General Diesel Discussion Talk about general diesel engines (theory, etc.) If it's about diesel, and it doesn't fit anywhere else, then put it right in here.

Ticket for straight Pipe...

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2007, 03:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Haulin_in_Dixie
Living here a straight pipe is no problem but if you are in an area that enforces a muffler, what we used to do, even on big trucks, get a muffler that the inlet and outlet line up, get out the cutting torch and install a straight pipe through it, weld it back up. When they look there is one, not really but they don't know that. Same as gutting a cat.

For the cop it takes the fun out of it, too loud verses no muffler.
Thats kinda what I did with my FJ60 LandCruiser. I pulled off my CAT, which weighed prolly 35lbs for some reason(out of all the CATs my friends and I have hollowed out, mine was very heavy for some reason) Anyhow, I cut the outer shell off and ran a pipe through it and put it back in place. Worked great. Before I did that, inspection guys would never look under at my exhaust, but as soon as I did, they always look now. But I still get away with it.
Old 08-08-2007, 03:59 PM

Yeah, sounds like Texas. Because they have the annual inspection process, they target that stuff. Here in AZ, they could care less.
Old 08-08-2007, 04:14 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by edwinsmith
...The cop was probably just trying to make quota...

Edwin
Naaaw, I doubt it has anything to do with quota. I bet your buddy was trying to make an audible spectacle out of himself (not that I blame him there though ) and got spectated by the po-po.

Then the po-po watched him and used the 5 mph over as the excuse to pop him for the straight pipe.

- JyRO
Old 08-08-2007, 04:33 PM

because they're Fartleys!!! read about a guy on a sportbike that got pulled over in Milwaukee during a Hardly rally because his pipe was too loud. WTH?!?we've got the Sturgis rally and there are more dang Loud-as-heck bikes on the road. SUX the big one. every once in awhile...there might be a HD with stock pipes. Amazing!!!! just my $.02. anyways...back to the truck dealio...Love it out here...exhaust...? what's that? lol
Old 08-08-2007, 04:40 PM

Received 1,048 Likes on 770 Posts
While we're on the subject of noise, I wish they would do something about these low riders with the 2KW sound system. I was in Sonic a while back and one of these idiots pulled in next to me and his system made my teeth rattle. The sound was probably made louder by reverberating in his skull which had to be empty.
Old 08-08-2007, 05:05 PM

Originally Posted by Spooler
Boy, this sounds familiar. I too had tickets out the wazo at 20 years old. Insurance was killing me just for liability. With no muffler your buddy was just asking for it. Speeding is speeding it dosen't matter if it is 1 MPH over or 10 MPH. It's time for him to pay the piper. I had to learn my leasons the hardway also. No sympathy from me at all.........
No sympathy from me either...Ive been with this same kid when he was racing a civic doing 90+ down the interstate...I was praying hed get a ticket then. If he doesnt get a big ticket he's never gonna learn and is gonna kill himself.
Old 08-08-2007, 05:11 PM

Originally Posted by edwinsmith
While we're on the subject of noise, I wish they would do something about these low riders with the 2KW sound system. I was in Sonic a while back and one of these idiots pulled in next to me and his system made my teeth rattle. The sound was probably made louder by reverberating in his skull which had to be empty.
To change it again, I hate any noise at sonic or any drivein. Seems anytime I go to my closest sonic I can count on a power joke pulling next to me and making me listen to taht crap for 10 minutes.

Anyway, He says he is gonna keep his muffler delete and pay the fine, which is stupid for him, cause he'll be driving that road every day for the next year....I plan on either putting my reversible muffler back on or using my old ferd muffler to create an illusion.
Old 08-08-2007, 08:23 PM

Brett you live in Cresson your friend should know you can't do anything there. I drive through it weekly and someone is always pulled over. I too have EARNED about 16 tickets and I'm 20 tell your friend to go apologize to the judge and just say is there any way we can take care of this and keep it off my record and in my experience the judge will usually make you pay the fine but it won't show up on record, meaning next time your buddy is showing off and his license plate gets run there is one less violation. just my $.02
Old 08-08-2007, 11:40 PM

Originally Posted by pearlbronze2500
Brett you live in Cresson your friend should know you can't do anything there. I drive through it weekly and someone is always pulled over. I too have EARNED about 16 tickets and I'm 20 tell your friend to go apologize to the judge and just say is there any way we can take care of this and keep it off my record and in my experience the judge will usually make you pay the fine but it won't show up on record, meaning next time your buddy is showing off and his license plate gets run there is one less violation. just my $.02
Actually it happened outside of Stephenville. You seriously have 16 tickets at 20?!?!?! Dang man, I think Id slow down. Ive only been pulled over once in 5 years and it was for a taillight.
Old 08-09-2007, 08:01 AM

Ya, thats a lot of tickets. I got pulled over the other day cause I was running without a gate and the dog in the back. Just wanted to make sure she was tied in.
Old 08-09-2007, 09:02 PM

excleent reply gearjammer. pay the fine, get a muffler cause I don't want to hear your extra noise either.
Old 08-09-2007, 10:00 PM

Originally Posted by Gannetpeak1
excleent reply gearjammer. pay the fine, get a muffler cause I don't want to hear your extra noise either.
Maybe yall should read my posts. Its not mine, I think its funny he got a ticket for it, and he needs a lot more tickets than he gets. And if we get that, how bout we also add a grouchy ol fart filter...
Old 08-10-2007, 04:45 AM

Originally Posted by 231jasons
This may be true, but its not enforceable. The US title code does not provide an enforcement for infractions. State law is the only applicable law to enforce at an individual level.

