General Diesel Discussion Talk about general diesel engines (theory, etc.) If it's about diesel, and it doesn't fit anywhere else, then put it right in here.

Why does a 1/2 ton pickup haul mort than 1/2 ton?

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2007, 07:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
don't you still have to license your truck according to the max weight??? if so that f350 better be licensed for at least 7 ton.
Old 05-29-2007, 08:05 PM
JAX

I believe the 6K payload capacity of the new ford is for the F450. That's what they show in that stupid commercial anyway.
Old 05-29-2007, 11:17 PM

Received 1,048 Likes on 770 Posts
So what I'm getting here is that pickup load ratings are just like Sears Horsepower.

That clears up a lot.

Edwin
Old 05-30-2007, 06:46 PM
Adminstrator-ess

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Well, sorta - but the other way around.
Old 05-31-2007, 01:01 AM
Banned

It's old school ratings. A 1/2 ton truck means that it can carry 1/2 ton in the bed. 3/4 ton means 3/4 ton in the bed etc. That was back in the old days though.
Old 05-31-2007, 06:44 AM

none of the 1/2 tons i have owned have liked 1/2 ton in the bed. they have all sagged badly. 70s through 82 models.
Old 05-31-2007, 08:46 AM

It seems to me that rear axle bearings, spring packs, and tire size, is what would have determind load capacity and rating more than any thing else

1/2 ton used not much more than a passenger car rearend using roller bearings at the rear corner's, and light duty springs and typical 15" wheels

3/4 ton used full floating axles, using 2 tapered roller bearings at each rear wheel, heavy duty spring packs, and 16" wheels

1 ton trucks used much bigger flull floating rear axles with much bigger tapered roller bearings and usualy 4 tires on the rear (2 per corner) 16" wheels.

Most all trucks used 8 foot beds some used flat beds, so how much weight can you put in an 8 foot bed?

So why does a 1/2 ton pull or cary more than a 1000 lbs mostly because people tend to over load there trucks if they can, without thinking about what can break or the potental dammage.

With the introduction of tires that have different load rating many people use a 15 inch tire with the highest load rating on 1/2 ton trucks and figure that it will up there load capacity. (it does but at the cost of axle shafts and bearings)

Just my .02 worth
Old 05-31-2007, 11:40 AM
JAX

Originally Posted by Wv7o
It seems to me that rear axle bearings, spring packs, and tire size, is what would have determind load capacity and rating more than any thing else

1/2 ton used not much more than a passenger car rearend using roller bearings at the rear corner's, and light duty springs and typical 15" wheels

With the introduction of tires that have different load rating many people use a 15 inch tire with the highest load rating on 1/2 ton trucks and figure that it will up there load capacity. (it does but at the cost of axle shafts and bearings)

Just my .02 worth
I know that GM and Chevrolet had different axles for their passenger cars and trucks. This is why you have the 12 bolt for cars and the 12 bolt for trucks. The internals of these axles are different as even the carriers are not interchangeable. Also the 12 bolt for trucks used bigger bearings at the end of the axle tubes.

Also, to the best of my knowledge, Ford didn't use the 9" rear for passenger vehicles very often at all. This was the dominant rear axle for Fords 1/2 ton pickups for a long, long time. The difference between the 9" and the 8.8" or any of the other passenger car axles are night and day, just ask any drag racer.

As far as Dodge goes, the 9.25" that (I believe) is still used in the 1/2 ton truck line was never used in any passenger vehicle either. 9.25 inches obviously referrs to the diameter of the ring gear and that is quite large for a 1/2 ton truck, by anyones standards.

So, not trying to be arguementative here, just trying to point out some facts. The "Big 3" looked at the wieght ratings for their cars and 1/2 ton trucks quite differently, and used different axles for different applications.
Old 05-31-2007, 03:00 PM
DTR's 'Wrench thrower...' And he aims for the gusto...

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
1/2 and 3/4 are just simple rating systems. Old Jeeps used to be considered 1/4 ton.

They could be style "A" and style "B" and make about as much sense. And a half ton will not break just because it has 1,100 lbs instead of 1,000. A vehicle has to be able carry it's rated load in a safe manner over rough roads. So, under smooth conditions on level ground you can easily double the rated load and be fine. A ton in a half ton and 2 tons in a 3/4 are common without problems. Just don't go down steep mountain passes or fast on rough roads. Common sense.

Probably the best way to look at it is just that the 3/4 is heavier duty than the 1/2. Larger, full floating axle, bigger brakes, stiffer springs. The 3/4 is always going to be better for towing, hauling anything heavy, and for a high or heavy camper. The 1/2 is best as a grocery getter, or 4 wheeling with it's better articulation, or for use with a camper shell. Light runs to the hardware store or just towing a ski boat. It will be lighter and may get better mileage, uses cheaper tires.

