General Diesel Discussion Talk about general diesel engines (theory, etc.) If it's about diesel, and it doesn't fit anywhere else, then put it right in here.

Ticket for straight Pipe...

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2007, 10:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ticket for straight Pipe...

My buddy just got a ticket for 5 over and for NO MUFFLER! This is ridiculous...I read about it a while back after I got denied for state inspection the first time for no muffler. Well, someone posted something off the TXDOT site saying that a turbocharger is considered a muffler, but its gone now from my thread. Can anyone point me to it? Im gonna print it for him to take to the judge.
Old 08-07-2007, 11:13 PM

Received 1,048 Likes on 770 Posts
I saw that post and I read the law and it just isn't true that a turbo qualifies as a muffler. If he wasn't speeding he probably wouldn't have gotten the ticket for no muffler. The cop was probably just trying to make quota.

Edwin
Old 08-07-2007, 11:27 PM

Ya Im sure he was, plus my buddys got some 2-3 tickets on his record at 19, which SURE doesnt help. I like to think if and when I ever get pulled over my shiny record might help...I think Ill run some pipe through the ol dodge muffler I pulled off the truck and stick er back on, since this cop patrols the road that Ill be living on starting next week.
Old 08-07-2007, 11:42 PM

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
From the Texas DPS website... Exhaust System Inspection Rules

20.15 Exhaust System. Every motor vehicle shall at all times be equipped with muffler in good working order and in constant operation.

Muffler defined: Muffler is a device consisting of a series of chambers or baffle plates or other mechanical design for the purpose of receiving exhaust gas from an internal combustion engine and/or turbine wheels for the purpose of receiving exhaust gas from a diesel engine, both of which are effective in reducing noise.
Old 08-08-2007, 12:09 AM
Banned

It does not matter what Texas law is on this,Federal Law supersedes it..

The Federal Law mandates that IF the truck came with a muffler it HAS to be on there and you can be failed for emissions testing,state inspection and cited for failure to have one.

I know many have removed them along with the cats,but,since you knew it when you did it,why be upset,pay it and move on......Andy
Old 08-08-2007, 12:33 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Hammer
It does not matter what Texas law is on this,Federal Law supersedes it..

The Federal Law mandates that IF the truck came with a muffler it HAS to be on there and you can be failed for emissions testing,state inspection and cited for failure to have one.

I know many have removed them along with the cats,but,since you knew it when you did it,why be upset,pay it and move on......Andy
This may be true, but its not enforceable. The US title code does not provide an enforcement for infractions. State law is the only applicable law to enforce at an individual level.

Usally the muffler is a fix it ticket. In CA we have a "catch all" section of the VC that says you may not alter or modify and exhaust system. Which is riduculas because if you replace your muff with anything you would be in violation of this one. You cant win, there is a section for just about everything and usally more than one. It all depends on how well the ofc. knows the codes.
Old 08-08-2007, 07:51 AM

i got pulled over years ago by a state trooper for speeding,and while we were setting in his car,he starts to open the door and says he needs to go check out my muffler as it sounded loud.i told him don't bother there ain't one,he just got back in the car.said "oh ok"and thats all there was to it.still gave me the speeding ticket though.
Old 08-08-2007, 10:51 AM

My buddy called the judge this morning. The cop wasnt just being a jerk, seems theyre cracking down on all the rowdy teens in expensive loud trucks. Just so happens my buddy drives a straight pipe lifted 3rd gen...
Old 08-08-2007, 11:08 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
......and so why is it that motorcycles can get away with 10x the sound? Without question, the most obnoxious machines on the road.
Old 08-08-2007, 11:20 AM

Originally Posted by Baja
......and so why is it that motorcycles can get away with 10x the sound? Without question, the most obnoxious machines on the road.
Thats a real good point,I've been next to some bikes that are so loud that I can't even hear my radio. And yet cops don't bother those guys.
Old 08-08-2007, 11:39 AM

With as many tickets as your buddy already has I think I would fight this one in court. The law very clearly states that turbo on your buddy's truck is classified as a muffler so there isn't much they can do to him unless they try going the emission's route. Even with the loophole in the law that should get him out of trouble and I don't have a problem with straight pipes on diesels but I think there is a responsibility that comes with having them and he needs to make sure he is respecting everybody else when he's driving it.
Old 08-08-2007, 12:04 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Boy, this sounds familiar. I too had tickets out the wazo at 20 years old. Insurance was killing me just for liability. With no muffler your buddy was just asking for it. Speeding is speeding it dosen't matter if it is 1 MPH over or 10 MPH. It's time for him to pay the piper. I had to learn my leasons the hardway also. No sympathy from me at all.........
Old 08-08-2007, 12:07 PM

Originally Posted by Baja
I got passed by a motorcycle this morning though and couldn't hear anything other than the motorcycle... not the straight pipe roaring or the turbo spinning up 15 psi of boost... that's highly unusual...

I don't know if it's the most obnoxious machine or not... I'd rather listen to a cycle than an import fully equipped with fart can...
Old 08-08-2007, 02:12 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Living here a straight pipe is no problem but if you are in an area that enforces a muffler, what we used to do, even on big trucks, get a muffler that the inlet and outlet line up, get out the cutting torch and install a straight pipe through it, weld it back up. When they look there is one, not really but they don't know that. Same as gutting a cat.

For the cop it takes the fun out of it, too loud verses no muffler.
Old 08-08-2007, 03:32 PM

What this site needs is a whining teenager filter.I have here at home,i keep in my size 10 boot.

Quick Reply: Ticket for straight Pipe...