General Diesel Discussion Talk about general diesel engines (theory, etc.) If it's about diesel, and it doesn't fit anywhere else, then put it right in here.

VW TDI problums

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2010, 08:05 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
VW TDI problums

Ok I have a 06 jetta TDI and I am having a major problem with cold starts 14 above and it won't start it will barley start at 0 to 5 above when it is plugged in.

Glow plugs have been giving me trouble last summer. A tip of a glow plug actually broke off and the engine lite came on I was in a town that had a dealer they replaced the bad glow plug and put in a new glow plug timer. Car engine lite came on and it has been hard starting so I ordered new glow plugs here another glow plug tip broke off and ran threw the motor. (First plug that broke was cylinder 2 the second plug that broke was in #1)

Now the engine lite is off but the car starts hard glow plugs turn on when the door is opened so it is hard to judge the actual time that it takes for the plugs to preheat

Engine sounds ok when it is running but I am wondering if I couldn't have some valve damage and that is contributing to the starting problem

Any ideas. All I know is, If it has a glow plug or a timming belt it is a poor excuse for a diesel!!
Old 12-15-2010, 05:02 PM

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts
Glow plugs come on when door is opened? That don't make much sense. Are you sure it doesn't have a "wait to start" type deal (squiggley line) on the dash with the key "on" before starting? Every TDI I've seen, every diesel actually, has had that. I'm not familiar with that era TDI, but I have an 02 and feel your pain. I used to go through 1-4 plugs a year. Then I started putting dielectric grease inside the boot that snaps on the glow plug, which helped. Then the harness was getting too loose, so I re-wired the whole thing with a few relays, 10 gauge wire, and set-screw butt splices for connecting to the glow plug. Only had one go bad in 2 years now.

Might want to check out tdiclub.org or .com, they know whats up with those little PITA cars. Mine reacts well to additives for cold starts, white power service bottle. The glow plug tip in the cylinder doesn't sound good, although it's somewhat common with these cars.
Old 12-15-2010, 05:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Where you at, I have a Vag-com code scanner, and am in North Dakota.
Old 12-18-2010, 12:48 AM

Engine crank speed is also a factor. Your battery maybe getting weak or starter. Check for clean connections. Hook a jumper battery and see if it cranks faster and starts easier. Also might want to check with local parts store for free battery/starter draw check. Also make sure you have the proper oil in it......it should be 5w-30 syn and have been changed within the last 10,000 miles.
Old 12-18-2010, 08:39 PM

Starter battery and all connections are clean

I have no power going to the glow plugs checked amp draw on them and it is 0. Took the glow plugs back out and they all test good. I have no engine check light on which the dealer says eliminates a electrical problem in the system. E xcept I do have a electrical problem

Gorms. The glow plugs do come on when you open the door on the newer TDI's and I do have a glow plug light in the dash. Under normal winter weather you just get in and turn the key your lucky to see the glow plug light for 2 seconds and the car fires right up

Dizel smoke I do have 5-30synthetic oil with only 2K on it this is the first winter that I haven't ran 5-40 synthetic starter draw was like 103Ampes max

Purp I am close to Steele. I don't know if a scanner would help when there is no check engine lite
Old 12-18-2010, 10:26 PM

Not sure if changed but my '98 jetta tdi had a bad coolant sensor that wouldn't let the glow plugs lite up. I've picked up a few things on these cars since I've bought this one.
Old 12-18-2010, 11:36 PM

Originally Posted by Power Ram 250 C
Not sure if changed but my '98 jetta tdi had a bad coolant sensor that wouldn't let the glow plugs lite up. I've picked up a few things on these cars since I've bought this one.
I don't know if I have a coolent sensor or not. I would think there would be but what 2 VW dealers told me is if any sensor is bad the engine lite will come on. Seeing how it could sense 1 glow plug burned out it must be a fussy system. I haven't had any luck finding a service manual yet
Old 12-19-2010, 07:55 AM

You should go on tdiclub.com, and look up the list of TDI guru's in your state. It has been my experience that the dealerships are not too savy with the diesels. An experienced TDI mechanic should be able to directly answer your questions. You can also post these questions on their forum- they know their way around TDI's, like we know our way around CTD's.
Old 12-20-2010, 05:13 PM

How many miles on your TDI?

