General Diesel Discussion Talk about general diesel engines (theory, etc.) If it's about diesel, and it doesn't fit anywhere else, then put it right in here.

What would you recommend for a older diesel.

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2007, 06:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What would you recommend for a older diesel.

If you had to get a diesel truck for under 12K what would it be? It would be a farm truck and a DD, so it has to have power and be durable. I am thinking either an old Ford or an old dodge. Not that it matters but I drive an old Ford f150 (1996 4.9L) and like it, but want a diesel.
Old 02-14-2007, 07:03 PM

Location: My head lays down in Murrieta, but the day light hours are spent in San Diego, Ca.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by MTGunNut
If you had to get a diesel truck for under 12K what would it be? It would be a farm truck and a DD, so it has to have power and be durable. I am thinking either an old Ford or an old dodge. Not that it matters but I drive an old Ford f150 (1996 4.9L) and like it, but want a diesel.
Ford 7.3 powerstrokes where pretty hearty motors. Not a bad work horse motor. the tranny on the other hand...........lets just say we hav a few '99 and 2000 f450 and f550's, and we've put in at least a half a dozen ford blackbox trannys in them. I'd go with and older dodge. Trannys are also a little weak but they are still better than the fords. If you go with manual, either the ford or dodge will be ok. don't go to old with the ford though, the pre-powerstroke 6.9's have NO power. If it was me....dodge cummins.... just my 2 bits
Old 02-14-2007, 07:11 PM

I was really wanting a stick. Better, IMHO.
Old 02-14-2007, 07:19 PM

Location: My head lays down in Murrieta, but the day light hours are spent in San Diego, Ca.
than either or. i do believe the dodge NV4500 5 speed is a better tranny than fords........heck I'm not even sure what it is. But for what u r doing i don't think it'll matter. Now which truck, other than drivetrain, is more reliable? I'd vote dodge. Well actually i'd vote chevy. but chevys 6.2 and 6.5 turbo diesels are not too powerfull. but the 6.5 turbo diesel isn't really THAT bad. heck intill two years ago thats the motor GM has been puttin into the humvees. In fact all of our service men and women are driving humvees with them. yeah there're on the weak side, but if you keep them cool there're realiable.
Old 02-14-2007, 08:55 PM
DTR question asker

Originally Posted by MTGunNut
I'd go with a 1st or 2nd gen Dodge... I got my 3500 for $6,100, I've spent more than I wanted to because my fuel shutoff solenoid died, and it looks that my tranny is gonna be dead pretty soon. But, it'll still probably about $8000 and from then on it'll be good to go.

I will say that some of those 7.3L Fords just keep going and going... my friend has a pretty nice one, and he hasn't had much trouble with it.
Old 02-14-2007, 09:20 PM

is there anything wrong with the dodges?
Old 02-14-2007, 09:21 PM

Well actually i'd vote chevy. but chevys 6.2 and 6.5 turbo diesels are not too powerfull. but the 6.5 turbo diesel isn't really THAT bad. heck intill two years ago thats the motor GM has been puttin into the humvees. In fact all of our service men and women are driving humvees with them. yeah there're on the weak side, but if you keep them cool there're realiable.
I am in the Army right now as a diesel mechanic and the 6.5 Turbo in the HMMWV is JUNK. Most of them only get about 10,000 miles in them before they crap out and it sucks replacing them. The 6.2 in the older HMMWV are the ones you want but a little under powered but are going strong in some HMMWV dated to 87 with no leaks or problems, but glow plugs.
Old 02-14-2007, 09:53 PM

Id avoid the chevy 6.2L as they are modified 350 blocks and prone to cracking heads. Luckily mine never cracked the head but it did make enough pressure in the system to break 2 radiators instead. As for any other Id go go for a dodge, ford, and then a GM 6.5L in that order
Old 02-14-2007, 10:00 PM

