General Diesel Discussion Talk about general diesel engines (theory, etc.) If it's about diesel, and it doesn't fit anywhere else, then put it right in here.

using an in bed auxillary tank with a topper?

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2010, 01:45 PM
jpl

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
using an in bed auxillary tank with a topper?

First and foremost, I promise I spent about 30 minutes searching so that I wasn't asking one of those "same old questions".

I am wondering what my options are for filling an auxillary fuel tank with a topper installed on the truck short of backing up to the pump and climbing in the bed?

I'm wanting to install a small tank in the bed and use the gravity fed method to the main tank, but am hopeful that someone has come up with an ingenious way of filling that tank. I'm sure I could use a hole saw and plumb some type of filler neck through the window of the topper, but I think it would look awful.

Any ideas?
Old 10-14-2010, 01:51 PM

I will ask my friend as he has an OBS Powerstroke with a topper and an aux tank...

Just so I'm on the same page, a topper is another name for "bed cap", correct? Thanks

-J
Old 10-14-2010, 01:59 PM

You will almost have to either fabricate a filler neck in the side of the truck top, or run a filler hose the length of the top, so that you can fill it while standing at the back. I doubt the hose on the pump will reach all the way inside.
Old 10-14-2010, 02:02 PM

How big (gallons) of a tank are you thinking of? You could, or find someone to, fabricate a thin, long tank which would hug one side of the bed and the wheel well, with the filler neck at the back of the truck. It could be pretty thin, like 6 or 8 inches, and not take up too much bed space.
Old 10-14-2010, 02:15 PM
Advocate of getting the ban button used on him...

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Depending on what type of top you have, windows, where are the windows, no windows, etc... I would fab up a filler neck that attaches right to the top itself.
Basically take a 3-4 inch hole saw and add a "Fuel door" to the side of the top that when opened exposed the filler tube. Pretty much like the truck itself has. Shouldn't be too hard to do either.
If you do do it, take pics and post a write up about it here!
Old 10-14-2010, 03:12 PM
Just a plain ole guy

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
However you choose to fill it, do make sure that you install a vent to the outside of the topper. This is common on boats and there's plenty of boat tank vent kits out there that'll be simple and do the job. You might even find a boat tank fill kit.

Overtons come to mind right away. here's a little from a quick look. They have tons of fueling supplies.

http://www.overtons.com/modperl/prod...B&merchID=4006

http://www.overtons.com/modperl/prod...D&merchID=4006

http://www.overtons.com/modperl/prod...B&merchID=4006

http://www.overtons.com/modperl/prod...A&merchID=4006
Old 10-14-2010, 03:37 PM
jpl

I knew I'd found the right place! When I used the term topper, I meant what many probably call a camper shell. It's one that you raise a back window and then you can let the tailgate down. It kinda makes my Dodge look like a oversized SUV.

I'm probably gonna fabricate my own tank out of aluminum. I have a small, lockable toolbox in the back and I am going to move it over and set a tank beside it. I suppose it's possible I may find a tank that will fit without having to fabricate one.

I prefer to have a filler neck/cap on the side of the topper kind of above the one for the truck, but have been worried about the looks. Overton's is a great idea, I'll check it out tonight. Running a neck to the back would certainly work too.

Thanks for all the input and please keep the ideas coming. I'm sure someone has done this.
Old 10-14-2010, 04:07 PM
Just a plain ole guy

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
If you look in the fuel section, overtons had sending units and fuel gauges too. You could have a separate gauge for just this tank. The gauge won't know it's not in a boat.
Old 10-14-2010, 06:33 PM

Northern tool has a kit for tanks in bed with a topper.
Old 10-14-2010, 06:40 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
A setup like this wouldn't look bad> http://www.amazon.com/Moeller-Fuel-T.../dp/B000MTB7OW
Old 10-14-2010, 06:57 PM
jpl

Yep, that northern tool kit is just what I've been searching for. I get a new catalog all the time, but have never seen it in there.

It'll be this winter before I get a chance to put all this together. I'll take some pics as I do it and let ya'll know how it goes. Thanks for all the in put.
Old 10-14-2010, 07:43 PM

Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts
Originally Posted by jpl
First and foremost, I promise I spent about 30 minutes searching so that I wasn't asking one of those "same old questions".

I am wondering what my options are for filling an auxillary fuel tank with a topper installed on the truck short of backing up to the pump and climbing in the bed?

I'm wanting to install a small tank in the bed and use the gravity fed method to the main tank, but am hopeful that someone has come up with an ingenious way of filling that tank. I'm sure I could use a hole saw and plumb some type of filler neck through the window of the topper, but I think it would look awful.

Any ideas?
how does this look?
Name:  P1010220.jpg
Views: 4352
Size:  44.9 KB
Old 10-14-2010, 09:01 PM

I just replaced the side windows of the shells with the style that open just like the rear door. comes in real handy for lots of things besides the Filling Up.
Old 10-21-2010, 01:05 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
transfer flow also sells a fill neck for toppers.
http://www.transferflow.com/crossthebedtanks_0.html
Old 10-21-2010, 03:25 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by jpl

Any ideas?
On a work site truck that brought fuel the truck had a topper with flip up glass sides that gave easy access and looked like regular topper.