I'm wondering if the camshaft issue is causing your hard starts at those temps. When it does run, and warmed up, do you hear a popping sound in the exhaust? If so, that IS the cam failure.

IIRC, the BRM's have steel glow plugs, the BEW's got ceramics and had issues with the tips breaking off. Rarely, do you hear of steel glow plug tips breaking off.

Glow plug timer?...Controller. GP light coming on, when the door opens. Nope. Try again. This tells me that something is REALLY wrong. My '06 GP indicator only comes on with the key.

BTW...GP's and diesels are NOT a problem. My '96 Passat starts just fine in 25F weather, and has 180K on the motor and 40k on the GP's.

Get over to forums.tdiclub.com and look me up: I go by tonyjetta over there (TonyB was taken). For convenience, copy your original post and your 2nd post into a new post on the 'club.

Tony
Old 12-23-2010, 02:48 PM

Originally Posted by TonyB
How many miles on your TDI?

I'm wondering if the camshaft issue is causing your hard starts at those temps. When it does run, and warmed up, do you hear a popping sound in the exhaust? If so, that IS the cam failure.

IIRC, the BRM's have steel glow plugs, the BEW's got ceramics and had issues with the tips breaking off. Rarely, do you hear of steel glow plug tips breaking off.

Glow plug timer?...Controller. GP light coming on, when the door opens. Nope. Try again. This tells me that something is REALLY wrong. My '06 GP indicator only comes on with the key.

BTW...GP's and diesels are NOT a problem. My '96 Passat starts just fine in 25F weather, and has 180K on the motor and 40k on the GP's.

Get over to forums.tdiclub.com and look me up: I go by tonyjetta over there (TonyB was taken). For convenience, copy your original post and your 2nd post into a new post on the 'club.

Tony
I have 83K on the car. I took the car yesterday to a VW dealer and they tested the glow plug system and they said everything is up to spec.
I did learn the reason that i couldn't get a reading on my amp meter is the glow plugs wont turn on until the mid 30F range and my shop is at 50.

But what is really ticking me off is the car starts fine at 50F but at 14F plugged in it has a real tuff time starting. I checked the pan heater that works too.

I checked over at the TDI club really haven't found anything that helps yet.
Old 12-24-2010, 04:14 PM

My 02 sits out side, it cranks longer in cold
but still starts.
Old 12-24-2010, 04:31 PM

Looks like i have a compression problem. Lot of blow by when I remove the oil cap.
Old 01-01-2011, 09:15 AM

Originally Posted by RAMRODD
Looks like i have a compression problem. Lot of blow by when I remove the oil cap.
That's not always a compression problem. You need a harbor freight compression test kit. I don't recall which one; I know it's on the tdiclub.

GP's on the VW's always turn on during starting...it's an emissions thing. They just don't stay on for very long.

GP's will start turning on, as a starting aid, in the mid 40F range. You can fake the GP's into staying on for the longest pre-glow, by unplugging the coolant temp sensor. I'm not sure if there's one or two on the '06 TDI. There is one on the lower radiator hose; I've had to replace that one before. You don't need to remove it, just unplug it.

BTW...VW dealers have THE worst reputation in the US. Mostly because the TDI's are so rare in the US, most wrenches are not that familiar with them and wind up replacing a bunch of parts instead of diagnosing the problem.

Tony
Old 01-01-2011, 09:25 AM

After re-reading yoyur 1st post, I would suggest you look at tdi101, Vag-Com Locater. It's a sticky for locating people that can help you by scanning the car with an oem-like scanner. Generic scanners will give you ONLY generic codes.

Vag-Com will read OEM codes and read the other modules, as well. And, it's reasonably priced, such that any VW owner can buy one. I have one, and it works on buth my VW's. ross-tech.com

Tony
Old 01-01-2011, 11:01 AM

Your getting close to belt change, wonder if your timing is
a little off. What above said, cost less then a programmer
does for our trucks.

Quick Reply: VW TDI problums