General Diesel Discussion Talk about general diesel engines (theory, etc.) If it's about diesel, and it doesn't fit anywhere else, then put it right in here.

Whats the best state to buy a used Dodge?

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2008, 10:37 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2001 2500 4wd-94K

Texas was where I got mine, super clean, low miles
94K-$15.5 but it's early still good runner so far I have a few upgrades planned. Just do your homework, and look them over carefully.
Old 04-08-2008, 02:56 PM

Relaxed, but wide awake and alert................
Old 04-09-2008, 02:47 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
The state of denial.

(e.g. "Honey, I just know we can make that $850 payment")
Old 04-09-2008, 03:28 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by leeboy
Thinking of going from 1999 to 2001 or newer....i heard texas was a good place to buy from....Any one have any ideas on this?
Texas! More of them and salt/rust free!
Do an Auto Trader Search w/i 300 miles of Dallas (zip-75201) and read all day. Gets you into Ok and AR but away from the ocean!
Stay with one owner (do Carfax) and stay away from oil rig Co CTD's and you'll be golden! Lower dealer prices and more selection in the rural areas!
JMO.

RJ
Old 04-10-2008, 10:23 AM

2003 had lift pump problems too, plus theirs is in the tank. Gen 2 is OK with a FP gauge (a good idea for all of them).
Gen 1 ride harsher and rattle more.
2002 & 1.5 may be the sweet spot for price/performance. They are loud and many consider that a feature.
Gen 3 has more HP & torque, always good. 2003 are reasonable.
Old 04-10-2008, 11:42 AM

here's a super deal on a 2005 Dodge 3500 Dually 4x4 Cummins 6spd $21,500 obo (owasso) Tulsa, OK.
ad is only a few hours old...http://tulsa.craigslist.org/car/636831563.html

if I didn't already have a 12valve... and wanted a newer model. I'd be all over this deal.

if anyone is truly interested.... I will help with this transaction...
--------------
My pride and joy is up for sale. 2005 dodge ram 3500 4x4 It has everything you might want. All synthetic lubricants. 6 speed transmission (shifts very nice) AFE stage 3 cold air intake. Bully dog Triple dog with outlook Monitor. Custom aluminum wheels. B&W turnover Gooseneck Hitch Trailer brake Controller. New front brakes rotors and ball joints at 100k. Axles and driveline serviced at 115K Dodge vent visors. Upgraded exhaust manifold. 4 inch mandrel exhaust with 5 inch stacks. Receiver hitch with 6 and 7 pin plugs on bumper. Snow plow available at extra cost. Installed but never used. 143,000 highway miles. This is a responsibly driven and maintained vehicle. Serious inquiries only please. No trades. Call me with questions or to schedule a time to see the truck. $21,500 or best offer Thanks Ross 918 638-4562

Old 04-10-2008, 03:41 PM

Originally Posted by 2500
hope no one thinks I was bashing 24valve CTD's, as that's not the case. loads of 24v folks have gone 200k+ miles with zero issues. but loads have not and have been stranded multiple times on side of the road.

just that if given a choice like someone considering what to buy. assuming both trucks are in similar condition and same $$. hands down the better choice is a 12valve.
It is MUCH harder to find a 12V with low miles and in great shape; ussually they have some rust (little to a lot) and although the engine may be great the rest of the truck will cost more to bring up to snuff than the $1G cost of a new VP44. Trust me I looked.

I got my '01.5 with 26K (that's right only 26K miles) and it's in showroom condition and I payed $21.5K for it in July '07. The thing is practically new and since then I've added the mods below and it's got like 36K miles on it now. It drives tight, steers great, everything works, brakes very well, no rattles, quarks, or issues. I was looking for a 12V but couldn't find one worth selling my truck for to get; even the 12V trucks with low miles (and by that I mean around 100K or lower) look like they've been beat up and drive with a loose and less than desireable chassis and brake feel.

The way I see it is that hopefully the FASS will extend the VP's life for a long time; the replacement VP at around $1K over the span of say 150 to 200K miles is a small percentage of the overal service cost of operations if the truck starts out at almost new shape...and if I wanted to I could always go p-pump or swap a 12V later because the chassis, brakes, and everything else would be in better shape compared to that of a 12V truck in almost every case with exception to the absolute rarity.

