs best (in my case, towing our 5th wheel RV), then yes, it will be worth it.

If the diesel is only a toy or a mall cruiser, maybe the choice won't be so clear.

Rusty
Old 04-12-2007, 12:53 PM

ok, I know this is not what this thread was started for but..... On the gassers, WHY is it that fuel manufacturers are STILL making three grades of fuel????... With computer controlled spark energy, variable valve timing, better fuel mapping for max. effiency etc... that ALL current manufacturers use... WHY have three grades?.. It cost $$$$ to run that production line, its not any better or worse for a gasser than 87 octane?? I could probably see keeping the premium and regular, but not the midgrade????...
Old 04-12-2007, 01:05 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I think that midgrade is just a blend of the other two. My sawmill, chainsaws and boat outboards specify minimum of 89 octane, and for those of us with older cars that don't computer control their timing, 89 octane is good. My jetta and my wife's corolla both ping on 87.
Old 04-12-2007, 01:07 PM

Originally Posted by taildragger
disel should go down in the future. Also, look at the fact that a diesel gets about 20% or so better mileage than a gasser equivalent, its still cost benefit fuel wise to use diesel. Also, diesels have a much higher resale value. It will still be more cost efficient to own a diesel in the long run, you just gotta figure in the savings when you're crying at the pump after filling up
Now i'm not tryin to be a EDIT, but how long(miles or years) will ~20% better fuel economy take to recover the price of the diesel option?? With tons of people trading every year or two, personally i dont think it will be feasible for someone that just wants to have one and doesnt need it for work, 5th wheel,etc. As of right now i dont think even after im out of school and working full-time that i will buy another diesel, the one i got now will just have to hang around for a LONG time

Just my .02

DieselDaze

Last edited by steerjock; 04-12-2007 at 01:10 PM. Reason: more info
Old 04-12-2007, 02:38 PM

When you go to resell it in 4 years the value of the diesel engine over the same truck with gas will equal the difference with ease. The Hemi powered Rams are already loosing value fast. I just hope the diesel Grand Cherokee makes a good replacement for the Wifes Buick.
Old 04-12-2007, 02:52 PM

Originally Posted by steerjock
Now i'm not tryin to be a EDIT, but how long(miles or years) will ~20% better fuel economy take to recover the price of the diesel option?? With tons of people trading every year or two, personally i dont think it will be feasible for someone that just wants to have one and doesnt need it for work, 5th wheel,etc. As of right now i dont think even after im out of school and working full-time that i will buy another diesel, the one i got now will just have to hang around for a LONG time

Just my .02

Originally Posted by mcoleman
When you go to resell it in 4 years the value of the diesel engine over the same truck with gas will equal the difference with ease. The Hemi powered Rams are already loosing value fast. I just hope the diesel Grand Cherokee makes a good replacement for the Wifes Buick.
Adam...Mike hit the nail on the head! I don't know what you paid for your truck, but I know what I paid for mine. I'll guarantee you that both of us paid DOUBLE what we would have if they were gas Not too mention that your truck got what, 21mpg on it's way to Nebraska?? Mine get's 14.5-16mpg driving like I do...Dad's 01 6.0L Chevy gets 14mpg highway, and Dale's 454 gets 10 max, so even with fuel $.20 higher for diesel, mine's still cheaper

If the US would get more consumer vehicles on the road with diesels, the price "should" come down on the equipment, and on the fuel...but we all know that even if sales explode, we all know the fuel won't get cheaper (or even stay the same) because of greedy oil companies and polititians, or whatever else someone thinks causes this!

It's all in what you're gonna use it for...I bought mine because I wanted it, it's economical for what I want to do, and they're fun toys Would you Dad's 92 still be running if it were gas...think how bad of shape that thing would be in now

Sorry for the long post
Chris
Old 04-12-2007, 04:30 PM

yah i really cant ever see myself pulling a five place snowmobile trailer a boat or a jeep behind a gasser these are things i dont do a heck of a lot but i like having my cummins when i do im just worried... i dont wanna loose the ole girl even though shes nothin but problems lately
Old 04-12-2007, 06:37 PM

It's very economical for me since my little VW Beetle gets close to 50mpg as my DD and my tow rig gets way better than any gasser with the same power. Plus the truck is just so much fun when I "turn it up".
Old 04-12-2007, 06:39 PM

Originally Posted by signature600
Adam...Mike hit the nail on the head! I don't know what you paid for your truck, but I know what I paid for mine. I'll guarantee you that both of us paid DOUBLE what we would have if they were gas Not too mention that your truck got what, 21mpg on it's way to Nebraska?? Mine get's 14.5-16mpg driving like I do...Dad's 01 6.0L Chevy gets 14mpg highway, and Dale's 454 gets 10 max, so even with fuel $.20 higher for diesel, mine's still cheaper

If the US would get more consumer vehicles on the road with diesels, the price "should" come down on the equipment, and on the fuel...but we all know that even if sales explode, we all know the fuel won't get cheaper (or even stay the same) because of greedy oil companies and polititians, or whatever else someone thinks causes this!

It's all in what you're gonna use it for...I bought mine because I wanted it, it's economical for what I want to do, and they're fun toys Would you Dad's 92 still be running if it were gas...think how bad of shape that thing would be in now

Sorry for the long post
Chris
There's no way dads ole '92 would be running thats for sure. I guess here's what im thinking. I guess i'm tryin to compare new vechicles and the value you get back in a year or two on trade-in (which will be lower but will there be more than ~$5,000 difference or whatever the diesel option cost is). My other guess is that used diesels will begin to hold their value much longer than they are now. One thing i definately agree with Chris on is if it gets to the point where the gas vechicle to diesel is say a 50/50 ratio, prices "should" be more comparable, say a nickel difference. If things change i will admit that i was wrong and whatnot though i do think it's good for everyone who reads this to at least think about this 'dilema'.Anyway for now i'll stay on my lonely side of the fence
Old 04-12-2007, 07:19 PM

And to boot, with all the new emission stuff, all the trucks that dont have it are gonna skyrocket in value because they will be able to get more power for ALOT less money AND they might get better mileage to boot! Or is my thinkin' backwards?

Jon

Quick Reply: Will it be worth owning a diesel in the future