General Diesel Discussion Talk about general diesel engines (theory, etc.) If it's about diesel, and it doesn't fit anywhere else, then put it right in here.

Turning the rear cabin into sleeping quarters...

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2007, 10:28 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by t-boe
I did check out other caps. ARE and Glasstite are good caps. Snugtop really didn't impress me, they're kind of cheesy. My plates aren't commercial. All WY plates look the same. The commercial ones just say "commercial" on the top of them.
OK. As for me, the one providing the best combo of security
and style (with security being foremost) wins the day...
Old 07-16-2007, 10:51 AM

Above is a picture of my Hawk Cap and they can be ordered with no Side Windows. My windows are tinted to match the rest of the truck and it has 2 locking handles on the back and when the back window on the capper is shut you can't open the tailgate. I bought the capper for the reason you are looking at to sleep in versus a tent. I would do it again just to have a huge locking trunk. I think it is as secure as the rest of the truck but if someone really wants to steal something neither are going to stop them. As mentioned the fiber glass is fairly thick and rugged and I have no concerns over breaking it. Any question just ask. Have a great day.
Old 07-16-2007, 11:01 AM

don't reply to these posts folks...this is the same character that recently started a thread about lifts and front end reliability issues and wrote essays every post just to get a rise out of people.I noticed he changed his location name after i told him where he was really from
Old 07-16-2007, 02:43 PM

Originally Posted by KWhitelaw

Above is a picture of my Hawk Cap and they can be ordered with no Side Windows. My windows are tinted to match the rest of the truck and it has 2 locking handles on the back and when the back window on the capper is shut you can't open the tailgate. I bought the capper for the reason you are looking at to sleep in versus a tent. I would do it again just to have a huge locking trunk. I think it is as secure as the rest of the truck but if someone really wants to steal something neither are going to stop them. As mentioned the fiber glass is fairly thick and rugged and I have no concerns over breaking it. Any question just ask. Have a great day.
Thanks so much for the info...

Very beautiful truck!!!

Yours looks just as mine would, with the exception yours is
a Mega and mine a QC...

I noticed you have 33s on and what looks like a lift...
what type of lift, and are you happy with the tires/lift
package?

Thanks...
Old 07-16-2007, 02:49 PM

Originally Posted by mr T
don't reply to these posts folks...this is the same character that recently started a thread about lifts and front end reliability issues and wrote essays every post just to get a rise out of people.I noticed he changed his location name after i told him where he was really from
What's the matter, pal... a screw a bit loose or something up there?
My name hasn't changed... and my location is still CA...

You are still making your out-of-line/off-the-wall remarks as you did
back then in that "thread about lifts and front end reliability issues..."
Maybe it wouldn't be such a bad idea to look into getting some
professional help concerning your own issues, after all, for your own
good, you know...

Take it real easy, now...

Charles
Old 07-19-2007, 09:02 AM

Thank you all who have given your constructive advice, both in the forum and in private email. It was very helpful

One more thing... when it comes to having modified your truck to sleep in it, one topic that often comes up is that of keeping in it some weapon for self-defense purposes. When I'm out in some remote area with my wife, I don't mind taking along my shotgun for that reason... You never know... until you do. This has already been discussed with a couple of the posters here privately (again, thanks for the precious input!), so I thought it would also be nice to learn some more from you guys who like me believe in the 2nd amendment, on useful ways to conceal and secure your firearm of choice in the truck, of course safely and in accordance to law.
Old 07-19-2007, 09:06 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Use another state and just get a state ID or whatever is required and get a CHL in that particular state if you can't in your state. Then check the map on where you can travel with it.
Old 07-19-2007, 09:11 AM

Originally Posted by Joe T
Just get a state ID or whatever is required and get a CHL in that particular state if you can't in your state. Then check the map on where you can travel with it.
Yes, sure... but I meant more like where to store it in the truck safely and so that it doesn't bounce around... especially if like in my case is a long gun. I mean, did you guys install a safe box or something to store it in, are there good products on the market for this purpose, etc.

Of course, issues like you just mentioned are very important too...

Thanks...
Old 07-19-2007, 09:41 AM
Banned

Pawnshop pump shotgun. Short barrel from academy (that mossy oaks barrel also fits 870s) take a hacksaw to the stock and pull the choke.

Throw it under the seat and sleep with it next to you.
Old 07-19-2007, 11:52 AM

You could always put a sunroof in it and mount a tripod in the roof..... Seriously each state is different and requires a seperate study as to what you can carry. Some states you can carry nothing with a jail time attached if caught with a firearm. In mass you cannot even transport one without a license.
Old 07-19-2007, 01:41 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Haulin_in_Dixie
In mass you cannot even transport one without a license.
Geez. I'd start a political discussion but... nevermind.
Old 07-19-2007, 03:03 PM

Thanks for the compliments. Actually the truck is stock with no lift or leveling kit and running 285/70R17 BFG AT's as in sig.
Old 07-20-2007, 10:46 AM

Originally Posted by Haulin_in_Dixie
Some states you can carry nothing with a jail time attached if caught with a firearm. In mass you cannot even transport one without a license.
Here in CA (the land of liberals, especially in the large metro areas ), you must transport unloaded, locked in the trunk, with ammo locked in a separate container, and only in case you have a valid reason for doing so (e.g. going to the range for target shooting), UNLESS you have a CCW from this state (no reciprocity with other states is recognized). They are generally hard to get, also depending on your county of residence... I've applied for one of these, let's see what happens...

However, when you are on national forest land anywhere in the US, you are entitled to open carry the weapon of your choice, and/or to keep one loaded in your vehicle for self-defense purposes, even in California, where there are HUGE national forest areas...

Those of you guys who live in Arizona, Texas, Nevada, etc. have it real easy... Sooner of later I will get the heck out of here...
Old 07-20-2007, 05:28 PM

Now be careful of that one, in National Parks you are not allowed to have any type of firearm. I ran into that with a shotgun in the trailer of a bike coming back from Alaska. There are generally large signs stating this. I was not legal with the shotgun in the trailer and the ammo in the saddle bag, I checked on it. Utah, Oklahoma and some others were on the list.
Old 07-20-2007, 09:40 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by 74dart
I used the just lay across the seat in the back and go to sleep. I'm only 5'7" so it wasn't that bad.
Yup, I used to commute to D.C. every week. Going through NJ/NY was sometimes a long time, especially holidays. The Dodge is so wide compared to Fords and Chevys that I was comfortable in the back seat also. Used to bring my pillows and a blanky and snore away. Found a great rest area where the Boy Scouts would set up for a fundraiser overnight. Hotdog for dinner and coffee and doughnuts for breakfast and I was on my way.

Quick Reply: Turning the rear cabin into sleeping quarters...