General Diesel Discussion Talk about general diesel engines (theory, etc.) If it's about diesel, and it doesn't fit anywhere else, then put it right in here.

Time to get a new truck... 2nd gen vs 3rd gen

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2005, 11:45 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Time to get a new truck... 2nd gen vs 3rd gen

First a little history... my current and past trucks:

'96 RAM 3500 cc 2wd auto 3.54 from '99-'01, approx 40k miles, blew tranny and traded.
'01 RAM 3500 qc 4wd HO 6sp 4.10 from '01-03', approx 60k miles, got tired of shifting
'03 RAM 3500 qc 4wd HO 48RE 4.10 from '03-Present, 41k total miles, major electrical problem and tranny problem

My '03 has been in the shop for five days (total) because of a "NO BUS" error in the guage cluster. They replaced the cluster and it still has the problem, but they can't duplicate it and have had no success in figuring it out. Meanwhile I have no vehicle except an ATV, which fortunately is registered street legal here in Montana.

I'm fed up with this truck. It's gotten awful fuel economy from the beginning... 10-11 around town, 14 combined, and if I'm lucky 16-17 on the highway at 70 mph. Now this electrical problem is at hand, and the tranny has been acting up for the last few weeks too -- there are times when it won't shift into 4th or lock the TC. Of course the dealer can't reproduce that problem either.

I'm ready to go back to a manual transmission truck and be rid of the dually (I sold my Lance camper), and I'm seriously considering about going back to a 2nd gen. Ideally I'd like a 95-98 12v 5sp 2500, but every time I find one for sale, I call on it and it just sold. I'm open to any truck with under 200k miles on it too.

So far, my calls to various dealers have come up with these three trucks:

05 RAM 2500 white 4x4 qc 6sp 74k miles for $33k
03 RAM 2500 silver 4x4 qc 6sp 51k miles for $31k
02 RAM 2500 atlantic blue met 4x4 qc 6sp 148k miles for $20k

My favorite is the 05, but due to credit issues that I won't go into, I may not get approved for it. I don't much like the 03 because it's silver and it's an 03 like my current problem truck. I like the 02 except I'm not hot on the color, but could live with it.

I want a flatbed too, but that's another story entirely... however if I found a used one with a flatbed, I'd jump on it.

Having owned the three trucks I have, I'm familiar with the improvements as the model year increases. I do love the features of the 3rd gen, but I think these trucks are getting too complicated and I'm worried about being stuck with a truck that I can't trust, like my current one.

So I'm really stuck... I don't know what to do. The 02 is attractive because of the price. I expect to get any of those three for about $3-4k off of asking (I hope)...

Thoughts?

Rob
Old 12-20-2005, 12:01 PM
Banned

id say go for the 02...but thats alot of miles for only 4 years, and the VP44 will go out a few times im sure.

$20k for a truck with 148K is insane...for 14-15K that would be a deal

if you can talk them down to about $27-28K for that 03, that would be the best deal, plus you know it will still have the nv5600 and not the new type tranny
Old 12-20-2005, 12:11 PM

I picked up my 02 with 79K miles for $20,000, I'd keep looking. I like the 5spd because all you need is a clutch to hold big power, not a whole new auto and TC. Also the SO responds better to power adds imo.
Old 12-20-2005, 12:47 PM

Thanks for the input! It's all apprecaited.

I will ask about the tranny in the 05; I don't know if it's the NV5600 or G56. Good point.

Okay, the 03 suddenly looks more attractive. I agree now that I think about it on the 02... that's a lot of miles. A friend's 99 just had its second VP44 put in at about 180k (first one since he's owned it).

I'm starting think now that I either need a 3rd gen NV5600 or a 12-valve 5sp.

Rob
Old 12-20-2005, 01:02 PM

Dang! If you didn't have bad luck, you'd have no luck at all!
Didn't you have a bunch of problems with your Lance, too? (traded mine off!)

