General Diesel Discussion Talk about general diesel engines (theory, etc.) If it's about diesel, and it doesn't fit anywhere else, then put it right in here.

Toyota Tundra Diesel??

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2004, 02:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Toyota Tundra Diesel??

Anybody know if Toyota is planning on putting a diesel in their almost-full size truck anytime soon? Not that I'm interested... my CTD suits me just fine... My dad is was wondering about that so I told him I'd ask around.

Thanks.
Old 06-11-2004, 05:07 PM

Not that Im aware of... But it might be interesting to see a japanese diesel engine.
Scott
Old 06-11-2004, 05:14 PM
Banned

I did hear that it would be a 2006 model with a V6 Isuzu diesel. Some speculated it might be a duramax less 2 cyls. Others have said a mitsi diesel.
Old 06-11-2004, 05:43 PM

well almost all pick ups and suv s will be fitted with a diesel by 2007 all major companies are working on it.
Old 06-11-2004, 06:10 PM

Not that Im aware of... But it might be interesting to see a japanese diesel engine.
Scott

The old Toyota Land Cruisers came with a 6 cyl. gasser, or a 4 cyl. diesel with a blower. I'm not positive, but I think the gasser was a chevy engine, and the diesel was a Mitsubishi(1970's).
Old 06-11-2004, 08:10 PM

Toyota makes some awsome diesel engines. One of thier best is an inline six cylinders in used in the Land Cruiser (not in the US)and in marine applications by Yanmar, this is the engine, http://www.yanmarmarine.com/products/lp/lp.html Yanmar is one of the last to still use a mechanical controlled engine, they say they are going to have to change next year to meet tighter emmision laws. Should be interesting to see what they come out with, nothing against Cummins but this engine is awsome and competes directly with the QSB5.9, http://www.cmdmarine.com/pdfs/4081898_0903.pdf which is in it's first year with the HPCR, as a result of the emmision laws, same as the 3rd gen trucks. Be interesting to see how it does, the marine enviroment is not an easy one for engines.
Old 06-11-2004, 09:43 PM

Originally posted by spots
I did hear that it would be a 2006 model with a V6 Isuzu diesel. Some speculated it might be a duramax less 2 cyls. Others have said a mitsi diesel.
Why would they want to use another companies engines. Toyota, Mitsu, Masda, Nissan all sell their own diesels in about everything they make. Just not in the States. It's because of the market and emmisions. We look at different things on the emmissions than the rest of the world. If any of the foreign company's want to sell diesels here, they don't have to come out with new engines, they just have to get them EPA approvced here. Most of the little diesels are great. No you can't tow a 30' gooseneck with a Toyo HiLux with a 4 cyl diesel. But you can get probably about 35+ mpg with a little 4 door 4X4.
Old 06-11-2004, 09:49 PM

would make perfect sense as I dont really need a 3/4 ton truck most of the time but the fuel savings makes it worth my while. If I could get a 1/2 ton or so with a small diesel in it that would get 25 to 30 mpg I would buy one in a heart beat.

This is one of the reasons I am sitting on the fence as to buy a new truck or not.

I hope someone does real soon.

Jason
Old 06-12-2004, 12:41 AM

Thanks for all the info guys... I'll keep my eyes peeled.

Yeah, I know that Yanmar makes a fine marine diesel... they are often found in high end cruisers and yahts <been reading too much of The Robb Report>

I've also seen the smaller Toyota diesels, but haven't seen specs on the 6cyl. Seems like a diesel in the 1/2 ton Tundra would be great for lots of people. Personally, I have to have the biggest, burliest truck, so I bought a CTD, but dad would be fine in a slightly smaller/perhaps more efficient package. I do have to say that I dig Toyota's new crew cab tho... especially the power rear window. I wish DC would jump on that bandwagon. Not to be nitpicky, but a power sunroof would be a big plus too!
Old 06-12-2004, 09:32 AM

I just can't get over how ugly the nose is on the tundra. I work as a yard jockey at the Toyota plant in Princeton, IN where they're made, so I get to see alot of those ugly buggers every day. I guess they're no uglier than the new Chevy trucks.
Old 06-12-2004, 07:54 PM

Hey Guys

I spent a year overseas, mostly in Australia and South East Asia back in the year 2000. From what I saw, we here in The USA and Canada are getting hosed by the auto manufacturers. The variety of turbo diesel engines offered by the Japanese manufactures and even ford and GM makes you wonder what the hell! The sweetest units ever I drove where in Australia, Toyota Landcruisers and the Nissan units (can't remember the name). Something that made me pay attention was the snorkels they put on their vehicles to draw cleaner dust free air and of course exclude water into the air boxes......cool stuff. But hey, the Toy truck cost 80,000 plus A$ and we could drag it around like a puppy with a sock with our rams..........Lovin it
Old 06-12-2004, 10:24 PM
Banned

toyoto diesel

I am going to replace the ford ranger that I bought for my wife so see could have her own truck. I dont intend on buying any thing that uses gasoline. I would like a toyoto diesel. I have one in 85 and it served me well. I have read where vw is going to make a truck an it could be between 320 to 400 hp. I like the vw as I have a old Jetta and it has saved me a lot of money. I drive a dodge with a cummins. If ford had a cummins that is what I would drive. My wive likes the tundra and that is a good sign.
I think that Toyoto is quality first, that is what I wont... Jimk
Old 06-13-2004, 12:43 AM

Not Toyota, but Nissan. I read in a trade mag today that Nissan was fixing to start putting a diesel in their trucks this July.
Old 06-13-2004, 01:41 PM

I saw 2007 was the target year for a diesel pickup from Toyota, and I would not be surprised if it were a much beefier truck than the Tundra.

The minute they are able to be ordered is 5 minutes before my Dodge goes on sale. I have owned Toyotas all my life up until my first Dodge (which has been great so far). I would not have bought the Dodge if Toyota would have offered a similar truck. Not to start an arguement, but if you have never owned a Toyota, you simply can not understand the difference in quality. If the Ram were made by Toyota, you can bet your butt that they wouldn't be turning their back on customers with a vibration in the rear end or pathetic milage. They (Toyota) fixed a blown head gasket on my 4runner w/ 128k miles (way out of warranty) for free, saying it was unacceptable.

Likely, it won't be in the same class as a Ram 2500 or 3500, but it will fill the gap between the weak 1/2 tons( like the current Tundra) and the much bigger 3/4 tons. I think it will be what a lot of people have been waiting for. Just my .02
Old 06-13-2004, 09:52 PM

Agreeing with coolslice. I've always had Toyotas, I still have a 84 2wd pickup with 170k, I also had a Tundra, a Tacoma, and a Celica. All reliable, nothing but maintanence done. When a diesel HD Tundra arrives with a manual tranny I will be all over that. I like my new Ram, but I still miss my Tundra at times.

Nick

Quick Reply: Toyota Tundra Diesel??