Although I do like the 12V engine for it's fuel pump and mechanical simplicity; I really love the electronic tunability, grunt, and presence plus the sound of the 24V, it's louder and sounds like a diesel truck should...the 12V sounds sweet also just more of a rattly purr than the big body rattle and shake of the 24V.
Old 04-10-2008, 08:02 PM

sooo true.. that's why low mileage 12v are bringing same $$ as much newer CTD. your 24v sure sounds like a sweet one!

lucked out and found mine local with no rust, 96k miles for $10,500.
passed on a 98 12v w/74k miles for $13k because it wasn't a 4x4. that was one year ago, now that same low mileage 98 12v are selling for $18k range.

Originally Posted by Sunir
It is MUCH harder to find a 12V with low miles and in great shape; ussually they have some rust (little to a lot) and although the engine may be great the rest of the truck will cost more to bring up to snuff than the $1G cost of a new VP44. Trust me I looked.
Old 04-10-2008, 10:37 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by c-hawk
Anywhere down south should be good... just make sure it wasn't in a flood.

I bought my 01 from florida back in 05. It was super clean. The exhaust manifold wasn't even rusted. LOL.

I don't think those of us that see road salt in the winters realize how much it does to a truck until you see one that has never encountered it. I bought our excursion from PA, because it was the exact truck i wanted... but in hindsight i wish i would have been patient and found one from down south.

Chris
Ain't that the truth! My truck has rusted the manifold more this ONE winter in Chicago than it did in all the previous 5 winters combined! My manifold looked pretty good until I brought my truck to the Salt Capital.
Old 04-12-2008, 06:42 AM

Look in Southern California. As long as you aren't right at the beach you won't find any rust. It was only 5 months or so ago I saw a 98 12 valve that was **** with 60k on the clock. My 97 with almost 300k is perfect except for the driver seat (I'm a fat guy) and could use new carpet. I'm not selling it. No rust no dents they are around here. They don't get much abuse cruising the malls.
Old 05-07-2008, 04:31 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by TreeFarm
Back to where to buy and a cautionary tale.

In the mid 90's, I ran into a guy from Detroit down in Florida for a little winter boating. He had a business buying used vehicles in Michigan and shipping them to wholesale buyers in Florida. He said he made from $1,500 to $3,000 on each vehicle he shipped south. He also said the biggest demand was for pickup trucks.

So, be careful and look closely at what you are buying. That "rust free" truck just might have spent the first part of its life in the rust belt.
Yeah really. I sold my wife's S15 Jimmy, new GM paint job because the paint was peeling off of it and rust coming out from behind the fender flares. It was 5 yrs old and we had just moved to Albuquerque from Chicago. Guy from Minnesota wanted a clean southern truck before moving back to Minneapolis.
(His fault that he never even looked under the truck, just asked where it ws parked mostly and looked for oil spots on the driveway)
Old 05-07-2008, 04:39 PM

Okla is a great place... recently on craigslist a 2003 2500 w/175k miles, 6sp 2wd, it was a work truck and showed minor dents, etc.

plain interior with no options... $9900 was the cheapest I've seen a CR truck. give a call it might still be there...
http://tulsa.craigslist.org/car/650552304.html

was going to buy it, but after test driving it...... drove real nice... pulled great. zero issues... an excellent truck!!!

decided my 97 12v is a better truck
Old 05-07-2008, 05:44 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Check out Dave Smith in Kellogg, ID. Thats where I got my last truck a used '03. Plus they are close to you in B.C. They are the biggest Dodge dealer in the US.
Old 05-08-2008, 10:36 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Texas picking up my 06 4x4 slt 3500 Qc drw paid 23k includes ttl and it has 37k miles
Old 05-12-2008, 02:50 PM

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by yanertrivr
Texas was where I got mine, super clean, low miles
94K-$15.5 but it's early still good runner so far I have a few upgrades planned. Just do your homework, and look them over carefully.
Originally Posted by RowJ
Texas! More of them and salt/rust free!
Do an Auto Trader Search w/i 300 miles of Dallas (zip-75201) and read all day. Gets you into Ok and AR but away from the ocean!
Stay with one owner (do Carfax) and stay away from oil rig Co CTD's and you'll be golden! Lower dealer prices and more selection in the rural areas!JMO.RJ
Yes, and yes. Also keep in mind that parts of TX will flood twice a year. Many vehicles are then dried out and sold to dealers at auction without disclosure. The problems are intermittant, overlapping, and difficult to diagnose. Some of these vehicles are CTDs.

Quick Reply: Whats the best state to buy a used Dodge?