General Diesel Discussion Talk about general diesel engines (theory, etc.) If it's about diesel, and it doesn't fit anywhere else, then put it right in here.

So apparently the Cummins WILL warm up while idling

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2007, 12:14 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
So apparently the Cummins WILL warm up while idling

Well, last night after work I went out with some co-workers. It became a late night, and after having a few drinks, the party began to split. Since my driving condition was questionable, I decided to take a nap in my truck (Don't drink and drive, kids, mmmmkay?). The temp was down in the 30s, so I started my truck (it was completely cold... it had sat there for around 7 hours) to stay warm. It took the better part of an hour, but the temp did eventually come up into operating range.

I was always under the impression that it would NEVER warm up without a load on the engine, but I guess that's not the case. It just takes a LONG time.
Old 12-01-2007, 12:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Good deal on NOT drinking and driving.

Taking an hour to warm is up almost never, they will warm up eventualy but as you found out it can take some time, depending on the temp outside.

The trucks high idle probrable kicked in and helped out.
Old 12-01-2007, 01:29 PM

Sitting behind the wheel will get you charged with DUI in many states , even with the engine off .
Old 12-01-2007, 02:32 PM

when i was in the same situation i was in the drivers seat with the keys on the passenger seat, cops seen me asked where my keys were i told em and wasnt a problem. had me call someone to pick me up but thats it...
Old 12-01-2007, 03:02 PM

A friend of mine got dui on Christmas eve because the keys were in the ignition. I read the report, it said that he was 15 feet off the highway and it took several attempts to wake him. the report said he told the officer that he was to drunk to drive and the party was over so he started the truck to stay warm and sleep the drunk off. It cost him his job, dr license for 1 year and community service. Not to mention the money he has to spend now for the higher insurance and the lawyer that did nothing for him. I have known this fellow for around 8 years and he would never drink and drive. He only has a few drinks once a year at the employee Christmas party.
Old 12-01-2007, 03:10 PM
Banned

The cop was probably PO'ed he was working on x-mas eve and wanted to make sure everyone he came in contact that night had a worse night than him...I know I'll will get bashed for saying that but my bro-inlaw is a sgt. and belive me I hear stories.....Just proves even when you try to do the right thing, it can still come back to bite you in the ***.
Old 12-01-2007, 03:28 PM

Around here there's a couple of churches that will give you a ride home and even a tow company that will bring you and the car home free during the holidays .
Old 12-01-2007, 05:37 PM

We have a origination called "Operation Red Noise" its a group of volunteers that well drive you home and your vehicle for free no questions asked. The volunteers are scanned by the police department too keep it safe for you and your vehicle. They have been doing this for a few years now and is a huge help in keeping the roads safe. Remember this is the season to bring family and friends together for a good time. NOT to bring them together for a funeral, So please dont drink and drive.
Old 12-01-2007, 08:22 PM

Originally Posted by lgp9999
Well, last night after work I went out with some co-workers. It became a late night, and after having a few drinks, the party began to split. Since my driving condition was questionable, I decided to take a nap in my truck (Don't drink and drive, kids, mmmmkay?). The temp was down in the 30s, so I started my truck (it was completely cold... it had sat there for around 7 hours) to stay warm. It took the better part of an hour, but the temp did eventually come up into operating range.

I was always under the impression that it would NEVER warm up without a load on the engine, but I guess that's not the case. It just takes a LONG time.
If you cut a 1x2 stick to length and prop it between the foot pedal & seat you can coax a 1,100 rpm high idle which is much better for your engine and will warm the truck in about 20 minutes.

Smart choice on the not driving. Remember, Washington DUI law has a quirk that if you park in a business lot after hours it is trespassing. Trespassing means you can get charged with DUI.
Old 12-01-2007, 08:56 PM

You mean totell me these trucks won't warm up in the winter?
Old 12-01-2007, 09:30 PM

Originally Posted by Wv7o
Good deal on NOT drinking and driving.

The trucks high idle probrable kicked in and helped out.

Point #1 -- Thanks for Not driving, even if you may have still been charged for sitting in the veichle. I understand your intentions were correct.

Point #2 -- He has a 12 valve mechanical engine - no high idle feature except a piece of wood, your foot, or an aftermarket hand throttle. I think I may install a hand throttle sometime soon.
Old 12-01-2007, 10:39 PM

Originally Posted by 96_12V
Point #1 -- Thanks for Not driving, even if you may have still been charged for sitting in the veichle. I understand your intentions were correct.

Point #2 -- He has a 12 valve mechanical engine - no high idle feature except a piece of wood, your foot, or an aftermarket hand throttle. I think I may install a hand throttle sometime soon.
That will teach me to read the signature, oops
Old 12-01-2007, 10:51 PM

Here in MO, If your in the truck and have the keys inside the cab, your busted. Glad you chose not to drive and the cops were cool about it.
Old 12-02-2007, 12:11 AM
DTR's Night Watchman & Poet Laureate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sounds like the officer excersised some good discretion, but most states the DUI laws, read "operating, or attempting to operate" or similar wordage, so you can be charged if the total circumstances are such that you apear to be attempting to operate a vehicle.

My 12v will warm up eventually, but I really try not to idle it that long.....fuel simply costs too much...
Old 12-02-2007, 01:42 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Not to mention how bad extended idling in cold temps is for a diesel engine.

JH

Quick Reply: So apparently the Cummins WILL warm up while idling