General Diesel Discussion Talk about general diesel engines (theory, etc.) If it's about diesel, and it doesn't fit anywhere else, then put it right in here.

What do fords and chevys run stock?

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2004, 07:08 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

On a dragstrip, what do the new fords and chevys run STONE stock? Please post if you've seen one run, have run one, or know someone (that you trust to tell the truth) that ran one. If you can, include year of truck, 2 or 4 door, 2wd or 4wd, gear ratio if known, etc.

Everyone keeps saying they're faster than our trucks when stock, and I'm not so sure that's true. Not sure it's not true either...

The 04.5 2500 quadcab SB 4X4 auto I had ran a 16.47 at 80 mph stone stock. This was in 4wd for traction. I find it hard to imagine either competing diesel doing much better, equivalently optioned.
Old 11-21-2004, 10:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
They run right around the high 16 mark on average.
Old 11-23-2004, 03:14 AM

I have read here, or TDR, that a stock Ford has about a truck lenght on our Dodges. I believe the same for the Dmax. Now towing, that is another story. I think we are all about the same empty, we just make power in different areas. The V-8's are a different beast then our 6's, faster empty, but not as much torque where it counts.

I did drive my friends new 05 (03 bought back) Ford 6.0, not really impressed. And it was not going to spin any tires on dry pavement. I have driven four of the 6.0's, three barely made it on to the e-way (03's). The 05 was smooth, but none of the power I keep hearing about? I hear the Ford guys brag about how fast these 6.0's are (stock). Maybe fast to get to a service bay? I don't know, chip a 6.0? I would be afraid to chip a 6.0 with all of the apparent engineering problems with it. I figure my little in-line 6 is putting down around 450+ hp to the ground, I can't see a 6.0 doing this for very long without peeing oil or fuel all over itself. Now a Duramax, YES, with some serious tranny upgrades, a Dmax can run pretty hard, and clean a few Cummins clocks to boot.

Stock to stock, I would say we are about equal in the speed dept.

Towing, longevity and the least mechanical problems, the Cummins SHINES.

Mike
Old 11-23-2004, 09:59 AM

I know a guy who had a Duramax the first few years it came out. He's had quite a bit go wrong with the tranny. Might even have been replaced once or twice if I do recall. Nothing really wrong with a Duracr*p I suppose but all in all Cummins still reins supreme. And of course, when modded, a cummins still holds its own in comparison to the rest. Nothing to be ashamed of here fer sure
Old 11-23-2004, 10:14 AM

Re: What do fords and chevys run stock?

Right behind all the Dodge's.
Old 11-23-2004, 08:26 PM

Mine Dodge runs 17.06 at 79mph. i think it can do better if i worked at it a little. that is leaving from about 1000 rpm, so basically at idle and not spooling the turbo. My buddy has a F250 4X4 with a chip and it runs mid 16s.
Old 11-23-2004, 10:01 PM

i had test drove a early durmax. dunno what the deal was but she was pretty sad in the performance department. i could slam the pedal down to the floor and she just accelerated at a steady rate , couldnt get a jump outa he rfor nuttin. But im sure there was just something wrong with it
Old 11-24-2004, 01:00 PM

ran an 03 dura-max first of the year. 1/8 mi. 10.866 to my 9.65 in my 90 ctd.
Old 11-24-2004, 07:12 PM

umm they're both a lil quicker stock mainly cause they give up about 1000lbs (ford) and almost 2000lbs (chev) 2ndly their converter stall speeds are higher and closer matched to their high rpm torque peeks

thats the only reason
Old 11-24-2004, 08:37 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'd say the durmax is the fastest stock.There's one at the local dragstrip with just a good tuner puttin down 410HP at the rear wheels.

I'd say yeah the 6.0 PSD is next and then the Cummins, but I don't how fast the new 600 HOs are.I'd say their all pretty close but I think the Durmax is the Drag King.
Old 11-25-2004, 02:06 PM

My friends 04 ran 16.1 stock and with a strait pipe it went 15.7. This was a 4wd extended cab short bed and it was also in 4wd at the time.
Old 11-25-2004, 04:35 PM

My truck ran a 10.769(2wdf launch spinning tires) at the 1/8th with just the fuel plate, and ive ran a d-max, and a 6.0l powerstroke. I derfinatley think the 6.0l powerstroke is a little faster than the D-Max, but id WAY rather have a d-max than the powerstroke. The duramax was behind me, and we both kicked on them and i just started pulling away from him pretty good. The 6.0l was in front of me, and i had to back out of it a little in 3rd to keep from pushing him along, but they are pretty quick. I raced both these with just a fuel plate. Didnt have the GSK yet. Now that i have the GSK, i cant wait to get a better converter in and run in the 1/8th, and 1/4 miles . Once i got beside a new stock automatic dodge, and i revved it up a little, but i wasnt expecting him to kick on it(we were at a red light), but he hammered on it, and he was gone! That thing was pretty quick. I probably could have got him if id been ready, but they are no sluches for sure. Dad thinks those V-8 diesels are a lot quicker than a cummins, but im here to tell him they aint! I ought to go test drive a new dodge, while he goes and gets a new ford, and we should line them up at a light, and see what happens. It would be close. I-6's forever .

Eric
Old 11-25-2004, 10:23 PM

Those fuel plates really do make a difference.

Bud of mine has 97 CTD 3500 flatbed 4X4 5 speed.He has the fuel turned up (cranked the start screw a little and moved the plate al ittle with a straight piped exhuast) and he runs with my friends 02 Ford PSD 3500 flatbed 4X4 6 speed with a 60Hp single stage chip and straight piped exhaust up to about 85 and his gearing runs out.
Old 11-25-2004, 10:32 PM

Yep. they start defueling at about 2400rpm's stock, and im guessing he has 4:10's which would make it hard to go very fast before running out of rpm's. Now what he needs is a 3K RPM Governor Spring Kit. He will be able to pull up a LOT higher in the rpm's then, and probably out run the PSD even worse Mine will pull to about 3200rpm's fairly quick if i hold a gear and dont let it shift. He will be able to wind each gear tighter too probably, which will also make him faster i imagine.

Eric
Old 11-26-2004, 11:27 AM

He brought the truck with the fuel turned up and didn't even know anything about that type of stuff.

When he got it he said it smokes alot and said the fuel was turned up and when he had the fuel filter changed he asked about and sure enough it's been tweeked alittle but nothin to major.

Quick Reply: What do fords and chevys run stock?