General Diesel Discussion Talk about general diesel engines (theory, etc.) If it's about diesel, and it doesn't fit anywhere else, then put it right in here.

Why "motor"

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2008, 05:22 PM
Administrator / Scooter Bum

Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts
Originally Posted by Dodgezilla
Is it grEy or grAy?????? Color of course....
According to Wikipedia, the correct answer is yes.

Grey or gray (see spelling differences) describes any color between black and white. Collectively, white, black, and the range of greys between them are known as achromatic colors or neutral colors. Greys are seen commonly in nature and fashion. Grey paints can be created by mixing complementary colors (that is colors directly opposite on the color wheel, e.g. yellow and violet). In the RGB color model used by computer displays, it is created by mixing equal amounts of red, green, and blue light. Images which consist wholly of neutral colors are called monochrome, black-and-white or greyscale.

Grey vs. Gray:
Grey became the established British spelling in the 20th century, pace Dr. Johnson and others,[85] and is but a minor variant in American English, according to dictionaries. Canadians tend to prefer grey. Non-cognate greyhound is never grayhound.

Old 01-06-2008, 05:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yeah, I even looked it up in the dictionary a while back. I hate spelling things wrong and couldn't remember which way to spell it...
Old 01-06-2008, 06:07 PM
Administrator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
,,,,,,,,, and then they always told me "Spell it like it sounds",,,,,,,

comb

bomb

tomb

Yeah RIGHT!
Old 01-06-2008, 06:46 PM
Muted User

Originally Posted by Dodgezilla
Can we just all start calling it a PowerPlant so nobody gets offended?!?!?!

Naa. Chernobyl was a power plant, granted not a very good one but hey! Chernobyl = 6.0L Powerstroke! Wow maybe your on to something both are disasters! HAHA
Old 01-06-2008, 08:21 PM

[QUOTE=Tate;1876088][QUOTE=logskidder;1875585]

Not directly. An engine can power a pump/generator, which then provides power to a motor. I've never heard/seen an engine and a motor of somekind directly connected.

I never said directly.......your still using the engine energy to power the motor,the motor needs energy to produce TQ as where the engine needs fuel to produce (or convert to) energy.
Old 01-06-2008, 08:30 PM

Originally Posted by Raspy
Why do so many guys call the Cummins engine a "motor"?

I always think of something that uses electricity as a motor and if it uses fuel it's an engine. Or maybe if it's a very small engine, motor works OK, but a big heavy diesel engine being called a motor is a bit of a stretch. Do ships have motors? Do big rigs have motors? When someone installs a motor driven compressor what have they done? Is is a compressor with an electric motor or an engine driven compressor?

I consider that big roaring iron thing under the hood to be an engine. A motor runs the winshield wipers and blows the air when the heater is on. The lift pump is motor driven and a motor adjusts my seat. They run on electricity. My tractor has a diesel engine. If it roars and blows smoke it's an engine. Motors whine and sharpen pencils or mix cookie dough or power my shaver or move paper through my printer. Engines run power plants, propel ships and pump concrete. They burn fuel. And my favorite engine, a diesel engine, powers my Dodge. I don't consider it a motor.

John
SO, do you call your Harley an "engine cycle"?
Old 01-06-2008, 09:06 PM
Muted User

Originally Posted by imaybail
SO, do you call your Harley an "engine cycle"?
Actually I call them an "overpriced 48hp rattle trap"
Old 01-06-2008, 09:58 PM

My CUMMINGS turbo diesel MOTOR gets great GAS mileage. Wooo-hooo, a tri-fecta.

Nick
Old 01-06-2008, 10:54 PM

motor mouth(?)
motor head
motorcar
motorcycle
motor scooter
motor bike
motorboat
outboard motor
motor launch
motor carriage
motorway
motorcross
motorcade
motor sports
motor oil
motor mounts
Ford Motor Company (yeah.......I know!)
Chrysler Motor Cars
General Motors
GMC
American Motors Corp (Jeep)
Hummer mil-spec
Harley-Davidson Motorcycles
Indian Motorcycles
Bavarian Motor Werks
Department of Motor Vehicles
Motorized vehicles not permitted off-road
Indianapolis Motor Speedway

Etc.........we're sorta commited to the term - anybody got any more?

While Ford, GM, DCX, AMC and etc could all be referring to the fact that their products all have starter motors, and windshield wiper motors, and blower motors, and antenna motors, and electric doorlock motors, and electric window motors, I rather suspect they were referring to their own particular infernal combustion engines, as used to motor down the hiways and byways and over the roads and across the freeways of America.
Old 01-07-2008, 02:45 AM

[QUOTE=logskidder;1876580][QUOTE=Tate;1876088]
Originally Posted by logskidder

Not directly. An engine can power a pump/generator, which then provides power to a motor. I've never heard/seen an engine and a motor of somekind directly connected.

I never said directly.......your still using the engine energy to power the motor,the motor needs energy to produce TQ as where the engine needs fuel to produce (or convert to) energy.
Fuel is stored chemical energy, or potential energy. Both take potential energy and convert it to rotary motion.

Is a steam turbine an engine or motor? It runs off of a compressed gas (pneumatic motor), but still requires a fuel source to run (coal/gas/wood/uranium/etc.).
Old 01-07-2008, 10:19 AM

Yep - then there's the steam engine......and the traction engine........and the fire engine, when it was drawn by hand or horse, and now, by Diesel engine.......and engines of war, such as the catapult and that huge battering ram on wheels, and the crossbow - in those cases, an engine is a mechanical contrivance that uses stored energy inherent in the design: tension, force, inertia - to act on something else -
Old 01-07-2008, 03:04 PM

Originally Posted by Totallyrad
Or a skidsteer by any name a Bobcat.
!!!

We have an S250 Bobcat and i always just call it the Bobcat. Someone with a Caterpillar skidsteer yelled at me for calling ours a Bobcat
Old 01-08-2008, 02:47 AM

And yet, more often than not, we buy "Motor Oil" for our engines
Old 01-08-2008, 08:12 PM
DTR's 'Wrench thrower...' And he aims for the gusto...

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
If you can't stop talking are you an engine mouth or a motor mouth?

After a nice ride on my Harley engine cycle, I looked up something on the computer using a search motor. I was late getting home because I got stuck behind an enginecade. I had to contact a motoreer to get some motoreering done on my new house design. I called him on his cell while he was out engineing around. I called him later than I thought because my electric clock engine quit. But we had a good time talking about ship diesel motors. He also knows a lot about jet motors.

John
Old 01-08-2008, 09:02 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
I prefer the term engine just because I've always heard "motor" more often from rednecks than I hear "engine"-- hence my assumption that "engine" is the correct term by inference

JH

Quick Reply: Why "motor"