General Diesel Discussion Talk about general diesel engines (theory, etc.) If it's about diesel, and it doesn't fit anywhere else, then put it right in here.

Toyota Tundra Diesel??

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2004, 06:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
my 99 had(I peeled it off) a little sticker on the window that said proudly union made in St. louis, USA
Old 06-16-2004, 06:32 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My 98 24v was made in St. Louis, USA also. The salesman told me all the deisels would be made in the USA as the shipping of the Cummins to Mexico was to much I have a buddy with a 98 gasser (assembled in Mexico) and hes had so many problems with it hes going back to Toyota
Old 06-16-2004, 07:09 PM

I have a 1985 toyota with a 2.4 litre diesel. It's got 336K and still runnin awesome, great little diesel but not much power

I use the CTD for towing though

Cheers
Old 06-17-2004, 10:08 AM
Proprietor of Fiver's Inn and Hospitality Center

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally posted by phox_mulder
My 1996 Tacoma was made in California.

My Dodge was made in Mexico by a German company, can't get any more American than that.

phox
phox,
It is almost impossible to buy anything that is "completely" made in America any longer. I am fully aware of outsourcing. The point I am making is Toyota is NOT an American company. It is a sad point in our economy when other nations start building their product in our country because they can hire us to make it cheaper than they can pay their own people. I am glad for the jobs for Americans, but baby, Toyota is not American. It is sad when our Ram has to be built in Mexico. Now, Toyota has strong ownership from an American company - - that is how convoluted this whole thing is becoming.

If I have the choice, I will "try" and buy American - - as much American as it can be in this screwed up economy. I looked long and hard at the Ford because it is about as American as can be expected in today's world. It just didn't carry the tow rating and I sure didn't like the way it drove.

As for DC being a German company, where is the majority of the stock ownership - - I really have not checked. I may need to buy a Chev or Ford next time. Trouble is, Hoss owns Ford - - now, how much more convoluted can that become?

ConfusedBob
Old 06-17-2004, 10:39 AM

Originally posted by FiverBob
Trouble is, Hoss owns Ford - - now, how much more convoluted can that become?

ConfusedBob
The answer is indefinite... see, if Hoss owns Ford, and Ford owns Cummins, then Hoss would own Cummins by proxy? Lucky dog!
Old 06-17-2004, 10:54 AM

THE BOTTOM LINE IS WHERE DOES THE MAJORITY OF THE PROFITS GO EVEN THE COMPANYS THE ARE JAPANESE OWNED BUT MANUFACTURE IN THE USA FOR EVRY JOB THEY CREATE IN USA THEY CREATE 2 IN JAPAN AND ANYONE CARE TO TAKE A QUESS AT WHAT PERCENTAGE OF HAWAI IS OWNED BY JAPANESE OR EVEN NEWYORK CITY MY POINT IS THAT IT IS NO FUN WORKING FOR FORIEGN INTREST WHEN THEY ARE SLOWLY BUYING YOU HOME COUNTRY JUST THINK THE GOOD OLD USA WILL ONE DAY BE OWNED BY JAPAN BOUGHT AND PAID FOR BY YOUR DOLLARS ENJOY TOSE TOYOTAS AND NISSANS AMONG ALOT OF OTHER THINGS AND WHEN THAT HAPPENS MAYBE YOUR GREAT GRAND KIDS WILL FORGIVE YOU
Old 06-17-2004, 04:01 PM
Administrator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by FiverBob
As for DC being a German company, where is the majority of the stock ownership - - I really have not checked.

ConfusedBob
I'm not sure either, might be worth looking into.

I did feel better about myself buying my Dodge instead of getting another Toyota,
so I guess that's worth something.

phox
Old 06-22-2004, 08:10 PM

I live near where the Tundra is made. Toyota gives a lot of money to the community I like that. Ford just put s distribution plant near here as well, all those jobs were filled ones that Ford brought in.
I understand about wanting to keep our money here at home. But when I see what is going on right down the road, it makes me wonder. I worked at the Toyota plant for over a year while it was being built. I have several friends that work there now. I consider when I buy one the money is going back into my community. Now to buy one that is made say in CA. I don't think I would think of it the same way. I don't think any of us do.

By the way I don't think my great grandkids or great great grandkids will be speaking Japanese as a primary language. Maybe Spanish but not Japanese.
Old 06-22-2004, 09:32 PM
Muted User

The US market is sadly lacking the small diesels that are available in the rest of the world, probably because petrol (gasoline) prices are still quite low here by comparison. If we were paying the equivalent of over $6 a gallon there would be a lot more of them. Under such circumstances large pickups -- even with diesel engines -- would probably be rare, because people would be unable to either afford or justify the expense. When energy demand in places like China and India starts to match the US requirements expect prices at the pump to go through the roof. This may happen sooner than we think. That's when big pickups will come off the road in droves, to be replaced by smaller rigs with four-banger diesels. In the long run, we will pay a high price indeed for all the cheap stuff we've been buying that's made in Red China.
Old 06-23-2004, 02:25 PM

HEY YOU HAVE TO LOOK AT THE WHOLE PICTURE THEY FOOL PEOPLE BY GIVING MONEY TO THE COMMUNITY AND GETTING THE COMMUNITY BEHIND THEM THE WHOLE TIME THEY ARE BUYING ALL THIER EQUIPMENT FROM JAPAN AND MAKING SURE THAT ALL SPARE PARTS ARE FROM JAPAN BECAUSE ULTIMATLEY THERE INTENSIONS ARE TO BETTER JAPAN AND BUY UP AS MUCH OF THE GOOD OLD USA AS THEY CAN YOUR ARE RIGHT ABOUT YOUR GRAND KIDS NOT SPEAKING JAPANESE AS THE PRIMARY LAGUAGE BUT IF THINGS DON'T CHANGE THEY WILL BE WORKING FOR THE JAPANESE AT WHAT EVER WAGES THEY FEEL LIKE PAYING THEM BUT THERE IS ALWAYS A CHNCE THAT I WILL BE WRONG BECAUSE THE RAPTURE MIGHT COME FIRST
Old 06-25-2004, 12:35 PM

Originally posted by mrb321us
That's when big pickups will come off the road in droves, to be replaced by smaller rigs with four-banger diesels. In the long run, we will pay a high price indeed for all the cheap stuff we've been buying that's made in Red China.
Woohoo! I can't wait until I'm the only one left on the road with a BIG CTD TRUCK! If fuel becomes $6/gal then I'll just have to figure out a way to feed the habit... and it'll be fun running over the little tiny matchbox cars on the road.