General Diesel Discussion Talk about general diesel engines (theory, etc.) If it's about diesel, and it doesn't fit anywhere else, then put it right in here.

V-configuration Cummins in Ram 1500 and Durango...possibly

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2006, 11:26 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by cumminsdriver635
Why cant they just put a good I-4 engine in them. I just dont like a v configured diesel. They run like a gasser IMO, and dont have the down low pull that an inline motor of the same displacement will.
The reason they won't build a good I-4 engine (or L4) is called NVH (Noise, Vibration, Harshness)... just get get good power out of a L4 without significiant vibration levels..

I think a v configuration could be made to pull down low, it's just that the ones on the market now don't... what you do lose with a v configuration is main bearing surface area... the 6BT has 3 times the main bearing area that a Powerstroke has...
Old 08-02-2006, 12:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You also can't compare the power stroke to the cummins, even though they are the same displacement, the power stroke has 2 more cylinders. So the bore of the PS is less. You must look at the bore to stroke ratio. If you were to compare a v-6 to a I-6 of the same displacement, with the same bore to stroke ratio with the same cam profile the HP and torque will probably be very similar. But if say the I-6 had a larger bore yet shorter stroke than the v-6, the v-6 would probably have more torque.

I believe the main reason for going to a v-configuration was packaging. You can get larger displacement engines into smaller engine compartments. And you know how the saying goes, "there's no replacement for displacement"!!!