General Diesel Discussion Talk about general diesel engines (theory, etc.) If it's about diesel, and it doesn't fit anywhere else, then put it right in here.

Using a propane tank for air... questions

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2006, 01:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Jim Lane
...However allot of people do use old empty R-22 bottles for air tanks and there is no problems but I believe the traces of the R-22 react with the oxygen and are corrosive and weaken the tank lining.
But that is just what I have been told.
And I have used them for years with NO problems.
Jim
R-22 does an excellent job of degreasing the interior of the DAC (Dispose-A-Can) that any moisture plus any acidic contamination really makes that bare steel rust quick when exposed to air. The DAC's are actually quite clean and dry straight from the tank mfgr but some of the foreign mfg'd sources of cheap refrigerants have a little more residual trace acid in their product. Add a little moisture from an air compressor, and voila'!...Rust.
BTW, The old black **** DAC's would easily work for refrigerant recovery(or air tanks)and therefore the powers-at-be fixed that... All the new green **** DAC's now have a permanent check valve built into them to prevent backflow or re-use.
Some of those older ones that got used for recovery of some contaminated refrigerant from a previous hermetic compressor burnout would REALLY rust up when used as an air tank afterwards.

K.
Old 05-09-2006, 03:39 PM
Muted User

Originally Posted by edwinsmith
Some people have used it as a refrigerant.

Acutally a small shot of propane in an air conditioner system does wonders. Too much though and it freezes.
Old 05-09-2006, 04:19 PM

Originally Posted by Bart Timothy
An interesting tidbit - propane has almost identicle physical properties as r22. If it weren't for flamability, it would make an excellent refridgerent.
I think propane's vapor pressure is more like R-12 than R-22. Not near as high a vapor pressure as R-22.
Some of the "drop-in" car A/C refrigerant replacements for R-12 were propane & a few other LPG's blended to get the exact vapor press of R-12. They did work, but with that much LPG components in the blend, it was awfully hard to get away from that pesky flammability problem...
Can you imagine a slight leak of LPG in the evaporator and going out to your car and unlocking the door and the domelight comes on? BOOM!!!!

K
Old 05-09-2006, 04:35 PM
P.J
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I happened to see a rack in the Hardware store today, it was full of those new(er) OFPD (overfill prevention device) valves. The pressure relief on the backside of it said "Do-Not Adjust--375psi" I don't hink you have to worry about blowing one!
Old 05-09-2006, 10:04 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by SoTexRattler
I think propane's vapor pressure is more like R-12 than R-22. Not near as high a vapor pressure as R-22.
Some of the "drop-in" car A/C refrigerant replacements for R-12 were propane & a few other LPG's blended to get the exact vapor press of R-12. They did work, but with that much LPG components in the blend, it was awfully hard to get away from that pesky flammability problem...
Can you imagine a slight leak of LPG in the evaporator and going out to your car and unlocking the door and the domelight comes on? BOOM!!!!

K

You're right it's r12 and not r22.
Old 05-10-2006, 10:17 AM

Inflator

I took an old 20lb tank and made an inflator out of it. Replaced the valve with a 1 inch ball valve to a piece of copper pipe flattened on the end. It works great. It has a fitting so I can use it as an air tank also.

Old 05-12-2006, 09:55 AM

Originally Posted by SoTexRattler

K
Propane is used regularly as a refridgerant especially on old vehicles.
Old 05-12-2006, 09:03 PM
Administrator

Can yo say "kaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaboooooooooooom".
Yes, I thought you could.
Old 05-14-2006, 07:03 PM

But does not change what I stated... I don't run it