I'd go with the 2nd Gen. Keep looking for a better priced/lower mileage one.
Sure, they have their problems, but a fuel pressure gauge will protect against breakdowns, AND there are newer rebuild models of VP-44 pumps that have upgraded electronics.

Here's what I don't like about the 3rd gens;
no front axle disconnects=poorer fuel mileage
AAM axles=drivetrain vibrations, ring/pinion failures (NEVER heard of that on the Dana axles)
HPCR engines=no B100 biodiesel use (someday it WILL be cheaper commercially than Dino!)
HPCR engines=WHEN (not if) lift pump dies, you're dead on the side of the road
HPCR engines=suseptible to injector(s) failing
G56 tranny=much lower torque rating-longevity?

The RELIABILITY factor of the 3rd gens has gone way down, in my book.
Dodge has just skimped too much on components to boost their profits, and it's costing the consumer instead.

I'm looking for a dually to haul around my camper, and it'll be a 2nd gen. for SURE.
Old 12-20-2005, 01:07 PM

I had a ton of little issues on my Lance... I finally sold it because it was too cold to use in the winter, and moving here to Montana, that was even more the case. I may get another Lance down the road, but right now I have my eye on a 5th wheel toyhauler.

Okay, time to keep looking for a 2nd gen. The only reason I'm not totally regretting getting rid of my 01 is because I'm sick of having a dually, and it had 4.10s which I'll NEVER have again, along with an automatic.

I'd still prefer an early '98 12v 5sp but those are so few and far between that it'll be nearly impossible to find one. I JUST missed one too -- it was green and had a flatbed already on it. I was ready to jump right then and there, but when I called, it had just been sold. Grrrrr.

I agree about Dodge cheapening things up. It's really sad.

Rob
Old 12-20-2005, 01:37 PM

You're right, a 12 valve would be ideal. No electronics, dead reliable.

Hint; If you're looking for a toyhauler, look into a 3 or 4 horse Living Quarters horse trailer. Plenty of room in the rear for toys, and they are WAY better built than the stick and staple RV type toyhaulers.

Look at;
http://www.horsetrailerworld.com/home/newhome.asp

I'm partial to these;

http://www.bisontrailer.com/
Old 12-20-2005, 03:59 PM

Since I'm in no huge hurry, I will keep looking for just the right truck... keep saving up for a larger down payment, etc. Thanks for the great tips!

Re toy haulers... those Bison Trailers look SWEET. Any idea what a loaded one lists for? The one I've presently settled on is the Keystone Raptor 3612DS... MSRP is about $53k for one fully loaded, should be able to pick one up in the low $40k range based on info I've gotten from various dealers. It's about the only one I've found that's insulated well enough for winter use (e.g. snowmobiling).

Rob
Old 12-20-2005, 06:09 PM

hey rob
i not too familar with the prices of trucks where you're from but in CT, they're alot lower than those #'s u posted. 33K for an 05 with 74K I bought my 05 brand new in sept for $33,500. my advice would be to go second gen if third gens are bringing that kind of $
If you can wait and find a 98 12v 5 spd that would be the cat's _ss!!!!
Old 12-21-2005, 03:48 PM

Originally Posted by RobG
Re toy haulers... those Bison Trailers look SWEET. Any idea what a loaded one lists for? The one I've presently settled on is the Keystone Raptor 3612DS... MSRP is about $53k for one fully loaded, should be able to pick one up in the low $40k range based on info I've gotten from various dealers. It's about the only one I've found that's insulated well enough for winter use (e.g. snowmobiling).
Rob
Well, the LQ horse trailers won't work for you, then. They are 3 season trailers, at best. All of the holding tanks and plumbing are mounted under the floor just hanging in the breeze. You can option up heating tape/blankets for the tanks and drain fittings, it's but not recommended for below 20*F use.

When you said 'toyhauler' I was thinking the Pismo Beach crowd!