General Diesel Discussion Talk about general diesel engines (theory, etc.) If it's about diesel, and it doesn't fit anywhere else, then put it right in here.

Toyota Diesel

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2005, 05:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Toyota Diesel

Has anyone heard if Toyota is going to start putting the Diesel in the Tundra or 4Runner. My wife is due for a new car next year and I would love to put her in a diesel……I just cant put her in a Dodge 2500 BFT. I would like for her to have a SUV or a 4 door small truck. I remember they were great engines back in the 80s.
Old 01-15-2005, 05:37 PM

I had a toyota employee tell me that there was a Toyota HD diesel in the works that should be released as an 07 model, but you know how these things go.....Toyotas motors have always been great and they still are the best you can get IMO when you compare apples to apples. Sounds like you might be interested in the new Jeep liberty with a diesel engine.
Old 01-15-2005, 08:56 PM

I talked to a Toyota salesmen yesterday and he said that I would see a hybrid before a turbo diesel here in Canada. Toyota I guess doesn't see a market for them here. My grandfather had two diesel Toyota trucks they were great little trucks. I was told that the diesel engine in the Toyota was made by Hino anyone else heard of that?
Old 01-15-2005, 09:04 PM

They have them over in Europe and in the middle-east. We have a office in Dubai and I was there for a month in August for work. I saw land cruisers with diesels in them that would be great. Also the cost is like half the only hitch in the get up is what kind of problems would I have after I got it here with registration etc. Getting it here isn’t the problem.
Old 01-15-2005, 09:05 PM

toyota own hino kinda like nissan owns UD or hyuadai owns bering and yes toyota makes the diesel in hino, nissan makes the UD diesels but bering uses detroit diesels
Old 01-16-2005, 12:31 AM

"getting it here isn't the problem" I think that's what you said tfarmer96.

Unfortunately, it certanily is. Thank the California Air Resources Board (CARB) and the EPA. It's completely related to EMISSIONS REGULATIONS that WE THE PEOPLE have supposedly stated that we wanted. Fact is, it costs too much for Toyota (and other manufacturers) to make the nessciary changes and testing to meet what is called certification for emissions. The light-duty emissions are much more strict than the heavy duty (above 8500 GVR). In 2007, new reglations go into effect that are much tighter than the current ones for diesels. for the limited market appeal for such a vechile, the manufacturers simply cannot have it make economic sense.

Want it changed? Do something about it--Write to your congressman, and have the '07 regs lowered. A minority voice caused these changes--but is was a vocal minority.
Old 01-16-2005, 07:59 AM

The only vehicle I ever lemon lawed was a Toyota. But I believe that was a single year vehicle problem with a CV carburetor. The next model year it had fuel injection. Overall I believe Toyota to be as good as any.
As good as Toyota is, I wonder why they haven't beefed up the Tundra to a GVWR of 8800 lbs. Seems like it would be a serious mid sized truck.
Looking back on my '84 Isuzu P'up diesel, I put 288k miles on it and the speedo died. We drove it two more years before finally trading it for my Mrs a Neon pocket rocket. It had the origional injectors, injection pump, clutch and other than valve adjustments, the inside of the motor never saw daylight. The gutless little truck was tough and I abused it with trailers and hard work. It had a 4.10 rear end and 14" tires and no vibrations on the interstate with the drive shaft spinning over 3,000rpm. I'm sure Toyota could do the same with the Tundra. I wish Dodge could. It's not like they don't have the best motor available handed to them.
Old 01-16-2005, 08:49 AM

96_12v that is what I was wondering about. The actual transport is no problem, but I was wondering what kind of hassle I would get from the government when it arrived. You pretty much answered that one. HOSED = YES on this idia

People always scream about the smoke coming out of our rigs. What they don’t understand is its soot. It blows out and then falls on the ground.(And looks Cool)
Old 01-16-2005, 12:39 PM

They are replaciing the Tundra body style with something larger and they will offer a diesel model. I have heard for 2005, but here we are an it is not here yet. Toyota has been training the techs on this new engine. It is definetely happening, probably delivered within the next year or two.
Old 01-16-2005, 09:53 PM

tfarmer96,

I would not want to pour water on your plans to import such a rig. I think it has to do with the year the truck was manufactured. If it's newer than 2000, forget it. But there is a place in Canada that is importing such vechiles grey-market. Check the link at the bottom to see what they have. I would be concerned that such a vechile would be an "orphin" in this country, with little to no parts avalibility and even fewer places that could work on it outside of your own garage.

http://www.mustang.bc.ca/
Old 01-26-2005, 04:38 PM

I read an article in an automotive journal that the toyota HD Diesel is targeted for 375 hp at 700 ftlbs. torque,but the writer speculated it would probably be less. Probably closer to the ctd,dura-max and psd in power rating.I had a 1990 UD class 6 truck 210 hp,590 ftlbs,with 6sp. hauling ,just in time,loads.The truck had 720,000 miles when I actually gave it to another peson.All I ever did was change the oil and filters,and ever 250,000 replace rod and main bearings. which at that time was 600.The person I gave it to drove it for a long time.I don't know what the final mileage was when he sold it to the junkyard.
Old 01-26-2005, 05:29 PM

I would speculate that if Toyota does ever release a HD diesel, then there will be a mass exodus from all of the big three. I would switch when my current rig either starts having issues or when I just get tired of driving it.
Old 01-26-2005, 07:28 PM

i know the rigs we are buying from the big three have a lot of foreign influence in them but the profits are american.
a lot of toyotas and ? are made here but the profits go overseas. seems like we are giving our economy away.
me, i will continue to drive dodges and buy "made in America" when i can.
Old 01-27-2005, 09:44 AM

Originally posted by herb
i know the rigs we are buying from the big three have a lot of foreign influence in them but the profits are american.
a lot of toyotas and ? are made here but the profits go overseas. seems like we are giving our economy away.
With all do respect, I used to think that way myself before I became aware of reality. I live 10 miles south of the Toyota Camry plant in georgetown, and I can't begin to tell you what Toyota means to this area. Not only do they provide approx 8,000 jobs at the plant, they have provided thousands of other local jobs for things such as wheels, seats, etc... Plus they donate thousands of dollars a year to the community. Some of the profits do go overseas, but for what they have done to help Kentuckians and Indianans, I consider it a great deal. I always found it funny that Japanese makers take their money and invest it back into America by building cars and trucks here which is good, yet they get a bad rap, while American auto makers take their profits and send them to Mexico or Canada, not that it's bad, but no matter who owns the corporation, where it's made probably is much more important than where their headquarters are.
Old 01-27-2005, 09:54 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally posted by herb
So, let's see, I'm driving a Mexican-built truck manufactured by a German company. Yep, that's really "American", isn't it?

Toyota is building its new HD truck plant in San Antonio, TX, so it looks more "American" to buy a Texas-built truck manufactured by a Japanese company than what I'm driving now. Hey, I already have an Acura 3.2TL-S, built in Marysville, OH by a Japanese company - it's never been back to the dealer for a warranty problem.

Rusty

Quick Reply: Toyota Diesel