General Diesel Discussion Talk about general diesel engines (theory, etc.) If it's about diesel, and it doesn't fit anywhere else, then put it right in here.

Trying to make Bio Diesel, cant find ingredients

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2004, 02:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Okay, I see getting the lye from ACE Red devil brand, Methanol Im still a little uncertain b/c if it cost me 2.5 a gallon and I need 55gallons, what if I can find enough veggie oil to make BIo Diesel? Im stuck with a 55 gallon drum of methanol.

Also where do you buy the Eye dropper, Graduated cylinder and beakers from? Plus I have another problem, went to a local resturant and asked them if they are willing to give free used oil, they said that all the resturants on the block dump their oil into a 150 gallon tanker. THey pay 25 dollars a month I think, and the company comes and picks up the oil in a tanker truck. So If I try to use their oil, most likely the company would come by and pick up their tank and I"ll have to provide one, and go through a bunch of other legal stuff etc etc. What Im getting at is, My owns a truckin company and drives as well, He burns sometimes 200+ gallons a week. So If we can make 200 gallons of bio diesel a week, that would mean tremendous savings. I'll try to become a member on the biodiesel site and see what they say about finding methanol, Thanks for the help guys.
Old 12-02-2004, 06:17 PM

What's the ratio of Waste oil, lye and methanol to 1 gal of ready to burn biodiesel?

I unfortunately have never made my own. I've been paying $3.25 a gallon 5 gallons at a time. Beats the price of PowerService and you can actually run on it not JUST benefit from lubricating the pumps, injectors, etc.

My friend and I plan on getting into it but I see that it is quite a process. Need space to do it, heaters, drums, etc. I've heard once all is said and done you can expect to pay about $1/gal assuming you get your WVO for free.
Old 12-02-2004, 09:21 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I know a guy in FL that got a good deal on a drum of methanol, but his total cost is .49cents /gal. I'm pretty sure you can be well under a dollar. As far as getting the oil, try explaining to the manager what you're doing with it, and that they will be charged less for removal. Chinese restaurants typically have the best oil, so I would start there. You will have to have your own container and pump to suck the WVO out of their container and pump it into yours. You'll want some kind of strainer to stop any big food pieces etc.
Old 12-03-2004, 08:19 PM

alrighty. Just to set some things straight so you dont go buy the wrong stuff.

like it was said before Red devil lye is 100% lye. exactly what you need. For making test batches to see if you can pull it off

next. Heet is a good product as its 100% methonal OR 100% isperalchol( however you spell it) You need to buy the heet in the yellow bottle to get the stuff you want.

As far as the extra methonal in the mix. this is true. but it evaporated very easy. If you make the fuel correctly. AKA leaving sit for period of time to make sure seperation and contanimates are out youll be fine. aslo it boils a 147 F ( in iowa anyway) Ger her warm and shell burn right off. NOt in flame. evaporate would be better

One problem ive had though. And i cant seem to find anyone that knows why. When i Go to boil off my meth and water my fuel turns to gel. I have no idea why. It just turns to a snotty yucky stuff. who knows

On a note on how much fuel you will get out of the mix. If you are experienced and are running good oils. You can get a 1:1 conversion. 1 gal of oil makes 1 gal of fuel. What you put in takes the place of what comes out. But for the most part you can figure that you can get 90 % plus. Unless the oil you have is really bad ( lost of water and crap) or has been over used ( too many fatty acids) then more of the fuel will convert into your glycerin Which to your truck is useless. But makes great floor was haha
Old 12-03-2004, 09:03 PM

I see, Got the Red devil stuff, and found a local Supplier or methanol, 2.5/gallon so that seems pretty good price, but I have to buy a minum of 5 gallons. We have a small diesel in a refigerator unit that is used in Semi truck trailers. Small little engine that can be used to test out the batches of biodiesel first, so then I can be more confident with the system and go ahead and give the word to the resturants and get an Oil container.

Also, if you heat up the biodiesel batch to 147+F and then put a lid on the top, and use a condensor hooked up to it, Tube surounded with cool water flowing through it, I hear that brings back 1/3 of the methanol used.