General Diesel Discussion Talk about general diesel engines (theory, etc.) If it's about diesel, and it doesn't fit anywhere else, then put it right in here.

Tips On Pumping Fuel -- Good Info

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2007, 06:30 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I should put in a good word for moving the tank vent.
I have done this mod and highly recommend it to all. Before moving the vent, it was hard to get fuel standing in the fill pipe on my trucks. It would take more than 15 minutes of fighting the foam at the top of the tank. That is a long time to get the last 3 or 4 gallons in. It didn't seem to help much trying to fill the tank as slow as possible either.
Now that I have moved the vent, I can fill it as fast as the pump will pump and it hardly makes any more foam than filling as slow as possible. And now, it only takes a couple of minutes at the end of filling to get fuel standing in the fill pipe!
If you haven't done this mod; you will really enjoy it. It has a 'high bang for the buck' ratio!!
Dan
Old 11-03-2007, 09:22 AM

Somebody call Mythbusters...
Old 11-04-2007, 10:45 PM

Originally Posted by millco
But, foaming won't throw the trip computer off. Provided the stations pumps are accurate (And most are very accurate!) you are getting the quantity of fuel you are being charged for. You are paying for liquid, the pump is dispensing liquid and that is that. Now what you do with it as it is delivered or afterwards, it doesn't change the amount dispensed. Besides, the foam is gone for the most part in about 15 minutes.
I would be curious to know how our trip computers calculate mileage. They could have a way of measuring the amount of fuel being consumed by some sort of flow meter. I don't think that is how they work. I theorize that they instead approximate the amount of fuel being used by calculating it off of how long the injectors are open..... Either way, we are dealing with liquid fuel and not foam......
Now, if you can tell me how to get my overhead to be closer, I would really appreciate it. My other Cummins have been alot closer than this one. They were usually with in .5 mile to the gallon. This current lyar is often 2 or 3 miles off per gallon! (I theorize that this is another sign that something is wrong with my injection system, since it reads higher than what I actually get).
Who really knows.........
Dan
If the foaming causes the nozzle to shut off at different levels of 'full' from one fill-up to the next then you may have room for 2 gallons one time and only one the next time when you quit pumping. This scenario will obviously affect your hand-calc result but not the computer's reading. 'infidel' could check this if he has a delivery gage on his tank (since it's not affected by foaming) he will be able to exactly replace the amount used between fill-ups and hand-calculating should be exact which will allow a real comparison to the trip computer's figure.
Old 11-23-2007, 08:13 AM

Foaming will keep you from getting the tank full! Before I moved the vent, I had a hard time getting fuel 'standing' in the fill pipe. Now it is pretty easy to do and I think it is real consistant at it too.

Anyway, I have started asking Costco what their fuel temp is when I fuel up. They have a pretty good system that will show any water, fuel temp and gallons in storage. It also shows how many 'Temperature Compensated' gallons there are. For my last fuel up the air temp was 24F, fuel temp was 54F and they had 9280 gallons down there. The 'T/C' gallons were 9313 or a 33 gallon difference based on a 6F temp drop from the magical 60F.
I am pretty convinced that this whole argument and planned legislation to get temperature compensating fuel pumps installed at all stations is just going to wind up costing us as consumers a ton of money. You can't tell me that spending all those thousands of dollars on the new equipment will really do anything for us except that we will get to pay for it all.
I vote to leave our current system in place and not worry about it. It does make a difference through out the year: In the summer you are loosing a little fuel and in the winter you gain a little. It may well balance out in the long run using our current system. Even if we are getting a little loss of gallons we pay for it should be a whole lot cheaper than paying for a total new system!
Just my 2 cents worth,
Dan
Old 11-23-2007, 11:23 AM

Originally Posted by 2003Ram
The most valuable commodity is TIME. Pumping slow and filling up when the tank is half full increases the time at the station and doubles the station visits.

So in a nutshell, everyone spend more time at the station, and do it twice as often.

