General Diesel Discussion Talk about general diesel engines (theory, etc.) If it's about diesel, and it doesn't fit anywhere else, then put it right in here.

Strange encounter

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2007, 02:56 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Strange encounter

I was sitting at a light in Portland today, and at the same intersection (heading a different direction) was a Toyota Tundra with a regular cab and flat bed. The strange thing is that it was a dually!!! I didn't get a close enough look at it underneath to see if they put one ton leaf springs under it, nor did I happen to notice if it was 8 lug. The entire time I was staring at it my jaw was on the floor! Why the heck would anybody do something like this? Somebody who doesn't know their trucks, obviously. Not that a Tundra is bad, but it is what it is... same reason that nobody in their right mind ever bought a 1 ton Dodge with a 360.

Anybody ever encounter something like this?
Old 09-27-2007, 03:01 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by lgp9999
I was sitting at a light in Portland today, and at the same intersection (heading a different direction) was a Toyota Tundra with a regular cab and flat bed. The strange thing is that it was a dually!!! I didn't get a close enough look at it underneath to see if they put one ton leaf springs under it, nor did I happen to notice if it was 8 lug. The entire time I was staring at it my jaw was on the floor! Why the heck would anybody do something like this? Somebody who doesn't know their trucks, obviously. Not that a Tundra is bad, but it is what it is... same reason that nobody in their right mind ever bought a 1 ton Dodge with a 360.

Anybody ever encounter something like this?
Actually have seen this actually quite offen I believe the medical term is stupidity, like the other day i saw some guy talkin how sweet his new airbags on his tacoma where if you need airbags on a tacoma than you need a bigger truck
Old 09-27-2007, 03:04 PM

does'nt sound as stupid as the '80s toyota dually 'motorhomes',now those were funny!
Old 09-27-2007, 04:30 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by scootertrash35
does'nt sound as stupid as the '80s toyota dually 'motorhomes',now those were funny!
LOL, those were funny. I forgot about those!

Old 09-27-2007, 05:00 PM

Yep, there is an older Nissan with a flatbed and duals running around town. Must be a rare 3/8 ton version.

I also saw a '78 Toyota 4x4 motor home for sale that had duals on it.

Last edited by BigHornCTD; 09-27-2007 at 05:03 PM. Reason: added info
Old 09-27-2007, 05:17 PM

I bet those Toyota motorhomes were fun to drive in the mountains with a good headwind. Your left arm would get tired after a few miles of waving people around you.
Old 09-27-2007, 06:05 PM

Originally Posted by lgp9999
... same reason that nobody in their right mind ever bought a 1 ton Dodge with a 360.
OMG then my mind is not right since two weeks ago I placed an order for two 1 tons with the 5.7 and I also drive a 1 ton with the 5.7.
Old 09-27-2007, 09:16 PM

Talking

I know these are for looks not real purpose, but you've got to admit these are pretty cool looking. I doubt someone in a real 1 ton would be able to easily see them on the road, though.

Old 09-27-2007, 10:04 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The owner's manual for my '86.5 Nissan 4x4 pickup (I never understood the "hard body" name -- mine rusted into as many soft pieces as you can imagine!) had a section showing the proper rotation of the dually wheels, if equipped. I never saw a Nissan Hard Body dually, but I have seen them in other countries. Depending on the region, the dually isn't necessarily for extra load but can be for extra flotation over soft roads. Look at the really early TT and AA trucks Ford built -- they all had dualls, and were not powered by anything exceptionally strong or powerful. I also see many 5 cyl. MB powered dually Sprinter Cab/chassis trucks on the road -- not very high on power, but with the reduced truck weight, they have a good payload allowance.
Old 09-27-2007, 10:08 PM

Originally Posted by ISBoy
I know these are for looks not real purpose, but you've got to admit these are pretty cool looking. I doubt someone in a real 1 ton would be able to easily see them on the road, though.

i'm gonna be sick
Old 09-27-2007, 10:31 PM

Here's the answer to your quandry
Old 09-28-2007, 10:02 AM

I bet there are people out there bad mouthing dodge trucks also. They probably say stuff like why do those guys need that much truck, If they needed a truck that big why didn't they buy a Peterbilt.
Old 09-28-2007, 03:10 PM

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by diesel_burner
I bet there are people out there bad mouthing dodge trucks also. They probably say stuff like why do those guys need that much truck, If they needed a truck that big why didn't they buy a Peterbilt.
There are people badmouthing all types of vehicles. It's one of the things that makes all of us different.
Old 09-28-2007, 06:49 PM

Originally Posted by graphitecumnz

gvw of 18750 and 25 mpg
Old 09-28-2007, 07:58 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The first pic looks like a dodge dually bed, the second a ford, the third ????

I saw a U haul "truck" that was a yota dually.

Quick Reply: Strange encounter