Usally the muffler is a fix it ticket. In CA we have a "catch all" section of the VC that says you may not alter or modify and exhaust system. Which is riduculas because if you replace your muff with anything you would be in violation of this one. You cant win, there is a section for just about everything and usally more than one. It all depends on how well the ofc. knows the codes.
I must disagree. I too live in CA. It is true you cannot replace your muffler with anything. If you have ever replaced a muffler in CA. the shops have books for every brand they sell. They will look your vehicle up and tell you whether a given muffler is approved for your vehicle. Most shops will not install an unapproved muffler because they would then be in violation of both State and Federal Law. Your $90 muffler job is not worth 1,000's of dollars in fines and possibly the shop owners business.

This is not to say you cannot go to Pep Boys or AutoZone, buy a muffler and take it to the dude around the corner who will do anything for cash. He will deny it and it's on you.

Although a turbocharger offers some sound attentuation I have never seen it defined as a muffler. I am in heavy trucks. With the death of the Detroit 71 Series (On highway) all heavy trucks have been turbocharged for decades. Which is the reason you never see 'Turbo Diesel' as a sales pitch for large trucks and tractors. For years now we have been required to run mufflers. For a while some guys got by with certain approved resonators under the cab with straights up the back.

I gutted a muffler once and put it back on. My tractor actually ran worse - not enough back pressure. I have heard of officers sticking their batons into mufflers when checking them out. We run short stacks.

The officer did not use the speed violation as a reason to check out the muffler. That assumes the officer was prohibted from stopping the guy for the muffler violation alone. Bottomline: It is a question of "Probable Cause". Anytime an officer feels he has reason to believe you are in violation of the law he is allowed, within specific constraints, to investigate further.

The initial reason for the stop be it speed or muffler then gave the officer 'Probable Cause' to pursue any other readily apparent violations. This is why it is usually to your advantage to be cool and polite. The officer may be less inclined to flex his muscles.

It may have been that due to the lack of a muffler the officer heard the guy coming and the speed was a bonus.
Old 08-10-2007, 02:50 PM

Originally Posted by CNeubauer
I think I would fight this one in court. The law very clearly states that turbo on your buddy's truck is classified as a muffler so there isn't much they can do to him unless they try going the emission's route. Even with the loophole in the law that should get him out of trouble and I don't have a problem with straight pipes on diesels but I think there is a responsibility that comes with having them and he needs to make sure he is respecting everybody else when he's driving it.
Originally Posted by AggieJustin
From the Texas DPS website... Exhaust System Inspection Rules

20.15 Exhaust System. Every motor vehicle shall at all times be equipped with muffler in good working order and in constant operation.

Muffler defined: Muffler is a device consisting of a series of chambers or baffle plates or other mechanical design for the purpose of receiving exhaust gas from an internal combustion engine and/or turbine wheels for the purpose of receiving exhaust gas from a diesel engine, both of which are effective in reducing noise.
Guys you are reading the law wrong. It is describing the muffler as a multi-chambered devise for recieving gases from one of two places. either from the engine or from the turbo. You have to remember this is in Lawyerese not English. Your turbo is not a Muffler. Seriously. Do you not notice the difference between an engine with a muffler and one with a straight pipe, with or without a Turbo? As the underlined part says, it's for the reduction of noise. It amazes me that people complain about loud stereo's (which I don't care for either) but think that's it's cool to drown out people with loud exhaust.
Old 08-10-2007, 04:22 PM
Administrator

Received 172 Likes on 130 Posts
Originally Posted by Doctor Detroit
I must disagree. I too live in CA. It is true you cannot replace your muffler with anything. If you have ever replaced a muffler in CA. the shops have books for every brand they sell. They will look your vehicle up and tell you whether a given muffler is approved for your vehicle. Most shops will not install an unapproved muffler because they would then be in violation of both State and Federal Law. Your $90 muffler job is not worth 1,000's of dollars in fines and possibly the shop owners business.

This is not to say you cannot go to Pep Boys or AutoZone, buy a muffler and take it to the dude around the corner who will do anything for cash. He will deny it and it's on you.
I cannot speak to California law, because there are more fruit and nuts lawmakers there than anyone can keep track of, but I categorically can state there is NO Federal law regarding "approved" Mufflers. I think you may be thinking of Catalytic Converters of which there are very strict Federal replacement guidelines.

Post Catalytic exhaust systems are not covered by Federal laws.

Not arguing with you about the Turbo thing, because I read it as being to receive gasses from an internal combustion engine or a turbine.....

Quick Reply: Ticket for straight Pipe...