Bad advice.
Don't forget the time involved fueling up at certain times rather than combining fueling with other trips . Do you save more by following these tips than you use making the extra tip ? And how about the long lines if everybody followed these tips and fueled at the same time ?
Old 11-23-2007, 06:43 PM

Originally Posted by lgp9999
This is BS. I haven't done the research, it's just plain old common sense. I'm inclined to say that in most climates the tanks are far enough under ground (all it takes is a few feet) that the outside temp doesn't effect the temp of the fuel very significantly. If you can prove this theory otherwise, I still call BS for the following reason.

Lets picture a large tank of water above ground for a moment. It takes a substantially larger amount of energy to heat liquid (gasoline, diesel, water, etc.) than it takes to heat gas (i.e. air). With the average temperature change throughout a day (according to my local weather report it's an average of 14-18 degrees high vs. low), you would not see a significant change in water temp throughout the tank. If your average high was 50 degrees, and your average low was 35, then you'd see the water remain pretty much consistently somewhere in between those two numbers.

-Luke the myth debunker
A tanker truck that sits out in the hot sun here in the deep south gets pretty hot. I've seen fuel in July coming out of a pump at 80 and 90 degrees F. Up in Canada with the cooler climate the oil companies didn't cry about the added expense of converting pumps to temeprature compensated price. But down here in the US, especially the south, where they are reaping the benefits they're screaming bloody murder about the costs. Our federal government buys fuel for it's own use at tempurature compensated prices. If it's not an issue then why would they do that?
Old 11-24-2007, 07:35 PM

Time is money for me, I dont have time to do all that. I fill till the pump clicks and take off, I will be back about 2 days later. lol
Old 11-25-2007, 10:26 PM

Question

Originally Posted by millco
Now that I have moved the vent, I can fill it as fast as the pump will pump and it hardly makes any more foam than filling as slow as possible. And now, it only takes a couple of minutes at the end of filling to get fuel standing in the fill pipe!
Dan
Okay, Dan .... now that you can get the tank filled to the same level every time how does your overhead MPG compare with hand calculated mileage?
Old 11-26-2007, 01:47 AM

I've said it before and I'll say it again.....If the oil companies aren't making at least 300% profit, they start crying.
Old 11-27-2007, 06:50 AM

It doesn't seem to have any effect on my overhead mileage: It was and still is a LIAR!!
I had it in to the dealer so I asked them if they could do anything for it. It is 2 to 3 MPG over reality.... They said they installed a 'CCN flash' to help it's accuracy.
I don't know how it was supposed to work; but, it made my actual mileage go up a fair bit! It didn't help the overhead be any more accurate; but, who is complaining about more mileage out of the truck?
I'm convinced the trip computer calculates mileage from how much fuel the injectors are 'supposed' to be injecting and how many miles have been traveled since the reset was last pushed. I think my injectors are 'squirting' alot more fuel than they are supposed to. Thus the trip computer is always higher than reality........
I'm happy for the sudden increase though. I have always gotten 14 to 15 the whole time with this truck. We just went on a road trip at around 68 mph and got 18.3 mpg! Whoo Hoo!!! If I can get it a little higher I will be estatic!
Dan
Old 11-27-2007, 06:54 AM

My other CTDs were usually right on between overhead and actual. They also ran at a good 18 to 19 + MPG and 20 + on the highway. That is why I thought something is wrong with this one when it always gets 14 or 15 mpg.... Who knows? I can live with the trip computer being wrong if the truck will get 18 - 19 or more!
Dan
Old 11-27-2007, 07:13 AM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by dieselfuelonly
Well since our diesel fuel doesn't evaporate fast like gas does, would pumping slow really have any benefit?
Pumping slow allows less air to be "mixed" into the fuel, and allows time for the tiny bubbles to rise to the surface, before they are sucked into your injection pump. Filling up at 1/2 full is a good idea for this reason alone.
Old 11-27-2007, 07:18 AM
DTR's Night Watchman & Poet Laureate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Geico266
Pumping slow allows less air to be "mixed" into the fuel, and allows time for the tiny bubbles to rise to the surface, before they are sucked into your injection pump. Filling up at 1/2 full is a good idea for this reason alone.
Especially if you use the high pressure or "semi" pumps...they put alot of air into the fuel....