General Diesel Discussion Talk about general diesel engines (theory, etc.) If it's about diesel, and it doesn't fit anywhere else, then put it right in here.

Whats best for towing, how R the new automatic trans?

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2004, 11:32 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Whats best for towing, how R the new automatic trans?

I know when I bought my 95 cummins, that the 5 speed was the only way to go and they had trouble with the aumomatic trans.

I also know they have cleared up those same problems.

Whats best today, the 6 speed manual or the auto and what considerations do I eed to make. I have a camper, 32 race trailer that I dont haul all that much and will haul a lot of crap when I make the move to Idaho, lots of trees long distance and more.

Is the dually the best way to go with a 6 speed manual, or will an auto be fine or even the single axle truck, which look better.

Dave
Old 11-23-2004, 07:30 PM

There are 1000's of posts out there, try the search you'll find tons of info. Welcome to DTR also.
Old 11-24-2004, 11:15 PM
DTR's 'Wrench thrower...' And he aims for the gusto...

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
There is no absolute best and noone can pick what's best for you. Both trannys are very good. It's a matter of personal preference. Just decide which one would be the easiest to live with and best suited to your driving style. It's up to you, it's your truck, you'll be the one behind the wheel.

Wetspirit
Old 11-24-2004, 11:44 PM

I love my truck....but if I had it to do over I would buy the manual. More options for power ups, exhaust brake if you want one. And that zero throttle launch....man I wish I had a manual!!!!
OK really, I also like the idea of the right gear for the right time, by my choice, not some middle of the road enginered shift point.
Besides rowing the gears is fun
Old 11-25-2004, 10:57 AM

Marcus, thanks for the imput that was the old complaint as well and even the complaint with my 5 speed, just needed one more gear to help out.

I just cant decide if I want the black one or red one. I tow(at times) a 32 foot red race trailer and my LANCE, that both match a red truck well. My current trruck is red. But the black would also go well. But hard to keep clean on a dirt road house.

MANNNNNN, SO CONFUSED.

Dave
Old 11-28-2004, 11:08 PM

I've got a 96 CTD with AT, and after installing a BD valve body, TD, and pressureloc to hold the AT line pressure high it works great! I had to rebuild the AT anyway, because the stock TC failed at 49K, so the upgrades didn't cost that much more than rebuilding the AT back to stock. I tow a 12K 5er that is 12' tall many miles each year all over the west and across the plains from Indiana to there. I like the AT because it will not allow you to lug the engine, which is the most damaging treatment given any engine.
Old 11-29-2004, 12:11 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
The 5600 six-speed is tough to beat for brute strength, but it's still a manual transmission designed with 80 year old technology.

For me, it's simple and works well. I like the economy I get and control I have.

The auto in stock form isn't nearly as strong, but it's very convenient and enhances driver control in certain situations.

A full aftermarket auto is the ultimate, but that's not really a fair comparison. I went with the 5600 in part because because it only needs a clutch to hold big power (about $1000) compared to a full tilt auto trans ($4500+), and the autos had a smaller turbo on my year truck.

Justin
Old 11-29-2004, 12:32 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
As much flack as the dodge auto's take, I'm happy with mine. Granted I typically don't tow more than about 7k lbs, it has worked beautifully. It does not have the problem that you wish you had one more gear - at least not with the 3.73 ratio I have. I was doing 70-75mph in OD with 7k lbs recently and was not revving too high at all. I also don't like shifting when I'm trying to eat and drive at the same time, or in rush hour traffic. The only reason I would have liked to have gotten the 6speed is because it's cheap to upgrade just the clutch if you're going to add a lot of power. I'm so jealous of those guys that just throw a big clutch in and mod away! However, as Hohn points out, aftermarket auto's are sweet, and eventually that's where I'll be. Pay to play, and in this case, you pay for the convenience of not shifting. The autos vs sticks stock for stock are a bit quicker accelleration wise as well.