General Diesel Discussion Talk about general diesel engines (theory, etc.) If it's about diesel, and it doesn't fit anywhere else, then put it right in here.

Turning the rear cabin into sleeping quarters...

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2007, 10:59 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Heh, when I drive way up north to ride I usually sleep in the truck overnight so I dont have to drive in the AM. I just pull up the arm-rest and pass out on the front seats. Guess Im short enough I can get away with it =p
Old 07-21-2007, 09:53 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Way back well over 30 years ago I bought this truck for coastal fishing where most could not go. The sleeper access was through the rear window. The window was removed and a flexible boot installed. No cutting to mount permanent. I used it for a while, then removed it and put back stock rear window. It was functional, for a big person(s) would be very cramped. I had large auxillary fuel tank mounted under it in the bed, so space loss was minimal for me. Was not into picture taking back then and can not find any other pictures.
Old 07-21-2007, 01:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This was really popular back then. The shop I worked at made these custom. I always thought they were awkward and uncomfortable. Alway hot in the summer and vents didn't help much. Us big guys had a hard time getting in and out. I also felt they were not too safe to be in going down the road. As a plain sleeper....I just curled up in the seat and thru the junk in ours.

Old 07-21-2007, 01:47 PM

I really can't remember where I found these so I can't give credit where it is due. It was someone on TDR.

I'm going to do this in my truck more for gear than sleeping because I have yet to have someone sit in the back. But it would work great to sleep on. I fit just fine in the back of mine with a seat, this would only be better.

Jeff

Old 07-21-2007, 02:52 PM

Originally Posted by Haulin_in_Dixie
Now be careful of that one, in National Parks you are not allowed to have any type of firearm. I ran into that with a shotgun in the trailer of a bike coming back from Alaska. There are generally large signs stating this. I was not legal with the shotgun in the trailer and the ammo in the saddle bag, I checked on it. Utah, Oklahoma and some others were on the list.
Yes, as you say in National Parks there are big restrictions... But I said "National Forests." There is a big difference between the two. As a matter of fact, most national forests even have areas specifically assigned to target shooting... I regularly shoot (for free) my 12 ga. pump shotgun, my .45-70 rifle and my .44 revolver in the nearby national forest. Last time a ranger approached me... I asked if there was anything wrong... He said, "not at all, just curious to know what makes so much noise..." I offered him to go ahead and try my .44 RedHawk loaded with 240 gr. LSW @ 1,500 fps...

He did... just one shot... that's all he cared for.
Old 07-21-2007, 03:14 PM

Originally Posted by Homestead
I really can't remember where I found these so I can't give credit where it is due. It was someone on TDR.

I'm going to do this in my truck more for gear than sleeping because I have yet to have someone sit in the back. But it would work great to sleep on. I fit just fine in the back of mine with a seat, this would only be better.

Jeff
It looks great and very functional... It would be even better with a large, sturdy tool-box-like safe box securely bolted/welded to it.

So, is that (in the pictures) something one must build on his own, or are there places where these assemblies can be bought ready-made?
Old 10-24-2007, 06:35 AM

I slept in my truck for quite a while (couple months) it sucked, but was free. I got harrassed by cops all the time. 2 or 3 nights a week they would knock on my window. they never said it was illegal though. I think the only problem is people sleeping in the back while the truck is driving. no seat belts and that sort of thing.
Old 10-24-2007, 01:42 PM

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Two people (or three) can drive long distances nonstop with my setup, taking 2 hour shifts driving/sleeping, and not be tired at destination arrival. Non-commercial.
The box is 1/2" plywood contoured to fit the floor. The mattress is 4" thick high quality latex foam. The piano hinge is set on a steel angle for structure and located 4 inches forward of the cabin wall so the lid can be raised leaving a space for the mattress. The box holds a lot of tools, spares, and emergency supplies.
Line the cabin wall with accousical material, insulation and padding for comfort. Three seat belts remain, and the young granddaughters can sit there sometimes.
Attached Thumbnails Turning the rear cabin into sleeping quarters...-img_0727.jpg   Turning the rear cabin into sleeping quarters...-img_0729.jpg