General Diesel Discussion Talk about general diesel engines (theory, etc.) If it's about diesel, and it doesn't fit anywhere else, then put it right in here.

Will and/or when will GM slap the DMax in a Suburban?

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2003, 01:39 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Will and/or when will GM slap the DMax in a Suburban?

Maybe you guys have discussed this before but I'm wondering about it. Now that would be a nice ride. I don't know of any reason they couldn't. The under-hood area should be the same betwixt the pick'em'up and Sub / Yukon XL.
Old 12-18-2003, 02:18 PM

Re:Will and/or when will GM slap the DMax in a Suburban?

There was a rumor of a torque limited Dmax in the suburban/YukXL. The issue wasn't the motor, but the allison trans. It's too tall to fit in the smaller frame rails of the Sub, but fits ok in the larger/taller frame of the GM HD trucks.

As much as I like the idea, it would be silly expensive adding another $6k+ to the cost of that truck.
Old 12-18-2003, 03:08 PM

Well, they might want to look at the excursion sales. apparently it wasn't a good idea for Ford.

I don't think it will happen until somebody gets brave enough to install slightly smaller engine in a 1/2 ton truck. Too bad the deal on the navistar v-6 fell through. Might have pushed everyone else along.
Old 12-18-2003, 05:57 PM

Rumor has it that Ford still wants a small diesel for the F150. Just isn't going to be navistar.

And there was some rumblings about 6mo back about a torque limited duramax in the 'burban, same as they do to get the 8100 to work.
Old 12-19-2003, 07:17 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Rumor from the GM camp is that a detune Duramax will be available in the Suburban and Avalanche for next year. My understanding the tranny will be the 4L85E.

MikeyB
Old 12-19-2003, 06:23 PM

G.M. has offered the 8.4 with few takers from what I understand. The torque was supposed to be great and with plenty of pullin power. I would imagine a real gas eater. I have owned burbs since 93 and the 2000 I had was getting better but as for me they don't own up to what they promote just my 02 no brand bashing intended. I would wonder why they would put the max in with low volume sales of the big v-8 gasser
Old 12-23-2003, 09:55 PM

While I agree with your point to some extent, the SUV has won a spot in my driveway, so far at least, over the pickup for one big reason. Dry, lockable, storage. Wife looks at the pickup and thinks "where do the kids go, where does all our stuff go". A cap gets you close, but in essence you loose some pickup function doing that. Some of the folding locking covers seem to be the solution, but they aren't as wife friendly as the SUV.

Minivan's can't tow squat. SUV's can. I know MANY people for which that was their only reason for going SUV. Boat, camper, whatever. For most all of them the 1/2 ton stuff is more than enough. Only reason I'd want the DMAX in the 'burban, assuming it wasn't $60k, would be power and mileage.

Oh, as far as SUV's being the death of the world, I'm having a hard time with that one. I got 20MPH in my V8 explorer driving out to the in-laws for Christmas. The same trip in my Audi A4 (1.8L four cyl) returned about 24, until you put the roof box on it (for all the stuff that didn't fit into it)..then they are about equal.

Once the hippies have the SUV's the pickups come next.
Old 12-23-2003, 10:40 PM

Who Cares
Just kidding. I remember all the hype and mags about the Dmax when it came out and how the design was modular and such. GM was supposed to chop 2 cyl. off to have a smaller 6 cyl version. This was to be used in a future 1/2 ton and the Suburb. After a few years I read again that GM was running over capacity cranking these things out implying there was no time or capacity to mess with a smaller 6 cyl version. Now its been about 4 years and the whole thing seems to have died.

so, I don't have a clue or an answer to your question. But I also wonder if everyone is now going to just sit and wait for the 2006 or whenever the new diesel fuel and standards take effect.