General Diesel Discussion Talk about general diesel engines (theory, etc.) If it's about diesel, and it doesn't fit anywhere else, then put it right in here.

Why "motor"

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2008, 08:12 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Good one, raspy.

(patooie!) Aw, yeah - 'at 'ere truck's gotta good ole motor in it ..............
Old 01-09-2008, 08:14 AM

Received 93 Likes on 73 Posts
Originally Posted by HOHN
I prefer the term engine just because I've always heard "motor" more often from rednecks than I hear "engine"-- hence my assumption that "engine" is the correct term by inference

JH

Good one.

The rest of us can hush now.
Old 01-09-2008, 08:55 AM
24v

Originally Posted by HOHN
I prefer the term engine just because I've always heard "motor" more often from rednecks than I hear "engine"-- hence my assumption that "engine" is the correct term by inference

JH
Guilty.....I'm a redneck. Maybe that Merriem-Webster feller is a redneck too.

Main Entry: 1mo·tor
Pronunciation: \ˈmō-tər\
Function: noun
Etymology: Latin, from movēre to move
Date: 1586
1: one that imparts motion; specifically : prime mover
2: any of various power units that develop energy or impart motion: as a: a small compact engine b: internal combustion engine; especially : a gasoline engine c: a rotating machine that transforms electrical energy into mechanical energy

Isn't a steam engine an external combustion engine which would rightfully class it as an "engine" and not a motor?

Tomato - Mater
Potato - Tater

Different way of saying the same thing. I don't know of one time that I called it a motor and someone didn't know what I was talking about.
Old 01-09-2008, 11:32 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by torquefan
I've often shook my head over that one too. How about "driving with undue care and attention" instead of "driving withOUT due care and attention."?
How about being charged with "Eluding an officer" instead of "Attempting to elude an officer"? If the suspect had eluded the officer, no one could be charged unless the officer already knew who they were.
Old 01-09-2008, 12:03 PM

Originally Posted by 12valve@heart
How about being charged with "Eluding an officer" instead of "Attempting to elude an officer"? If the suspect had eluded the officer, no one could be charged unless the officer already knew who they were.
Sounds like a good loop hole...
Old 01-09-2008, 12:05 PM

All I know is when I started my job at CAT, they laughed the first time I called an engine a motor.
Old 01-09-2008, 12:17 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by purduepurdy
All I know is when I started my job at CAT, they laughed the first time I called an engine a motor.
That's funny...
Old 01-09-2008, 03:20 PM

Originally Posted by trik396
Ya know what really gets me going... When people say, "I could care less"........ If you could care less then why don't you?

It's, "I COULDN'T CARE LESS" OR "I COULD NOT CARE LESS"..... This is the proper way to tell someone you really don't give a darn....
its sarcasm ... its an abbreviated way of saying "oh yeah, as if i could care less about it." its like saying "oh yeah, of course," sarcastically - "i could care less."
Old 01-09-2008, 03:38 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I understand sarcasm but I don't understand what you mean...

"I could care less" -if you are talking to someone and want them to know you don't give a rats behind... THEN you should tell them "I couldn't care less" as in I care so little about this, it is impossible for me to care at all...

comprende?
Old 01-09-2008, 06:07 PM

This is a great topic! Sounds like we got us sum Rocket motoreers here at DTR. Or is it DVR for Diesel Vehicle Resource because isn't a pick-m-up truck really a vehicle and not a truck which would be classified as..................
Old 01-09-2008, 06:30 PM
Chapter President

I hate it when people dont understand that anything and nothing dont mean the same thing. Here in Texas there a tons of Mexicans that use one when the other should have been used. Like " That doesnt mean nothing to me."
Old 01-09-2008, 07:45 PM

Sheesh, several pages on this...You boy's don't wear yerself out,....

500 years from now Chief Engineer, Scottie, will be yellin' out to Captain Kirk,......"Coptin, ....I'm giviner all she's got, .....If we keep this up she's gonna blow!" So 500 years from now the term "she" will be acceptable as a motor or engine.

It's funny how words take different meanings throughout generations. Who would have ever thought the phrase that we all grew up with might be taken the wrong way. In the 70's when I was a kid it was acceptable to hear June Cleaver say "Ward, you were pretty hard on the ****** last night" (Leave it to Beaver show)
Old 01-09-2008, 09:09 PM

Originally Posted by OneBigDoofus

It's funny how words take different meanings throughout generations. Who would have ever thought the phrase that we all grew up with might be taken the wrong way. In the 70's when I was a kid it was acceptable to hear June Cleaver say "Ward, you were pretty hard on the ****** last night" (Leave it to Beaver show)

I am crackin' up here!!!! That is freakin' Hilarious!

Oh, and I know machinist and engine builders that call 'em motors....I gave up on this a while ago. It used to just bother the heck out of me, but I am kindof used to it.

However, sometimes I can't resist a smart A comment when I here "what size motor dat ting got init?" while refering to one of my projects. I also love from the redneck mechanics "dat a tree fitty chevy?" or "you got dat ting board out tirty o' foty over?" all the while spittin' backy on their own damned boots or down the front of their shirt!
Old 01-09-2008, 09:38 PM

Motor or engine oil? Then again, thats "big oil", so is that them secretly buying the word "motor" a new meaning?
Old 01-09-2008, 09:42 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by purduepurdy
Good to know-- I'll fit in if I end up working there someday

Quick Reply: Why "motor"