General Diesel Discussion Talk about general diesel engines (theory, etc.) If it's about diesel, and it doesn't fit anywhere else, then put it right in here.

a simple pleasure associated w/ colder weather...

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2004, 09:06 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
a simple pleasure associated w/ colder weather...

it's FINALLY getting down into the 40's/50's here in Dallas... we were still sweating our butts off and getting sunburnt and eaten up by mosquitos last week!

anyhow, got up this morning, fired up the truck, and had to run back into the house for something... but I had to pause for a second to watch that sweet light blue haze pouring out of the stacks

the truck hazes all the time, even when the motor is hot, but you can't always see it unless the light is right... but when the motor is cold, ESPECIALLY when it's colder out, it's pretty visible.

Forrest
Old 11-03-2004, 02:23 PM
Banned

Same here in C.S. I hate the cold though. I'm a cold blooded mammal.
Old 11-03-2004, 03:45 PM

I love the color of the leaves, the sound of them crunching under my steps, the silence. THEN The drone of the my 4in exhaust CTD as it warms and gets a winshield scraping and to see the neighbors all awake from a dead sleep peerin outside to see what the commotion is.
Old 11-03-2004, 04:15 PM
Thats MR Hoss to you buddy!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally posted by BigBlue
I'm a cold blooded mammal.
Yeah....we know.
Old 11-03-2004, 04:18 PM
Thats MR Hoss to you buddy!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally posted by BIGBADBOB
I love the color of the leaves, the sound of them crunching under my steps, the silence. THEN The drone of the my 4in exhaust CTD as it warms and gets a winshield scraping and to see the neighbors all awake from a dead sleep peerin outside to see what the commotion is.
Hehehe....I actually had my next door neighbor tell me that he can hear me crank up my truck in the mornings. I tried to hide the smile of delight within me, but I think he caught glimpse of it because he went on to say that he was usually awake anyway.

My wife doesn't like it when I park in the garage because it rattles the plates she has hanging on the wall in our formal dining room.
Old 11-03-2004, 07:08 PM
Banned

I was pulling away from a job today and there was a little kid standing right behind the truck when I fired it. My buddy said the kid jumped 6' straight up.

Hoss, if I wanted your opinion I'd give it to ya.
Old 11-03-2004, 08:05 PM
Banned

I can remember back when I was still just dreaming about owning a Cummins, a guy about half a block down and across the alley from me had a 24v. when he lit that thing off in the morning, I could hear it clear as day lying in my bed. talk about a sweet sounding alarm clock!

Forrest
Old 11-04-2004, 06:47 AM

I love to be going down the road and see someone outside and i get on it and they turn all the way around to see what it is. and also going around town its even better to be right infront of someon in the other lane and my exhuayst is right next to there window that is down and they have to roll it up becuse they have never heard such. I can remembered one time going up a mountin i had all this power but this little red nissan got in my way all the way up it so we pulled to a red light and i centered my exhuast right up to his window, i knew he had no clue what was coming. so at the green light i punched it and when pulling a trailer it smokes a bit more than usuall and i swear that black smoke went in one window and out the other. they had to pull over at hardees to air it out i think.
Old 11-06-2004, 01:41 AM

Re: a simple pleasure associated w/ colder weather...

Originally posted by Forrest Nearing
but I had to pause for a second to watch that sweet light blue haze pouring out of the stacks
Time for a newb question, WTH is it coming out bluish looking? If it were oil I don't think I'd be happy, fuel is white, carbon black. So either you're happy your valve seals are bad or I missed the boat somewhere a few miles back.

Gotta love the anti-tailgating feature integrated to the accelerator. Just have to wait for them to get close enough then let them enjoy what they came for. It may only be 5 cylinders and 3 Liters but it still rolls out a little cloud under boost at "WOT."
Old 11-06-2004, 03:19 AM
Banned

When you've got alot of fuel, your truck will probably smoke some at idle. That's what he's seeing.
Old 11-06-2004, 08:34 AM

Ah, ok now I understand thanks BB. My car does that but I think my injectors need replacement, it is more of a light grey smoke. Just recently it has started nailing in the first gear I takeoff in when cold, then after that it is quiet. Anyway I'm building up a pop tester to test them for pattern and pressure. Do the 370s come with their pressures set in a pretty tight range? Have to justify a new tool some way.
Old 11-06-2004, 11:48 AM
Administrator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Re: a simple pleasure associated w/ colder weather...

Originally posted by BoostdCTD
Time for a newb question, WTH is it coming out bluish looking? If it were oil I don't think I'd be happy, fuel is white, carbon black. So either you're happy your valve seals are bad or I missed the boat somewhere a few miles back.
Must remember, Diesel fuel is oil.

White smoke in the morning does have a blueish tint, but not as blue as a gasser burning oil.

Raw Diesel out the tailpipe is white/bluish, cold combustion.

phox
Old 11-06-2004, 09:13 PM

Yea I suppose so but I thought it was the really high sulfur and aromatics that makes it look bluish when burning motor oil.

Hmm I've only had one diesel that let out the white smoke like that when cold, it looked more like a snow white just not as dense. I guess I never noticed the bluish hue of it.
Old 11-07-2004, 01:54 AM

My wife doesn't like it when I park in the garage because it rattles the plates she has hanging on the wall in our formal dining room.
If you have stacks, make sure you don't rev it while it's in there, i got ripped once because there were two black circles on the ceiling. LOL I just expected smoke, not a soot cannon.

Ian
Old 11-07-2004, 12:23 PM

is it ok when it is cold after i start it up to give it alittle throttle until the white smoke clears. it looks kinda cool with all that white smoke.

Quick Reply: a simple pleasure associated w/ colder weather...