General Diesel Discussion Talk about general diesel engines (theory, etc.) If it's about diesel, and it doesn't fit anywhere else, then put it right in here.

Time for Confession (you'll feel better)

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2013, 11:29 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bought a clean used Corvair back in the late sixties. Brakes pulled to the right a bit, but I drove it for a few months before getting around to doing a brake job. Pulled the left rear brake drum and behold - no brake shoes, no brake cylinder. Brake line capped off! And I had been DRIVING it that way!
Old 05-12-2013, 11:34 AM

Originally Posted by rockcrawler304
One of my first small block chevy builds I installed the cam, dropped in the new lifters, installed the intake and let it sit over night. Next morning I spin the engine over on the stand and hear plink plink plink as the lifters all fell out....... I forgot to put the push rods and rockers on first
You didn't build the 283 I bought back in 68 that had the rockers installed backwards, did you?
Old 05-13-2013, 05:56 PM
Advocate of getting the ban button used on him...

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by mtdoragary
You didn't build the 283 I bought back in 68 that had the rockers installed backwards, did you?
Nope

I did also forget the oil pump mid shaft ONCE. caught my self as I was putting the intake on and before I started running the bolts in.
Old 05-13-2013, 07:09 PM

I was helping my brother rebuild his 63 VW engine on my kitchen table, he thinking I was the expert, and when we cracked the case open, I said "so THAT'S what they look like on the inside!"He panicked!
Nope

I did also forget the oil pump mid shaft ONCE. caught my self as I was putting the intake on and before I started running the bolts in.
Old 05-13-2013, 08:39 PM
Advocate of getting the ban button used on him...

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by mtdoragary
I was helping my brother rebuild his 63 VW engine on my kitchen table, he thinking I was the expert, and when we cracked the case open, I said "so THAT'S what they look like on the inside!"He panicked!

I did my first VW last summer! I was thinking the same thing when I split the case!! I also learned I hate VW engines
Old 05-20-2013, 08:41 AM
There is no G. There is no G. Repeat after me, THERE IS NO G!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You guys are good. I'm now questioning why I come to this forum for truck help JK, the confessions are pretty good.

I won't say who in this house has done these but since it happened in our garage they are fair game:

- When we were living in Japan, the battery on the Rocky died. It was replaced and hooked up. Immediately the smoke was let out of the electrical wires. Truck still didn't work and worse, something new was broke. Turns out it was the fusible link that did it's job instead of the rest of the system frying out, thank goodness. Replaced it. Hooked up properly the Rokcy was running again. Turns out when the new battery was installed it was not noticed that the post polarity was reversed from the old battery. BZZZTT!

- Typical oil change, plug not put back in. Nice fresh oil slick on the floor

- Usual tranny fluid spill from dropping the pan when changing fluid & filter

- Welding the combo wrench across the battery posts when working on the motorcycle.

There's probably more
Old 05-20-2013, 10:56 AM
Sausage Aficionado (In training)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Shorts - you come here for HELP?? Are you kidding me? The rest of us come here for abuse and insanity.
Old 05-20-2013, 12:43 PM
There is no G. There is no G. Repeat after me, THERE IS NO G!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
LOL I just got a real kick in the laughing pants just now.

So, I was just filling up the truck. I fill until I see the fuel just below the drain/vent hole level in the neck. I pull out the bottle of Lucas additive, remove the little blue cap and set it on top of the tool box while I pour in the amount. Finish pouring and am looking at the bottle to see that I got the level correct. As I am a huge gust of wind blows the blue cap off the toolbox. It bounces off the bottle I am holding in my hand and into the tank.

Old 05-20-2013, 12:51 PM

Mine.

I am almost positive I replaced a perfectly good battery on the lawn mower two days ago - the brake dummy switch wasn't pressed all the way. I had the jumpers hooked to that same mower yesterday before realizing the blade was engaged.

Not entirely mine, and yes there is a thread related on this site : I dismantled the top of a 6.7 and then had my father pay to have the injectors checked (his truck) because his regular mechanic didn't know to let things set a while when putting oil in a 6.7 after changing it. $400ish to check the injectors and I won't even guess on the stainless pressure tank we made to check the seal on the cp3.
Old 05-28-2013, 04:33 AM

i picked up my pickup and about 6 months later i wanted to do my rotors and pads all around, front end went no problem,after taking the bolts out of my rear end calipers i realized somebody had used the wrong bolts and damaged the rear calipers, so i ordered two new ones ,after putting the new ones on i put the next 2 hours into trying to figure out why i couldn't get any good brake pressure ,until eventually figuring out i put the right and left calipers on the wrong side
entirely ,not my best day
Old 06-10-2013, 10:53 AM

Almost Oops.

I had the injectors cleaned and reset last year, the truck has been hammering worse and worse for a while. I had myself just about convinced one of the pump plungers was sticking. I talked to a few places about a rebuilt pump. Yesterday I got under the hood myself, tightened the #4 injector line that had the side of the head all wet, and the truck seems to have fixed the timing on that one cylinder that was making all the noise. It still isn't perfect, but I don't cringe every time I take it to 3K now.
Old 06-27-2013, 11:06 AM
DTR 1st Sergeant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I had an old '67 Nissan Patrol. Loved that old thing. I bought it with 120,000 miles... at 425k miles, I got a remote oil filter housing with a common spin on filter installed as the factory cartridge type filter was too hard to find and triple the price of the spin on.

Then the rubber line to the filter let go... no idiot lights on those things you see and by the time I saw no oil pressure... the bearings were gone.

I was 50 miles from nowhere. Repaired the leak, put in oil and drove the thing home, 3 rod bearings completely gone and one piston split in half circumferentially (the two pieces banged together in a nice harmony!) but the old girl got me home.
Old 06-27-2013, 11:10 AM
DTR 1st Sergeant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
One more,

I was doing in-flight repairs on a C-141 and down in the avionics bay...

Forgot to tell the pilots what I was doing. They crapped themselves when I started with the hammer on an avionics rack bent out of shape. Those are roughly right under their seats under the flight station.

I bought the first round when we landed!
Old 06-27-2013, 05:44 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I did my first VW last summer! I was thinking the same thing when I split the case!! I also learned I hate VW engines
Aw, come on, bugs ain't that bad! My uncle and I had it down to under 2 hours to drop the motor, replace the clutch, and have my cousin back on the road. Without any metric wrenches, even!
Old 06-28-2013, 08:08 AM
Administrator

Received 172 Likes on 130 Posts
Originally Posted by soulezoo
One more,

I was doing in-flight repairs on a C-141 and down in the avionics bay...

Forgot to tell the pilots what I was doing. They crapped themselves when I started with the hammer on an avionics rack bent out of shape. Those are roughly right under their seats under the flight station.

I bought the first round when we landed!
LOL, I would have paid to see this one..............

Quick Reply: Time for Confession (you'll feel better)