Originally Posted by bdewey
I am in the Army right now as a diesel mechanic and the 6.5 Turbo in the HMMWV is JUNK. Most of them only get about 10,000 miles in them before they crap out and it sucks replacing them. The 6.2 in the older HMMWV are the ones you want but a little under powered but are going strong in some HMMWV dated to 87 with no leaks or problems, but glow plugs.
well the main problem with the 6.5 is HEAT. Someone can fix those problems and have a decent motor. but it takes money and time. first thing you need to do is put on a bigger water pump. and if it an older motor, mount a dual thermostat system. then add a turbo master wastegate control, marine injectors, a new PMD or is it a PDM, a marine injection pump and maybe an aftercooler. you'll get towards 275 hp and 550 lbs. not much consertering the amount of money you have to throw at it. but my point is that the 6.5 can be built into a decent motor. throw the same amount ofmoney at a cummins.... and WHOA!!!!! now that would bw COOL!!!!!
Old 02-14-2007, 10:03 PM

Originally Posted by fbx22
Id avoid the chevy 6.2L as they are modified 350 blocks and prone to cracking heads. Luckily mine never cracked the head but it did make enough pressure in the system to break 2 radiators instead. As for any other Id go go for a dodge, ford, and then a GM 6.5L in that order
actually, no 6.5's are not modified 350 blocks. the 6.5 is a much bigger casting. heck research it. detriot diesel help design it for gm back when detriot was owned be gm. but yes i agree the cummins is light years better.
Old 02-14-2007, 10:07 PM

you know i wasn't paying attention. yousay the 6.2..... the early 6.2's were modified gassers. then detroit got involved and re designed it. that lasted for a few years, then gm wanted a turbo to compete with furd and cummins. so the 6.5 td was born. the later 6.2 and the 6.5 were almost idenical. same type of block and head design and using a similar injection pump.
Old 02-14-2007, 10:11 PM
Banned

Smile

I might be out on the dates a little but you get the point.

Dodge 1988 to 2007 5.9lCummins

Ford 1986 6.9l and 7.3l
1987 6.9l and 7.3l
1988 not sure if the still made the 6.9l but they still had the 7.3l
1989 7.3l
1990 7.3l
1991 7.3l
1992 7.3l with turbo
1993 7.3l with turbo
1994 7.3l with turbo
1995 to 2003 7.3l Powerstroke

The early fords 6.9l and 7.3l where dogs and in no way could keep up with a cummins, if your looking to haul something. But for a farm truck that's all you might need.
Just my humble opinion. Good luck hunting.
Old 02-14-2007, 10:13 PM

Frankley, I have to ask this of you as you really don't say what you want it for. What's the use you anticiapate? I will say if you want a diesel for the sake of owning a diesel it's an expensive time for that. If you want a relaible, good general use truck - you already have that with the old I-6 Ford. Even though it won't get the mileage of a Cummins, and is not as wonderful ear music when running, that old Ford I-6 is still a sought after engine as it's very durable.

A few years back I was $$$ ahead of most of my gas-driving friends in terms of operating costs, now that diesel has gone well above the price of gas, and shows no signs of comming back down , it's almost a wash. That and the fact that parts like tires, brakes, and ball joints for this Heavy Duty truck prove that owning one of these rigs is expensive - no matter what else is said.

Good luck with your decision.
Old 02-14-2007, 11:00 PM

Frankly, I want a diesel. I want a dead reliable truck. I need to tow, haul, camp, go anywhere, and I dont what to trade my soul just to afford a new truck. I have a 1996 ford f150 (ranchmobile) and I share a Jeep with my parents. I have always DREAMED of a diesel. I want to know whatever engine I get. It will be my "expiriement diesel". I want to do a biodiesel and WVO conversion. Diesel IS the future.
So, the way I am seeing it the dodge has a Killer engine, suitable transmission, and a bad body.(from what I hear). The ford is Good engine, suitable tranny, and a decent body.
I am good with engines. Not to toot my horn, but I think I have some abilities in the automotive. I actually am considering a career in the diesel field. Anyway so what I am trying to say is that a CUMMINS in a ford is not out of reach.

Thank you.
Old 02-15-2007, 08:41 AM
Administrator

Received 172 Likes on 130 Posts
I ended up with a 97 12V CTD.

To me, it is the best of all worlds.......

BTW, the GM 6.2 was never a modified gasser, the 5.7 was.

Quick Reply: What would you recommend for a older diesel.