General Diesel Discussion Talk about general diesel engines (theory, etc.) If it's about diesel, and it doesn't fit anywhere else, then put it right in here.

Toyota and Nissan, whispering in Cummins ear?

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2006, 07:15 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
That's a pretty lame article IMHO! First it says Dodge has an "engine/transmission combo that just doesn't measure up". Then it goes on to praise the "Cummins' history and reputation" to the point where Cummins is being courted by Toyota and Nissan.

PS: Speaking of measuring up, the CTD has the most horsepower/torque and smallest displacement of the three. That combined with its proven long term reliability made my decision easy.
Old 01-10-2006, 07:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If I were the "big three" i'd be really keeping a close eye on that yota problem! Its got potential to ruin domestic truck sales, and thus "the big three"
Old 01-10-2006, 08:01 PM
Banned

I can't think of a single reason that toyota would not use one of their own diesels. I really hope that dodge is able to keep the Cummins contract, the thought of a benz under the hood makes me sick to my stomach.

Steve
Old 01-10-2006, 08:20 PM
Top's Younger Twin

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
Toyota already has a diesel for the 2500 and 3500 crowd. Watch, it will show up after the 07 emissions. The dually 6 spd auto that is being tested in the USA runs circles around the big three for power, quality and reliability.
That came direct from a writer I know that is involved with this. I have known him for nearly 20 yrs so I know he is legit with this report.

He is in AZ.

Scotty
Old 01-10-2006, 09:10 PM

here ya go

looks like it's in good shape.

http://albuquerque.craigslist.org/car/119357905.html
Old 01-12-2006, 08:50 PM

Originally Posted by ChrisLib
Rumor has it that the `07 Tundra redesign will offer a 1 ton/ dually option, but it is still speculation as far as i know.
i've heard the same thing, however i'll believe it when i see it, and in the meantime continue to enjoy a truck made by a company who already has a diesel truck on the market

i had one of the first tundras, got sick of waiting, 3 years after i got rid of it they still don't have a heavy duty truck on the market.
Old 01-12-2006, 11:14 PM
Chapter President

What Toyota will miss out on, just as it did with the Tundra, is how loyal we are to our truck brands. Will they have good sales #'s sure, but all they will do is retain those who graduate from Tacoma-> Tundra-> HD. Cause every indication has pointed that 'Yota has not stolen much market share from the "Big 3". I know most of this is do to the fact that they don't have a fullsize engine in it, but I for one won't be running down to the nearest Toyota dealer when they do come out with one, just because it's the newest, and purtiest one on the block. They sell great cars to car buyers, and will sell most of those trucks to those types. Truck buyers are different from car buyers. MOst don't care how soft the ride is, howmany cup holders there are and so forth......
Old 01-13-2006, 06:52 AM

Originally Posted by streetsmoker
What Toyota will miss out on, just as it did with the Tundra, is how loyal we are to our truck brands. Will they have good sales #'s sure, but all they will do is retain those who graduate from Tacoma-> Tundra-> HD. Cause every indication has pointed that 'Yota has not stolen much market share from the "Big 3". I know most of this is do to the fact that they don't have a fullsize engine in it, but I for one won't be running down to the nearest Toyota dealer when they do come out with one, just because it's the newest, and purtiest one on the block. They sell great cars to car buyers, and will sell most of those trucks to those types. Truck buyers are different from car buyers. MOst don't care how soft the ride is, howmany cup holders there are and so forth......
Loyalty is one of the reasons that Ford still sells diesels despite their dismal offering of the 6.0. Some guys are on their 3rd truck (2 buybacks). Dodge and GM have good products so people may not wander over to Toyota. But if they put a flawless truck on the market that is equipped how people want it and at a great price, they will sell everyone they make.
Old 01-13-2006, 07:23 AM

Toyota will end up selling alot of these trucks to the younger crowd that are current Toyota drivers. I'm sure they'll be a good truck, but probably more of a driver than a worker though.

On a side not though, Toyota sell tons of diesel stuff worldwide and we all know of their quality. It's just a matter of time until they get into our market as well. While in Japan on business I saw hundreds of nice little diesel Nissans, Toyotas, etc... running around and they use them for work (Even though they are the size of Gator or Mule ATV. BUT, our trucks won't even fit on their streets (They're too big!) so they will have to do some adjusting to make their trucks fit into the American work truck scene.
Old 01-13-2006, 07:35 AM

I've got a Toyota Diesel in my gallery. '79 Land Cruiser with a Hino Diesel engine
Old 01-13-2006, 09:29 AM

Before everyone starts peeing all over themselves don't bet on 'Japanese' always being reliable, high quality, etc., as you gotta look at each model, see below. Toyota has also manged to end up with sludge problems in some of their most popular vehicles, they recommended too long of an oil change interval, and all the Japanese companies end up with recalls too. Granted, it's probably a good bet that a full size Toyota will end up being more reliable than a Ford, but it's still just a bet at this point. You gonna bet $35k :^)

http://www.mlive.com/newsflash/busin...list=autonews2

Experts cite Mississippi plant as problem with Nissan reliability
1/6/2006, 4:32 p.m. ET
By HOLBROOK MOHR
The Associated Press

JACKSON, Miss. (AP) — Nissan Motor Co. officials are on the defensive after four of five vehicles produced at a key plant in the automaker's expansion plans topped the annual Consumer Reports list of unreliable vehicles.

Nissan officials acknowledge there were some initial problems with the vehicles produced at its sprawling Canton plant, which opened in 2003, but they point to other surveys showing the reliability of vehicles made there is improving.

Among the Canton-made vehicles that landed in the unreliable category of Consumer Reports' study — which was based on surveys of 1 million consumers — were Nissan's Armada sport utility vehicle, Quest minivan and Titan pickup, and the Infiniti QX56 SUV.
Old 01-13-2006, 09:55 AM

Great articles guys, Toyota is going with the heavy guns with Cummins. Marketshare doesnt really concern me, whats great is more development with diesels on Cummins end! Only way to make the I6 better is to mate it with an Allison. I dont care what truck its in that would be a killer combo IMO
Old 01-13-2006, 09:59 AM
Top's Younger Twin

http://www.aisin-aw.co.jp/en/02products/02at/index.html

A link for your reading enjoyment.

They are under the DC umbrella.

Scotty
Old 01-13-2006, 10:05 AM
Top's Younger Twin

http://www.aisin-aw.co.jp/en/02products/02at/index.html

A link for your reading enjoyment.