Just a general heavier vs lighter duty comparison. Most times the 1/2 ton is just fine. I got the 3/4 because I wanted the CTD and the 1 ton is the same truck with overloads. The 1/2 ton would do 90% of what I do, but it has smaller brakes and lighter springs and I don't want those for towing. Plus no CTD option. Heavy duty is good, but it doesn't have to be way heavier duty than you'll ever need.

Wetspirit
Old 05-31-2007, 06:26 PM

I had a f 150 94 or 95, and a 97 ram 1500, anything over 1500lbs and it was squating bad. I had 2700lbs in the bed and the tires were up in the fender wells.

My friend has one of them f 450s, well he had to put air bags on it to stop it from squatting. With his car trailer on empty 6700lbs it would look like it had a leveling kit on it. One car and dowm she went so that commercial is bs.
Old 05-31-2007, 06:41 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by bamataco1
These designations 1/2 ton 3/4 ton and 1 ton are all very old. Originally 1/2 ton trucks only were capable of hauling 1/2 ton. But after a while the truck companies got into a weight race,of one ups man ship. So these designations aren't correct any more.
Exactly. Like most things like why clocks run clockwise, there's a reason that is old and outdated to explain a present reality.

You used to buy a truck based on hauling capacity, and they were marketed as such. They created marketing classes based on the actual capacity: half ton, 3/4 ton, and a full ton.

As the one-upmanship played out over the years, the actual capacities increased substantially, but the marketing terms still stuck.

Hence, my "3/4" ton 2500 actually has a payload capacity of a full ton (8800 GVWR minus 6800 curb weight). Duallies are much higher.

Always keep in mind that many things that don't make sense today usually did at one point in the past, and while times change, often our language and culture do not.

For example, why do we say "the whole nine yards?" In WW2, .50 cal ammo was packaged in 27-foot chains stuffed into an ammo can. Hence, if you used all your ammo on an enemy plane, you "gave him the whole nine yards".

There are lots of things like this...

Justin
Old 05-31-2007, 11:14 PM

the ratings are based on safety...brakes, springs, wheels, tires, axle shafts, gears. ..
Old 05-31-2007, 11:17 PM

Originally Posted by Wetspirit
1/2 and 3/4 are just simple rating systems. Old Jeeps used to be considered 1/4 ton.

They could be style "A" and style "B" and make about as much sense. And a half ton will not break just because it has 1,100 lbs instead of 1,000. A vehicle has to be able carry it's rated load in a safe manner over rough roads. So, under smooth conditions on level ground you can easily double the rated load and be fine. A ton in a half ton and 2 tons in a 3/4 are common without problems. Just don't go down steep mountain passes or fast on rough roads. Common sense.

Probably the best way to look at it is just that the 3/4 is heavier duty than the 1/2. Larger, full floating axle, bigger brakes, stiffer springs. The 3/4 is always going to be better for towing, hauling anything heavy, and for a high or heavy camper. The 1/2 is best as a grocery getter, or 4 wheeling with it's better articulation, or for use with a camper shell. Light runs to the hardware store or just towing a ski boat. It will be lighter and may get better mileage, uses cheaper tires.

Just a general heavier vs lighter duty comparison. Most times the 1/2 ton is just fine. I got the 3/4 because I wanted the CTD and the 1 ton is the same truck with overloads. The 1/2 ton would do 90% of what I do, but it has smaller brakes and lighter springs and I don't want those for towing. Plus no CTD option. Heavy duty is good, but it doesn't have to be way heavier duty than you'll ever need.

Wetspirit
i agree...if the 1/2 tons had a diesel i wouldnt have a truck this big...can't wait for the mini dmax, cummins and mini powerstroke to get into the 1/2 tons...im gonna have to do some serious shopping...as of right now I'd have to go with a lil v6 dmax GMC
Old 06-01-2007, 12:00 AM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I've carried 4000# of 80# sacrete in my GMC 2500. Was pushy though.
Old 06-01-2007, 02:00 AM

Jax-- Do I think you are being arguementative? No way

It's good that people question what others post, and or respond differently or add to information ect.

The info you pointed out is good info that I did not post, I think It goes along nicely with what I did say, or was trying to say.

The exchange of information and good old chit chat is part of what makes this site worth coming to.

Westspirit makes a good point--Just a general heavier vs lighter duty comparison. Most times the 1/2 ton is just fine. I got the 3/4 because I wanted the CTD and the 1 ton is the same truck with overloads. The 1/2 ton would do 90% of what I do, but it has smaller brakes and lighter springs and I don't want those for towing. Plus no CTD option. Heavy duty is good, but it doesn't have to be way heavier duty than you'll ever need.

Quick Reply: Why does a 1/2 ton pickup haul mort than 1/2 ton?