General Diesel Discussion Talk about general diesel engines (theory, etc.) If it's about diesel, and it doesn't fit anywhere else, then put it right in here.

Snow Plow questions...need answers

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2008, 09:30 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Snow Plow questions...need answers

Wife and I moved into a newer place with a long 110' slightly uphill side driveway and also a long sweeping curved front driveway in front of house. I only plan on using the plow for my own property and I would rather not leave it on the truck all winter. I'd like to be able to attach it when i need it for a few days when we get snow and pull it off until we get more. I live in northern Indiana right next to the Michigan border and we can see quite a bit of "Lake Effect" snow when the winds pick it up from Lake Michigan.

I really don't think I 'need' a major league plow ( read expensive) but I also don't want to buy something that will fall apart after the first hard use. Has anyone heard anything good or bad about the Snowbear BB200 plows? They have electric motors to raise/lower the plow instead of hydraulics which I assume is keeping the cost down too.

Any and all information is appreciated.
Old 10-22-2008, 09:46 AM
DTR's "Cooler than ice cubes 14 miles North of North Pole" member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
You get what you pay for with plows and they run the gamut. Don't know much about the plow you mentioned. Most of the bigger name plows have a quick hitch of some kind that takes less than a minute to mount or dismount so you don't have to leave it on. Also snow dosen't stick to a poly plow as much and they are cosiderly lighter than a steel plow. Do some research and deside what fits your needs. Plenty of oppinions will follow.
Old 10-22-2008, 10:23 AM

I don't have experience with the specific plow that you have mentioned. In picking brands, it is important to look at their reputation but also which ones have good dealers close to you since you will need to see one from time to time.

The key to making the quick mounting feature work on most plows is having a good level place to put the plow. If you have a dirt driveway which is kind of bumpy, it will be really hard.
Old 10-22-2008, 11:46 AM

Your best bet would be to go to some local snowplow dealers and see if they have anything used you can buy from them...

Sometimes car lots will be selling them as well since they don't like to put trucks for sale with plows attached to them...for whatever reason.

I personally, would find something that is electric over hydrualic...almost a bulletproof design...

I've had good luck with Blizzard and Boss plows...they are both simple to put on and take off as well...

I don't know about this close to plow season, but if you can find a used one, you can probably get it for around the same price as a new snowblower.
Old 10-22-2008, 05:02 PM

Snowbears are junk Period ! your truck would destroy it. Find a used name brand, with a good dealer for support, and you will be good to go.
Old 10-22-2008, 06:25 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Poly plows are heavy compared to all steel.They need more reinforcement for the support.of the mold board.
Old 10-22-2008, 06:56 PM
Administrator ........ DTR's puttin fires out and workin on big trucks admin

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Fisher make a plow called the homesteader "personal" snow plow. It is small and light weight and made for driveways.

http://www.fisherplows.com/modeldetail.asp?model=hs

Tim
Old 10-22-2008, 08:06 PM

I bought a year old Boss off of Craigslist which was used by the owner for personal use. Bought the mount used off of Ebay, and the rest of the wiring and stuff off the internet. The whole deal cost me about $2500 and is in perfect working condition. I did install myself which saved me $$.
The Boss works great and is easy to take on/off. The only problem has been the lack of snow!! I believe the snow bear units have to be angled manually which will get old real fast.
Good Luck!!
Old 10-23-2008, 04:25 AM

Often you can find an older truck with a plow cheaper than you can buy and install a plow . Just a plow frame will put extra wear on your truck .
Old 10-24-2008, 08:50 AM

Wow! Thanks for all the responses guys. I posted and haven't had a chance to check back but I was expecting 1 maybe 2 replies...Lots to think about and I am checking local car lots, auto trader and asking anyone with the plow mounts on the front of their truck. Everyone has a different opinion and I appreciate everyone taking the time to help me out. I'll post back when I make up my mind and throw down some cash.

Thanks again,

Brian
Old 10-24-2008, 04:26 PM

my expierence with western plows are good. we have three on our shop trucks were i work. seem to be easy to get parts for and very easy to mount and dismount.