General Diesel Discussion Talk about general diesel engines (theory, etc.) If it's about diesel, and it doesn't fit anywhere else, then put it right in here.

Tractor pulling

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2005, 09:22 PM
JKM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tractor pulling

Sorry this took me so long folks , i know some of you have been waiting.

A few weeks ago Apoc , myself ,and another friend attended a tractor pull , it was a 2 day event , but we only made one day of it. we saw all the pro stocks pull, as well as farm stock , super modified , 4x4 truck , 2wd truck , blown engine , and unlimited king of the maritimes class (the winner of this class last year pulled 384' )

There was one runaway , visible in picture #5 , One turbo exploded , which i thought was neat to see. It happened to be the same machine that won king of the maritimes last year , so he was out of the running this year , and i would say , of the whole day , it was by far the most powerful machine. Standing trackside , roughly 45' from the track , i took a few steps back when this one left the line. I have been around machinery since i could walk , loud things spinning really fast never worried me, but when this tractor launched , it scared me, it is visible as "family tradition II" in the pics.

In the 2wd truck class there was one that munched the tranny( i beleive he was running a built up 454 chev on pure alcohol (estimated at 1100 hp i heard later)

The only pro stock JD at the event had some problems right off of the line , and he never did complete a pull.

Interesting also , if you notice the case MX170 named "last chance" it is piloted by a 14 year old boy. on his first pull (brand new tractor , it had never pulled before) he got a little sqirrely off of the line and shut it down before it got to out of control. He came out after that and made 2 more pulls , decent ones too.

There was only one really well sponsored pro stock there , and it was a caterpillar ( actually built by AGCO ) it was running a mildly tuned (read , insanely powered) 3208 cat engine with twin stacks , and it had no trouble filling them with smoke.

I will remember more later , but for now , enjoy the pictures.

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/jaymek/album?.dir=/cbfa

P.S. i have most of it on video if someone knows where to host a fairly large video. please pm me with info.
Old 08-24-2005, 10:12 PM

Better late than never...

Anyhow there were some pretty sweet machines out there. Jayme stated all the good parts but aside from that there were also some pretty good looking women out and about as well.

I was very disappointed to see no diesel trucks pulling but I suppose there's no sense in stealing the show now is there.

As was stated too, that kid who first pulled was under alot of pressure and being ill experienced, he kind of freaked himself out when he burst off the line for the first time and almost went off the track. The audience applauded to help encourage him but the fella who was doing the announcing wasn't much encouragement whatsoever. I swear he took every opportunity to poke fun at the little bugger and I'm sure that didn't help much on top of the fact of a couple other old guys trying to tell him what he needs to do to win.

All and all it was an awesome show... seeing a tractor almost explode and a turbo come right through the hood of a tractor. I still wunder if they would have given me that turbine as a souvenir

Mike
Old 08-24-2005, 10:18 PM
JKM

Mike makes a good point about the announcer , he had to have been the most rude ignorant impatient man they could have found for the weekend.

And yes there were some very good looking women around too , i think we might have a shot or 2 somewhere when i get another minute.

I am going to the pull in centreville sept 3rd , there is one this weekend in truro , but i don't have time to make it, there is also one in windsor in sept 24/25th i beleive.
Old 08-25-2005, 06:49 AM

Man that looks like fun!!!!

Kcastun, how did the Olivers fair? not a lot of people try to pull them as they are more setup for heavy field work than pulling. But I do love to see the original green out on the track.

Hope to get me and the boy to a couple of pulls this fall, been to busy with the little girls softball to get to any so far, she had 70 games this summer and now its fall ball for the boy and volleyball for her.

thanks for the good pics... reminds me of what ive been missing.

DuaneW
Old 08-25-2005, 03:26 PM
JKM

The olivers did pretty good, one of them had a v8 (perkins i am assuming) in it.

They seemed to be slighly less powerful than the internationals, but everyone was pulling roughly the same distance , mostly because the track developed a pretty bad dip about half track, the sled would slide over the dip , and hardly be putting any weight on the ground , then it would slam into the other side and it was all over with. only the best made it past there.
Old 08-25-2005, 03:34 PM
P.J
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I like Smoke
Old 08-25-2005, 05:03 PM

Originally posted by kcastun
They seemed to be slighly less powerful than the internationals, but everyone was pulling roughly the same distance , mostly because the track developed a pretty bad dip about half track, the sled would slide over the dip , and hardly be putting any weight on the ground , then it would slam into the other side and it was all over with. only the best made it past there.
Actually it kind of turned into a hilly drag. They pulled until a dip was formed then tried to change the pace by starting the pulls from the other end. Worst part was, no matter which end they started at the dip played a major part in every pull. If I remember right as well, another dip also formed at the very start of one end. All and all there was some strong pulling, lots of smoke and lots of
Old 08-25-2005, 05:12 PM

Oliver was a 3208 CAT more than likely...the 2255 used them as stock engines, then some of the later model White's had them as well.

Chris
Old 08-26-2005, 05:48 AM

One of these days I'm going to get down to Jeffersonville and say hello Signature600, Im sure my Ollie will need some Agco parts sometime, I only live 45 to 50 miles north of you.
Would sure be nice to have some dollars to through at it and try to make a puller. Biggest problem with the ollies is WEIGHT, very heavy ol tractors. 65hp Ollie ends up pulling against 90 to 100hp Deers & IH's (FactoryHP), just alot more room to add ponies in the deer & IH because of cubic inches. Also takes alot of work to get a 1950 or 1955 down to 10K, let alone a 2255.

DuaneW.
Old 08-26-2005, 08:28 AM

You can say that again, Duane!! They are some heavy suckers.

Just realized that you were form Ashville...that's not far at all

Let me know if you need some parts some day, I can check on them and let you know if we've got them before you drive all the way here.

Chris