General Diesel Discussion Talk about general diesel engines (theory, etc.) If it's about diesel, and it doesn't fit anywhere else, then put it right in here.

Warn your wife to pay attention at the gas pump !!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2009, 04:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Warn your wife to pay attention at the gas pump !!!

I was filling up my car at a local BP station. Next to me there was a nice lady filling up a 2yo black Chevy, when done, she gets in, starts the trucks and drives away. As soon as she started engine I noticed immediately...it was a Duramax, and she just ended filling at the GAS pump !!!

I flagged her down immediately and told her she should shut it off right away. She said she filled it up completely, and she thought it was diesel since the pump handle was green (it's a BP station). She wasn't too happy about it, and she was going to call the husband, but I am sure both will be happier to just suck all the gas out and change the filters instead of replacing a new Duramax....

Warn your wife and children to be sure the pump says DIESEL on it, not just by the pump handle color.
Old 05-09-2009, 04:46 PM

I am sure that the BP station would have some liability for this, this is why Diesel handles are green...it was a mis-marked product they were selling to the public...
Old 05-09-2009, 04:47 PM

get hold of a California lawyer, being stupid and not paying attention will still get you money in our courts here...
Old 05-09-2009, 05:06 PM

Good job flaggin her down man most people would have let it go nice to see theres still good people out there

My buddy owns a few work trucks and his guys have called me a few times askin me to come pump them out and not tell him haha
Old 05-09-2009, 05:14 PM

My wife won't/doesn't want to drive my truck!! Last time she did, this very same thing happened-- in California on a road trip. I caught her pumping after she put in 17 gallons of unleaded. I had to syphon it all out-- filled up with diesel and off we went. No problems, but I never started it with gas in it. That was in my Ford--

Old 05-09-2009, 05:39 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
All the handles are Green at BP, People have to read the pump, that's not too hard is it???
Old 05-09-2009, 06:00 PM

Gas pumps are all green at BP, diesel are yellow and many other stations also.

Theses were gas only pumps, 3 choices 87,89,91 and not even E85, just plain ole gas, the diesel pumps were in another island with the truck section.

I don't know what she was thinking.
Old 05-09-2009, 07:18 PM

Good to ya for flaggin down the lady instead of watching her destroy the engine.

J.D.
Old 05-09-2009, 10:08 PM

u should of just ran the gas in the ford would of did a fav
Old 05-10-2009, 01:54 AM

Canada is yellow for diesel to....Sure made me look twice when I made my trip this winter...Once I forgot my reciept and went back and the woman at the counter said no diesel had been pumped at the island I was at...Syphoned some in a can and did a flash test, it burnt like diesel with no explosive whoomp so I was good to go...made me check twice at each pump after that.
Old 05-10-2009, 02:04 AM

Good thing my gal drives an '84 Mercedes 300D. She'll never put gas in my truck.
Old 05-10-2009, 07:11 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
They need a universal color for diesel. At BP its yellow at Hess its green, spare fuel cans are yellow. Make up your minds!
Old 05-10-2009, 07:23 AM

Green is close to the universal color. I've never understood why BP has to be difficult. That said, I've never filled up with gas at BP because the handle was green, but I have pulled up to pumps thinking they were diesel then cuss and drive on.

I have a friend that accidentally had his duramax filled with Gas and he didn't know and ran it. Didn't hurt it a bit. As soon as the gas hit the filter the truck died and refused to crank. He had to siphon it out and replace the filter before the truck would let him start it.
Old 05-10-2009, 12:44 PM

Originally Posted by AkitaSumo
I am sure that the BP station would have some liability for this, this is why Diesel handles are green...it was a mis-marked product they were selling to the public...
All BP pump handles for 87 octane are green. I guess they assume the consumer is smart enough to read the pump before filling up. Bad assumption.

My Uncle did the same thing a couple of months ago. He is a retired farmer from Iowa, go figure. I guess they don't have BP stations in Iowa.
Old 05-10-2009, 02:22 PM

Talk about confusing.I went to Davenport Iowa this spring and went to the iowa 80 truck stop to refuel. I noticed that the diesel was black handle and the gas was green. I did do a double-triple take and sure enough it was backwards from what I'm used to. Setting a guy up for failure I tell ya.

Quick Reply: Warn your wife to pay attention at the gas pump !!!