General Diesel Discussion Talk about general diesel engines (theory, etc.) If it's about diesel, and it doesn't fit anywhere else, then put it right in here.

Toyota Tundra Diesel??

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2004, 08:59 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I know that Toyota has plans to have a 3/4ton and 1 ton truck with a diesel option availible by 2007. They are building a new plant just for those trucks.
Old 06-14-2004, 02:22 PM

I have to agree with Coolslice... I've owned 3 Toyotas and they've all been great, quality-wise. Even though I personally feel that they have a cheap look and feel to them, they sure are realiable and consistent performers. I just wish they'd put some style into them... way to bland for my tastes.

IMO, that's great news that Nissan and Toyota are entering the HD market... this can only stimulate competition and in the long term, create better products for all of us, no matter what flavor you decide to buy.
Old 06-14-2004, 05:02 PM

Yup, the new plant for the 3/4 & 1 ton trucks is gonna be in TX.
Old 06-14-2004, 06:34 PM

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
toyota

I do know that toyota is going to start making big trucks along the lines of an fl90, as far as a class 8 im not sure. The one i have seen had a mercedes in it. The truck was callled a HINO.
Old 06-14-2004, 08:20 PM

Yeah I agree that the Toyota would be my first choice if they make a diesel. Regarding the styling of Tundras, Toyota made a really agressive concept at the Detroit auto show this year. I have included a link to an article too.

http://www.automobilemag.com/auto_sh...det_toyotaftx/

Old 06-15-2004, 12:51 AM

Thx iwantaCUMMINS...
Boy, that front end looks awfully familiar... the sloped-back windshield, rounded wheelwells, front fenders, headlights, hoodline and grille appear, dare I say, very RAM-ish
Old 06-15-2004, 11:39 AM

When a diesel HD Tundra arrives with a manual tranny I will be all over that

probably ain't going to happen. they will probably make like ford [no low end torque without slushbox] and gm [lower hp on manual] and push the slushbox on the buyers [like that new f150, only slushbox avalable] i don't want a slushbox as long as i can drive a handshaker.
Old 06-15-2004, 08:17 PM

There is always the hope that they will have a nice 6 speed. I got rid of my auto Tundra mainly for the CTD and manual tranny. I liked the Tundra, no complaints other than no manual. Great power for the small V8. Beat on most of the other 1/2 ton gassers.

Nick
Old 06-16-2004, 06:22 AM

We have a Tundra, it has been a great truck for 3 years now. Much better in quality than any of the others I have seen. I wish Toyota would put a Cummins in their version of a 3/4 ton Tundra. Now that would be a package that would last forever.
Fact is I am driving the Tundra now since the Dodge is in the body shop. While it is nicer and all. I want my Cummins back!
Old 06-16-2004, 08:28 AM
Proprietor of Fiver's Inn and Hospitality Center

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts
My two Toyotas were junk. They didn't break, but they were so cheap. Don't lean on a fender - - it bends. Interior fell apart. At 70,000 miles it was ready for the junk yard - - but, it didn't break - - there I must give it credit. Served me right for buying foreign.

I will stay with American as long as I can get a good vehicle from them that meets my needs. I did not like it that my Ram was assembled in Mexico. I really gave it some long thought before buying. One of the main reasons for Ram - - towing capacity and the Cummins. Otherwise, I might have chosen one of the other two - - they are made in America - - well, most of it is made in America - - well, some of it is made in America. Well, it is an American company keeping its profits in America and paying taxes in America. I really have a problem with companies shipping jobs overseas - - all to pad the bottom line so the CEO can make an additional $30 million for the year. Mercy.

YankeeBob
Old 06-16-2004, 12:50 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My understanding, from some news letter out of Washington, is that all Mfg's, both US and foreign are waiting for the 2007 EPA requirements to be etched in stone. If they are not modified to be more realistic, there may be no diesels on the market-anywhere in the US.

I don't remember the specifics, and I'm confused about it because Europe has had stricter emmission allowances than the US for some years. I'm assuming the 07 requirements are even stricter than what is in place in Europe now.

Anyone know more about this?

Rowland
Old 06-16-2004, 02:24 PM

WELL GUYS I AM STILL NEW TO THE CUMMINS THING BUT I DO WORK FOR A JAPANESE OWNED COMPANY AND WOULD NOT WISH THAT MY WORST ENEMY HAD TO WORK FOR ONE OF THEM BUT IF YOU GUYS INSIST ON BUYING THEIR TRUCKS AND CARS AS WELL AS OTHER STUFF THEN YOU OR YOUR GRAND CHILDREN WILL WORK FOR THEM ONE DAY PERSONALY I WILL STAY AMERICAN NO MATTER WHAT THE COST
Old 06-16-2004, 03:42 PM

Originally posted by rjohnson
My understanding, from some news letter out of Washington, is that all Mfg's, both US and foreign are waiting for the 2007 EPA requirements to be etched in stone. If they are not modified to be more realistic, there may be no diesels on the market-anywhere in the US.

I don't remember the specifics, and I'm confused about it because Europe has had stricter emmission allowances than the US for some years. I'm assuming the 07 requirements are even stricter than what is in place in Europe now.

Anyone know more about this?

Rowland
I read somewhere that the 2007 regs. require diesels to meet the same requirements as the gassers. Over in Europe, they allow higher NOx and PM levels for diesels. I'm not going to go into deeper discussion of EPA anymore - it's a sore subject
Old 06-16-2004, 04:13 PM
Administrator

Originally posted by FiverBob
I will stay with American as long as I can get a good vehicle from them that meets my needs. I did not like it that my Ram was assembled in Mexico. I really gave it some long thought before buying. One of the main reasons for Ram - - towing capacity and the Cummins. Otherwise, I might have chosen one of the other two - - they are made in America - - well, most of it is made in America - - well, some of it is made in America. Well, it is an American company keeping its profits in America and paying taxes in America. I really have a problem with companies shipping jobs overseas - - all to pad the bottom line so the CEO can make an additional $30 million for the year. Mercy.

YankeeBob
My 1996 Tacoma was made in California.

My Dodge was made in Mexico by a German company, can't get any more American than that.

phox
Old 06-16-2004, 05:49 PM

I completely agree with phox...
The notion of "buying American" just ain't what it used to be. Toyotas and Nissans are now built in the U.S. whereas Dodge is made in Mexico... Chevy has a Japanese engine in it, etc. With all the outsourcing, etc going on, it's almost impossible to buy an American owned, American built, for American profit truck these days. I guess Ford still qualifies as far as I know, but I don't like calling tow trucks that much... so I'll take a Dodge, a sombrero, a burrito, and a 12pk of Corona, por favor!

Quick Reply: Toyota Tundra Diesel??